PDA

View Full Version : Hello Im a new user

whitekd1
12-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Kyle and I'm a 30 year old male who has been suffering from anxiety/agoraphobia for about 2-3 years now. I was doing some online research and came across this site. I've never been on a message board or forum of any kind, but I figured I would give this a shot because I have noticed my anxiety symptoms starting to reoccur. I went to the doctor after a few months of experiencing anxiety, and after taking medication for a while, it seemed to resolve almost all of my problems. I had the occasional anxiety attack, but nothing I didn't think I could handle. For some reason though, seemingly out of nowhere, I started having them again. First in the car, then at work, then at the mall, it really threw me for a loop. I'm still taking my medication, and I've never stopped, but now it seems if I'm not driving to and from work a certain way, or at home, I'm very nervous and anxious and I just know I'm going to have an attack. I don't know if anyone else has experience a "relapse" or anything like that, I just thought I would see what others had to say. My apologies for the long welcome, it seemed easy to keep typing once I started. Thanks in advance,

Kyle

Vikki
12-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Welcome. :D It's ironic that your asking about relapses cuz things just went backwards for me too.

Anxiety started really kicking in for me in September of this year, before that I didn't realize what was going on. Blamed it on all kinds of other things before realizing it was anxiety.

Meds helped for a while, but this last week things have started up again. I was really nervous driving to the library today and twice last night I was woke up by anxiety jolts (not sure what else to call them).

I don't know if it's a relapse or what. The Dr. actually increased my meds so this whole thing is frustrating and scary for me. I thought I had things under control.

Your not alone
Vikki

whitekd1
12-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Hi Vikki, thank you for your response. My Dr actucally increased my dosage, very minimal, but an increase nonetheless. I thought it would make things better, and it has to an extent, but I still fear certain locations on my drive home, or even other highways I don't normally drive. I've always loved driving, and being alone on long drives, but I fear I'll never be able to do that again.

Another thing I experienced for the first time was having an attack while I was running. Have you ever experienced anything like that? I love to run, and it has been something that has always relaxed me, and I love being outside. But now I'm afraid of being outside even to go on short walks away from my apartment. If I get too far away from a building or in a remote part of a park, I really have a hard time.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that has "relapsed". It really surprised me that I started experiencing these feelings again. Once again, thank you Vikki,

Kyle

brickyard_red
12-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Welcome Kyle. I'm glad you found this forum. I'm sure you will find that many have relapsed, it's an easy thing to have happen during the holidays. It's a stressful time. Maybe with the new year things will settle down and get back to a normalcy you're used to. Hope so. Again, glad you're here.

Cath :)

Vikki
12-28-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm sorry to hear that anxiety has stopped you from doing what you love, like running and being outside. Are you seeing a therapist at all? We can't rely on meds alone...I just learned the hard way. I felt a lot better when I was going to my therapist, but couldn't afford her so I have been going it alone. Now I feel like I am back to square one again, with the anxieties jumping up when you least expect them.

Today I am starting with a new therapist and am very nervous. It is hard to find the right person to deal with anxieties especially where I live.

Hang in there
Vikki