PDA

View Full Version : anxiety without depression?

matty_t
06-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Hey guys, this is a confusing one. I suffer from very bad anxiety as I'm sure many of you do too. However, sometimes I'm afraid that I might get depressed, or that I am depressed. The thing is...it seems like it's just anxiety telling me I am. I've never actually had depression, there are things I enjoy a lot. Obviously as the anxiety mounts it makes it harder to feel happy. But I never lose hope, and I always feel like doing things no matter what. Why does anxiety convince me so much that I'm depressed??

gypsylee
06-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Does it really matter whether or not you are technically depressed though? If you never lose hope and always feel like doing things, then it isn't an issue. I think maybe you think about things too much (don't we all!)

:)

matty_t
06-26-2015, 04:05 AM
Haha to a logical mind, your response is actually perfect. Then when my anxiety kicks in I'm like..wait is this right?

I actually really like your response. What I guess has got me thinking about it is all the information I'm hearing about depression so that my anxious mind kicks in and goes "what if I become depressed too?" Realistically though, I've been suffering anxiety, panic attacks, ocd etc. for almost a decade and very rarely have felt like overwhelming depression. Possibly I am just getting myself worried that I might be depressed if I feel anxious all the time.

needtogetwell
06-26-2015, 04:19 AM
It's your anxious mind in overdrive again, looking for something which doesn't exist.

You definitely have your head screwed on straight, you see it for what it is!

You've got this!

matty_t
06-26-2015, 04:51 AM
Haha thanks, I absolutely know it is an inappropriate thought, my mind is just very very good at convincing me otherwise at the time :P

gypsylee
06-26-2015, 05:35 AM
Haha to a logical mind, your response is actually perfect. Then when my anxiety kicks in I'm like..wait is this right?

I actually really like your response. What I guess has got me thinking about it is all the information I'm hearing about depression so that my anxious mind kicks in and goes "what if I become depressed too?" Realistically though, I've been suffering anxiety, panic attacks, ocd etc. for almost a decade and very rarely have felt like overwhelming depression. Possibly I am just getting myself worried that I might be depressed if I feel anxious all the time.

I'm glad you like it :) The anxious mind is very open to suggestion, so I guess the fact that anxiety and depression go together makes you wonder "do I have depression as well?" But like I say, if you don't feel hopeless then you probably aren't depressed.

matty_t
06-26-2015, 05:49 AM
Yeah I've been through some of the worst anxiety periods and even at their worst, I don't think I really lost hope. I always had a glimmer of "well I haven't tried this, maybe it would work too" whether it be new medication, new therapy etc. Unfortunately, I had experience with pschs and councilors making the assumption that I was depressed, and gave me a whole bunch of information related to it, most of it I couldn't identify with. It ended up confusing my anxious mind. The good news is that I just made my way through another relapse of anxiety which wasn't nearly half as bad as how it used to be (as in I am still here typing in this forum instead of having to run out of the house and walk around the block for no reason haha)