PDA

View Full Version : I'm Screwed

simp
07-13-2015, 08:10 AM
So I just really want to sort of talk/vent since I don't know where else to share my current state of mind and I am sure many of you have felt this way.

I'm a married 27 year old, extremely supportive wife, I live a pretty good life, but anxiety and depression have controlled me everyday since at least the first grade. I have not had a real job since 2013 because I literally have a phobia to commit. I'm petrified as to why this is and have tried to hide the feeling by running odd ball jobs and trying to start a couple of small businesses now, even working from home. It has come to the point where I'm horrified that I won't get better. I'm currently on Wellbutrin, Prozac, Gabapentin, and Xanax on an as needed basis for panic attacks.

My overall health the past six months or so has been great. I have been getting out a lot, motivation is higher, I'm losing weight due to a lot of exercise, and so on. The Xanax was a gift from God and I find myself not needing to take it but it's more like a "emergency backup" so I can take it with me and just knowing I have it if I need it keeps me from having a panic attack.

Anyway, I was just told about a job. Not even offered a job. I agreed to go and talk to some people about it tomorrow and now I have been having panic attacks, nausea, stomach issues, etc. I'm scared for my own future. I'm scared that I will never be anybody despite my mindset thinking I will be. Sometimes it's a constant fight to just get out of bed. I don't understand where this fear comes from. I have had some bad experiences especially in my school days. I use to get sick from stress a lot, which then lead to panic attacks about getting sick or having panic attacks. My last job was supportive but I had to call out a lot, I would force myself to go many days hoping things would improve once I got out there but would have to leave early. It was a horrible experience and I swear it lead to me literally being horrified of committing to someone on a job type basis. Even agreeing to meet someone for lunch scares me sometimes. I don't even like making family get together plans in advance because I know I may end up worrying about worrying.

I have been going to therapy, regular pdoc visits to stay on my medicine, nothing helps. What DID help was having the hope of potential businesses I was starting and a opportunity of doing some independent contractor work with my dad. I think that little amount of freedom and normalcy let me deal with everything else like seeing friends or going to a family get together a breeze. It feels like I can't do it all though. The past week or so everyday I wake up in a panic. I'm still trying to start a business, still looking at other opportunities, but my brain keeps going into limp mode and no matter how hard I fight I can't get ahead.

Anyone else feel this way? What did you do? It's not like I can get disability or something, I want to be a successful individual, I want to feel purpose, I feel like I'm failing at life and won't be able to continue this forever.

mrslizzyg
07-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Hey there! So I have never been in your exact situation- BUT I do rememeber having depression so bad at one point I pretty much never went to work. I got lucky and had a very understanding boss at the time... But I felt worthless constantly..

Personally, I think you need to push through and actually start a job. I think it at least needs to be something you can enjoy(to an extent someone can enjoy work, I guess), and maybe even something part time? You might panic before you start. You might panic before/after interview. But you know what? I think when you actually start working you will FEEL BETTER. It will give you that feeling of success & purpose. You just have to get over the giant mountain your anxiety is putting in front of you to get there.

Misery loves company, right? So anxiety + depression want you to STAY with them! Anxiety and depression tricks you into thinking whatever it needs to, to keep you from finding anything that could make you happy.

You have to let yourself have it, even if it is hard to get there...You KNOW what you want!

Anyways.. just my advice. :) Good luck!