PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with me? Depression?

khernández99
07-03-2015, 06:27 PM
In Late May (2015) I started getting stressed and paranoid. I started to feel depressed but thought it was from exams and school stress and I could get away from everyone and be ok in the summer.
School closed in June and I still felt depressed. It got worse in June.
OCD got worse. It went from 5/10 to an 8 or 9/10. It was the non-emetophobia OCD though. (Counting, intrusive thoughts, etc.)

There are reasons for it but it is hard to talk about. I worry about things and feel depressed. I already talked to someone about it (guidance counselor) but she didn't help. The a. parent's know but I don't have help. They have known about the phobia since 2003.

The next doctor's appointment is in November. I will say something about depression but I don't know if I want to talk to people / therapist. If they are like the guidance counselor I spoke to a few months ago, I want to avoid therapy.

A problem everyday since Late May.

gypsylee
07-03-2015, 08:03 PM
Hey there,

November seems an awful long time to wait to see a doctor. The guidance counsellor doesn't sound very good either - not all therapists are bad, but many are unfortunately. It sounds like you do have something you need to talk about so maybe you could get an earlier appointment with a doctor who can refer you to a counsellor. I don't know how the health system works where you are though, so it might be easier said than done.

Anyway, there's always people here to talk to :)

All the best,
Gypsy x

khernández99
07-06-2015, 05:36 PM
I might try to persuade a doctor's visit before August but I will see.
Thanks.

superchick22684
07-06-2015, 10:05 PM
November is a long time to wait to see a medical professional if you feel depressed. In addition to the increase in OCD that's a lot on your shoulders. I agree with Gypsy that trying to get in to see someone sooner would probably be a good idea. I don't know if its this way for you or not but sometimes worrying about things makes the depression worse.

Not all therapists are the same however sometimes it takes a little bit of work to find the one that works well for you. Are you on any meds?

elharto
07-07-2015, 10:48 AM
You must go see a doctor and/or a counsellor immediately! The more you let this live on longer, the more it will drag you down. Also, don't be afraid to socialize with people who bring out the best in you, and this may seem a bit off, but if you just released all your thoughts and feelings to someone, you will feel like a huge thorn has been taken off your chest.

Good luck! x

gypsylee
07-07-2015, 09:31 PM
I don't think you need to see a doctor *immediately* - it's easier said than done for a lot of people :)

I just think it's important you feel like there are people who you can talk to, even if they are strangers on a forum.

Nowuccas
07-24-2015, 02:34 AM
Perform an internet search for the terms: "depression quiz". If indicated:
Identify the cause. Was there a triggering event? If so, it is probably reactive (situational) depression: counselling, psychotherapy, or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is indicated. Or was it a more gradual thing, with no apparent cause? (a nutritional deficiency, hypothyroidism, environmental toxicity, or reactions to some medications, such as Advil etc., becomes more likely). St. John's Wort helps most people; tolerance doesn't develop, and the few side effects don't occur often, and even then are normally not severe. It doesn't cause sleeping problems, or weight change, and usually takes at least 2, and generally 4 - 6 weeks to become effective, but can sometimes work quicker than antidepressants.

A multidimensional approach to treating depression without medication follows. All except for no. (7.) are safe to use with medication, but not SJW, because of interactions, and it's sensible to check out anything else first, like supplements, such as SAMe, 5-htp, or L-phenylalanine, with your doctor. (1.) Take at least 4 Omega 3 fish oil supplements, daily: (certified free of mercury) it is best if consumed with an antioxidant, such as an orange, or its FRESHLY SQUEEZED juice. If vitamin E is added, it should be certified as being 100% from natural sources, or it may be synthetic: avoid it! People with the lowest levels are 11 times more likely to be depressed. 58% of Americans are deficient; 90% for those with heavy melanin pigmentation. Go to a doctor and ask for a 25(OH)D, also called 25-hydroxyvitamin D, blood test. When you get the results, don’t follow the typical “normal” reference range, as these are too low. The OPTIMAL value that you’re looking for is 60 ng/ml (150 nmol/l)".

The NOAEL (No observed adverse effect level) specified by the Institute of Medicine is 10,000 IU/day. Around 1 person in 300 is allergic to it, so start out with only 1,000 IU on the first day, if supplementing. Vitamin D is not a true vitamin, but a hormonal substrate that is vitally important for the activation of almost 3,000 genes in the body. Its main cofactors are: zinc, magnesium, vitamin K2, and boron.

Test again after 8 weeks, then at least twice yearly, until you can be confident of being in the required range, but still test annually. The amounts from food and multivitamins are insufficient, and sensible sun exposure should take place when the sun is 45° from horizontal, or more. Even light haze will absorb most of the sun's UVB. If your latitude is above 35°, you won't be able to get sufficient vitamin D from sun exposure in the winter months. The highest ratio of UVB to UVA occurs between 11 and 1, but the UV index may be too high in summer.

Also take a vitamin B complex which is certified as being 100% of natural origin; the deficiency in vitamin B9 (folate, or folic acid) that most depressed people have, is known to cause depression. Around 30% - 40% of depressed people have low vitamin B12 levels.

(2.) Work up slowly to at least 20 minutes of daily exercise, or 30 - 60 mns, 5 times weekly in daytime, outside. Too much exercise can cause stress; unwanted when dealing with depression. (3.) Occupational therapy (keeping busy allows little time for unproductive introspection, and keeps mental activity out of less desirable areas of the brain). (4.) Practice a relaxation method, daily, and when needed. Perform an internet search for the terms: Progressive muscle relaxation, and meditation; use whichever works best for you. (5.) Initially, at least, some form of psychotherapy or counselling; later, perhaps either Cognitive Behavio(u)ral Therapy, or Rational Emotive Behavio(u)ral Therapy for up to 6 months. (6.) Maintain a mood chart, and daily activities schedule. (7.) As options, if desired, either a known, effective herbal remedy, such as St. John's wort, (get a German variety, if possible; local ones may vary in effectiveness. Perika, Jarsin, and Kira brands have been recommended as being effective*. Take with a meal), Supplements, such as SAMe, 5-htp, L-phenylalanine (from vitamin and health food stores, some supermarkets have old/inferior types, or mail order: Google: " ... ; supplies") may help.

If using a RECOMMENDED * brand of St. John's Wort, and if also using UP TO 50mg of 5-htp daily, in addition, (or UP TO 200mg of 5-htp if NOT using the wort. I note with interest that in the study referred to, 300 mg of 5-htp was used) take with a very low protein meal, to maximise the amount crossing the blood/brain barrier, with no, or extremely little protein 2 hrs before, to 2 hrs afterwards. I suggest beginning with 50 mg on the first day, and if no adverse reaction, keep increasing it until reaching the desired level, to let your system accustom itself to it gradually. Google maximum safe dosage.

Alternatively, use SAMe (S-adenosy-L-methionine) but nothing else. Has the advantage of working more quickly than St John's wort. Use only the butanedisulfonate form in enteric-coated tablets, or in capsules. The usual dosage is 400 to 1,600 milligrams daily, taken on an empty stomach. Take lower doses (under 800 milligrams) once a day, a half hour before the morning meal. Split higher doses, taking the second a half hour before lunch. I'd avoid medications, except as a last resort, and even then, only use temporarily, as they don't address the causes, merely (imperfectly) treat the symptoms, and carry risks, and side effects. They all have anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effects as well as antidepressant ones.

80% of people in the Western world have low magnesium levels; which can cause depression.

Books on depression: "Lift your mood now." by John D Preston, Psy.D., & "Feeling Good - the new mood therapy" by David D. Burns, M.D., & Self-Coaching: How to Heal Anxiety and Depression, Joseph J. Luciani Ph.D., from your bookstore, or online.

OCD is an anxiety spectrum disorder, and the obsessions and compulsions are a way of avoiding, or coping with it, so; treat the underlying anxiety effectively, replacing your habit with EFT. Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. YouTube: "EFT". Perform an internet search for: "Progressive muscle relaxation", and use whichever works best for you.

It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so pathetic/useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind. Having identified and labelled it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!"

You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version. Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method.

Herbal remedies, such as Passionflower, or St. John's wort, (Perika, Jarsin, or Kira brands are recommended) are often effective, but the idea is (as with anxiolytic medication) to use them like water wings, or training wheels on a bicycle, providing initial support, and giving time for other treatments, such as therapy, and relaxation techniques, to take effect.

Relevant reading: Coping With OCD: Practical Strategies for Living Well With Obsessive-compulsive Disorder by Bruce M., Ph.D. Hyman and Troy Dufrene, & Overcoming Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Client Manual: A Behavioral and Cognitive Protocol for the Treatment of OCD (Best Practices Series) by Gail Steketee, & Confronting the Bully of OCD: Winning Back Our Freedom One Day at a Time by Linda Maran, from your bookstore, or online.

"Write down those paranoid thoughts and rank, on a scale of 1-100, how certain you are of them. Write down alternate thoughts or explanations and rate those 1-100. Go back to your paranoid thoughts and re-evaluate your convictions, 1-100. This is a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy technique".

Zenlover
07-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Hello,
Why don't you search in your community for a support group for anxiety and depression? You can search on google. Support groups can be excellent to get additional support and are lead by a mental health professionals.

Zenlover

Anacin
07-31-2015, 12:09 AM
Try to see someone sooner if you can.

RoderickLariviere
09-07-2015, 03:54 AM
It is better to visit a doctor soon and take some medicines for your depression.