PDA

View Full Version : Colouring Books for Adults to Reduce Stress

gypsylee
07-02-2015, 02:55 AM
Someone mentioned this a while ago - they do colouring-in as a way of reducing anxiety. I just saw this article and think it's a great idea. I might even give it a go myself..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-02/love-leads-to-adult-colouring-in-book-boom/6589906

:)

superchick22684
07-02-2015, 09:43 AM
I find doing many things that are artistic to be a huge stress reliever whether its singing to the radio in the car, dancing to music alone in my living room or doing crafts and yes even coloring. I've found that when I have something to focus on (other than what is stressing me out or making me anxious) that I get in a zone of being relaxed or even peaceful.

If you don't want to actually go out and invest in a adult coloring book there are several places online that you can download coloring pages for free. Some of the ones that I've come across that I really like have inspirational/motivational quotes combined with nature scenes.

gypsylee
07-02-2015, 07:35 PM
I actually ordered a couple online :) my mum has all these good coloured pencils as well. Somehow I think mum will end up doing it more than me lol.

needtogetwell
07-02-2015, 09:47 PM
I actually ordered a couple online :) my mum has all these good coloured pencils as well. Somehow I think mum will end up doing it more than me lol.

I just ordered some too. Gonna use them as I sit at the hospital when his husband has treatments.

gypsylee
07-03-2015, 05:12 AM
Good idea :)

JohnC
07-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Will you gals do me a favor and let me know how that works. I suck at meditation ( sorry Dahlia i try ) so maybe this will work for me.

needtogetwell
07-07-2015, 04:26 PM
Will you gals do me a favor and let me know how that works. I suck at meditation ( sorry Dahlia i try ) so maybe this will work for me.

It's really easy. What did your kids do with crayons and a colouring book? Same principle.

These colouring books are made for adults, the designs are intricate, and the idea is to focus only on what you are doing. For many it is very soothing. The hard part is refocusing on what you are doing, and let those random thoughts just pass through your mind. Don't force the thoughts to go, just pick up another colour and keep working away,

Go onto Amazon and search adult colouring books. A huge number will come up.any random designs but also many with mature themes. ( think those may appeal to you John)

Anyway, this is not just for girls. Try it, it is just a small investment of a book and some coloured pencils or markers.

You probably have a ton of those in your house right now, they likely belong to your kids. Other than a book, Google adult colouring pages, you will likely find many free printable ones.

Cheers my friend, good to see you.

needtogetwell
07-07-2015, 04:28 PM
I hate autocorrect!!!!!!!!

It wasn't mature themes I was thinking of, although they may be enjoyable ( hehehe) I meant nature themes.

JohnC
07-07-2015, 04:48 PM
I hate autocorrect!!!!!!!!

It wasn't mature themes I was thinking of, although they may be enjoyable ( hehehe) I meant nature themes.

LMAO, I thought that my real secret got out for a second, whew.

needtogetwell
07-07-2015, 04:52 PM
LMAO, I thought that my real secret got out for a second, whew.

At least I got you to laugh! And your secret is safe with me!

JohnC
07-07-2015, 05:04 PM
As sad as it is i don't laugh too much any more now that i think about it. i can remember when i was younger and on an occasion or two my friends and i would burn a joint and just laugh uncontrollably.......... i miss those days.
I turn 50 later this month and i have never had a birthday affect me like this one. i can't put my finger on why but it sucks. i have been really depressed as of late and i shouldn't be.
Sorry for the ramble but THANKS for the chuckle

needtogetwell
07-07-2015, 05:18 PM
As sad as it is i don't laugh too much any more now that i think about it. i can remember when i was younger and on an occasion or two my friends and i would burn a joint and just laugh uncontrollably.......... i miss those days. I turn 50 later this month and i have never had a birthday affect me like this one. i can't put my finger on why but it sucks. i have been really depressed as of late and i shouldn't be. Sorry for the ramble but THANKS for the chuckle

I know exactly how you are feeling. I turned 50 in April. And that birthday hit me hard too, it takes a couple of months to get past the idea that you have more time behind you than you do in front of you.

My health anxiety kicked in reAlly bad, it had taken a couple of months for that to settle down.

Hang in there, 50 isn't bad, and someone tolde me 50 is the new 30. Not sure I want to repeat 30 but what the hell.

JohnC
07-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Thanks Pam, i'll try to tell myself that. Happy belated birthday by the way ;)

machastney
07-07-2015, 05:22 PM
I can well believe this. Sometimes I do jigsaw puzzles or play mahjong to calm down. Really helps me :)

needtogetwell
07-07-2015, 05:25 PM
I can well believe this. Sometimes I do jigsaw puzzles or play mahjong to calm down. Really helps me :)

I do jigsaw puzzles too. Really helps to let your mind go blank and just search for the pieces.

Sam.A.k.
07-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Coloring books sound nice. I'll have to find time to try it out

gypsylee
07-07-2015, 09:21 PM
I got my colouring books in the mail the other day :) haven't had a chance to have a go but they look pretty cool.

mrslizzyg
07-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Have you tried them out yet? I'm thinking about getting some.. :)

needtogetwell
07-10-2015, 09:30 PM
I got my colouring books in the mail the other day :) haven't had a chance to have a go but they look pretty cool.

I got 2 today. They are amazing.

aicherrrr
09-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Thank you for the link. I think ordering these would be really beneficial for me!

needtogetwell
09-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Thank you for the link. I think ordering these would be really beneficial for me!

There are lots of free adult colouring pages on the web. Just search adult colouring pages. Saves you having to buy an entire book.

Just have some coloured pencils or markers and away you go.

Very relaxing for me. Especially when my mind starts racing.

aicherrrr
09-02-2015, 11:49 AM
That is amazing, thank you so much. Off to Google right now!

greightful
09-14-2015, 05:47 PM
I have a few of these. I got them at my local bookstore. I'll be honest, I haven't colored in them a lot since purchasing them. However, I think they can be very helpful and do reduce stress. I also draw every now and then. I'm not a great artist, but, I'll sit down with a sketch pad and draw something in the room. Or an animal like a bird. Anything. I've thought about trying out painting too. I think any type of coloring, painting and/or drawing reduces anxiety. It's all related to meditation. While you're focused on coloring in a picture, you're focused on that one task. You're focused on the here and now instead of thinking about the future or the past. That's what you do when you meditate. You can even simply go for a walk and do the same thing. Focus on each step you take. Even repeat something like, "with this step I am walking forward." Or, count your breathing as you walk. Sorry, I just got off topic.

Katie Hall
12-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Coloring books are a great way to help relieve anxiety. I have an animal coloring book that I enjoy a lot right now.

Anne1221
12-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Someone told me about this recently and I had no idea they were now selling coloring books for adults! I like the idea of getting them off the web, free and easy. I think any type of craft is very relaxing.

Katie Hall
12-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Someone told me about this recently and I had no idea they were now selling coloring books for adults! I like the idea of getting them off the web, free and easy. I think any type of craft is very relaxing.

Crafts in general can be very relaxing. I love how there are many different varieties of coloring books for adults available online and in stores.

cloudy black
12-08-2015, 06:02 PM
most of the things i used to like doing i no longer can do as it causes me anxiety arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh! i just wotch the box

Katie Hall
12-09-2015, 09:06 AM
most of the things i used to like doing i no longer can do as it causes me anxiety arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh! i just wotch the box

That is rough. Is there really not much you can enjoy without experiencing anxiety?

cloudy black
12-09-2015, 09:25 AM
That is rough. Is there really not much you can enjoy without experiencing anxiety?
big thanks Katie
i did try the colouring book and got myself some really nice pens. but i just couldnt relax. oh many thanks for this link. yes i am trying different approaches this forum is one of them. been keeping a mood diary and i didnt realise how bad my anxiety is. i always reckon i have more of the depression.

Nervous Ninny
12-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Most of the time if I can I run, however in the winter months that get's difficult. I can run on a treadmill however I don't enjoy it as much. Of course when I am in the middle of a social anxiety I can't just take of running lol although the thought of that sounds funny to me. Me just running through a parking lot at a Christmas party with a nice dress and shoes on, I may just think of that and get a chuckle the next time I'm in that situation :)

JaneCrory
12-11-2015, 05:13 AM
I have ordered some of these therapy colouring books. I usually try to manage my anxiety by reading or doing word searches. But I want something different so I will give these a try :)

Katie Hall
12-11-2015, 03:35 PM
I have ordered some of these therapy colouring books. I usually try to manage my anxiety by reading or doing word searches. But I want something different so I will give these a try :)

I now have two coloring books after my roommate gave me one and I swear by them.

Carl Lot
12-30-2015, 11:41 AM
the best method i've tested is the alpha method, in few minutes 100% of the anxiety and stress will vanish to let the place to a very fresh energy.

jaydedjen110
01-05-2016, 09:37 PM
I love my mandala coloring book. Feels so good actually finishing one of them.