PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive Irrational Fears

bizzle15
07-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Hi all,

I joined this forum in hopes that I could get some help or at least hear from other people that this anxiety is manageable. My question is, when anxiety turns into obsessively thinking about something, an irrational fear, how do you shake it? It seems like it is something new every day. I would bet my life savings that the thing I am worried about is not possible, yet I can't stop worrying about it. I am convinced that the absolute worst end will happen. An I won't be able to stop thinking about it for a week or so.

What do you do?

mrslizzyg
07-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I am a lot like you with my anxiety- my obsessive thoughts about scenarios can drive me absolutely bonkers. Mine comes in cycles, it's not constant.

Everyone handles it differently. I personally don't take any meds, so I find ways to keep myself busy. Exercise helps keep my endorphins up.. I watch anything funny I can find to make myself laugh.. Go out for a nice walk.. Play with my dogs..
ANYTHING to keeps my mind off whatever is plaguing me at the time.
It's not a perfect thing. I have days where this doesn't seem to help or I can't sleep all night.. But you know what? The worst thoughts I have, never end up being real. It all passes and the days go on, everything turns out OK in the end.

Now, if this is something keeping you from enjoying life at all.. I would recommend seeing a doctor and maybe consider medications or therapy to help you through. :) You are NEVER stuck, though.

bizzle15
07-14-2015, 03:55 PM
Thanks. If I may ask you a question or two...Do you ever worry obsessively about things you KNOW aren't true but still worry anyway? Like you KNOW it is nearly impossible and illogical but you can't get the worst-case-scenario out of your head?
Thanks for the tips. Exercise is great. I do this as well as I don't want to take medication if I can help it.

bizzle15
07-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Thanks. If I may ask you a question or two...Do you ever worry obsessively about things you KNOW aren't true but still worry anyway? Like you KNOW it is nearly impossible and illogical but you can't get the worst-case-scenario out of your head?
Thanks for the tips. Exercise is great. I do this as well as I don't want to take medication if I can help it.

mrslizzyg
07-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Oh yea! More than half the time is it something totally illogical. It sucks! But my anxiety does everything it can to try and trick me into thinking it SOMEHOW did happen.

bizzle15
07-14-2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks a lot. So I'm not a freak...Did anyone tell you to take medication, stop "worrying so much", etc.? Sorry for all the questions.

bizzle15
07-14-2015, 04:31 PM
If you're comfortable, can you offer one of your more outlandish scenarios as an example? Because mine are WAY out there.

Macke
07-14-2015, 05:23 PM
If you're comfortable, can you offer one of your more outlandish scenarios as an example? Because mine are WAY out there.

I could offer one if you want.

Although I must say as a warning, I think sharing these may be a bad idea, as it might trigger you or something, but here we go:

EDIT: I deleted it, since even people without anxiety get anxious about these things when I tell them, maybe i shouldn't post it here, but it's philosophical anyways, and very very disturbing.

bizzle15
07-14-2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks. Understood. It's just good to know that you're not alone and others go through similar things. Sometimes you think your anxiety is far beyond anything that anyone else could understand. But being on this form lets me know that there are others and it is bearable. Thanks for your replies.

bizzle15
07-15-2015, 05:52 PM
thanks everyone