PDA

View Full Version : Finally have an appointment with a psychiatrist

superchick22684
07-02-2015, 09:11 PM
I finally was able to find a psychiatrist that is covered by my insurance. As a side note, don't get me started on the health care system in this country. So I'm booked to see him next Thursday and I'm not sure what to expect because I haven't seen a psychiatrist since 2006 (right after I got diagnosed in college). I see a therapist weekly to bi-weekly but up until now I've just had my gp take care of my meds. However my gp was a resident and pretty much admitted he had no idea what he was doing in terms of meds.

I asked my therapist a few questions today because there's been a few weird things going on anxiety and mood wise in the last few months. He didn't feel real comfortable giving me elaborate answers so I'm going to write those down for the other guy. I kind of feel this responsibility to go in with a list of questions or at least know why I'm there because I don't want to pay to see this guy and just sit there. I'm not really that great around people that I don't know either so having something written down might help keep the anxiety level down. I'd rather not have an attack in his office during my first appointment.

Any tips or thoughts to help me get through this first appointment or what to expect??

Im-Suffering
07-03-2015, 07:21 AM
What do you want to expect?

All of your life you have been driven by the expectation of others. These expecations are nothing more than personal beliefs and ideas about life or as you would term it, opinions. So its time to form your own expecations, and examine your beliefs to determine if they make you happy or sad.

No ones opinions can make up for the lack of opinions (care), or errant opinions (false beliefs) from mom and dad. People spend their whole lives superimposing a mental picture of their parents onto everyone else in their world, hoping, finally for some approval and or validation of worth.

Your expecations or outlook should come from within, not without. But remember the ones from within are filtered by your beliefs, as possible or not to materialize in your world as an experience.

You understand? If not PM me before your appointment.

Work on your beliefs, but work on finding them first. They are conscious, and if you examine your thoughts with your therapist you will make some great strides as to where your life is headed.

"Today and regurlarly i have these thoughts and or feelings/emotions associated with them. They do not make me feel good about... me. Where do they come from, and lets see if they are valid as far as my current experience, or maybe just old outdated hurtful childhood beliefs"

This is the best i can do for you on a message board where its a free for all so to speak. But if you were a client in front of me id tell you the same thing.

Kuma
07-03-2015, 07:26 AM
I finally was able to find a psychiatrist that is covered by my insurance. As a side note, don't get me started on the health care system in this country. So I'm booked to see him next Thursday and I'm not sure what to expect because I haven't seen a psychiatrist since 2006 (right after I got diagnosed in college). I see a therapist weekly to bi-weekly but up until now I've just had my gp take care of my meds. However my gp was a resident and pretty much admitted he had no idea what he was doing in terms of meds.

I asked my therapist a few questions today because there's been a few weird things going on anxiety and mood wise in the last few months. He didn't feel real comfortable giving me elaborate answers so I'm going to write those down for the other guy. I kind of feel this responsibility to go in with a list of questions or at least know why I'm there because I don't want to pay to see this guy and just sit there. I'm not really that great around people that I don't know either so having something written down might help keep the anxiety level down. I'd rather not have an attack in his office during my first appointment.

Any tips or thoughts to help me get through this first appointment or what to expect??

I would not worry too much about being "prepared" for the first appointment. The psychiatrist will have a lot of experience with "first appointments." Just be prepared to describe to him what you are feeling and why you decided to come see him. He will pretty much guide you from there. A list of questions is OK, if you want, but certainly not necessary. Congrats on taking an important step toward recovery....

jessed03
07-03-2015, 07:59 AM
I think you'll be just fine. You've been around this forum for a while, so you've articulated your problems to us already.

Like Kuma said, going with questions is fine, but it's also fine not to. These people are trained to deal with patients far more volatile than anxiety sufferers, so they usually know how to get the best out of a session.

Good luck!

superchick22684
07-03-2015, 09:12 AM
What do you want to expect?

All of your life you have been driven by the expectation of others. These expecations are nothing more than personal beliefs and ideas about life or as you would term it, opinions. So its time to form your own expecations, and examine your beliefs to determine if they make you happy or sad.

No ones opinions can make up for the lack of opinions (care), or errant opinions (false beliefs) from mom and dad. People spend their whole lives superimposing a mental picture of their parents onto everyone else in their world, hoping, finally for some approval and or validation of worth.

Your expecations or outlook should come from within, not without. But remember the ones from within are filtered by your beliefs, as possible or not to materialize in your world as an experience.

You understand? If not PM me before your appointment.

Work on your beliefs, but work on finding them first. They are conscious, and if you examine your thoughts with your therapist you will make some great strides as to where your life is headed.

"Today and regurlarly i have these thoughts and or feelings/emotions associated with them. They do not make me feel good about... me. Where do they come from, and lets see if they are valid as far as my current experience, or maybe just old outdated hurtful childhood beliefs"

This is the best i can do for you on a message board where its a free for all so to speak. But if you were a client in front of me id tell you the same thing.

Thank you.

superchick22684
07-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks Jesse and Kuma.

While I may have articulated my problems to you guys pretty well I'm way better at writing things down than verbalizing them. I just communicate better that way. While I know they are trained to deal with more volatile patients than anxiety sufferers I'm a worrywart (oh anxiety). I promised Gypsy I'd let you guys know what goes down so I will update y'all after the appointment. I'm just concerned I'm going to be loaded down with unnecessary heavy duty meds and turn into a zombie at this point.

Don't have much of a choice though I've been on the same meds for awhile and even with different coping skills and methods the anxiety is still making things difficult socially, at work etc. I miss being able to go certain places without having to worry that something involving one of my phobias is going to make it impossible to enjoy my day.

gypsylee
07-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Oh good luck :)

It sucks that it's so hard for you to even get to see a psychiatrist because then there's added pressure to make the most of it. Just beware of anti-psychotic meds is my advice.