PDA

View Full Version : New to the board, not new to anxiety

CR_Chris
06-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Hello all,

today I've joined this forum, not only to help myself but to try to help others too. I'm 34 and I've had anxiety my whole life, but have gradually become better at managing it, such that bouts of anxiety are now only occasional. I'd like to be able to share some of that empathy when I'm up, and to get strength and support from others when I'm down.

However, for what feels like the first time in my life, I have also recently started experiencing the symptoms of depression - and that's something I'm going to need some help with too, because I haven't ever dealt with that before, even though it has some similarity to anxiety.

Looking forward to meeting some good people and making friends. :)

Chris

needtogetwell
06-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Welcome Chris,

Some really great people here.!

Look forward to your input.

Cheers

JohnC
06-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Hi Chris, Welcome to the forum.

superchick22684
06-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Welcome to the forum Chris!

Kuma
06-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Hello all,

today I've joined this forum, not only to help myself but to try to help others too. I'm 34 and I've had anxiety my whole life, but have gradually become better at managing it, such that bouts of anxiety are now only occasional. I'd like to be able to share some of that empathy when I'm up, and to get strength and support from others when I'm down.

However, for what feels like the first time in my life, I have also recently started experiencing the symptoms of depression - and that's something I'm going to need some help with too, because I haven't ever dealt with that before, even though it has some similarity to anxiety.

Looking forward to meeting some good people and making friends. :)

Chris

Hey Chris. Welcome. We sure could benefit from your experience in learning to better manage your anxiety. Have a look around the General forum here, which tends to be the most active of them. Any particular triggers you can think of for the recent depression? Or did it just sort of show up at your doorstep, so to speak?

CR_Chris
06-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Hey Chris. Welcome. We sure could benefit from your experience in learning to better manage your anxiety. Have a look around the General forum here, which tends to be the most active of them. Any particular triggers you can think of for the recent depression? Or did it just sort of show up at your doorstep, so to speak?

Hi all, and thanks for the welcomes!

Kuma, yes, I got my heart broken recently and am grieving for a relationship that never came to pass. Except it's worse than just grief and anguish over an event; it's affecting my whole life. I've lost weight, I'm drinking too much, getting out of bed is a *real* struggle and at work I'm just slumped there barely able to function. The outward symptoms are pretty similar to anxiety, but so far I'm only very mildly anxious. Worse is the feeling of utter hopelessness about the future.

I guess I should take these things to the depression board, eh? Lol.

Kuma
06-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Hi all, and thanks for the welcomes!

Kuma, yes, I got my heart broken recently and am grieving for a relationship that never came to pass. Except it's worse than just grief and anguish over an event; it's affecting my whole life. I've lost weight, I'm drinking too much, getting out of bed is a *real* struggle and at work I'm just slumped there barely able to function. The outward symptoms are pretty similar to anxiety, but so far I'm only very mildly anxious. Worse is the feeling of utter hopelessness about the future.

I guess I should take these things to the depression board, eh? Lol.

Sure, you could move to the Depression Board, but don't worry too much about that. People here are not strict about what board you use, and plenty of people use the General Discussion Board just because it is the most active. A "disturbance" that is a reaction to a particular situation or event (such as a lost relationship) is sometimes referred to as an "Adjustment Disorder." You can read a little bit about Adjustment Disorders, including the DSM-V diagnostic criteria, and various types of Adjustment Disorders, such as "Adjustment Disorder with Depressed Mood," here: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2192631-overview

Of course, I am not diagnosing you. That would be presumptuous and I am not qualified anyway. But if you read this, it might resonate with you. You might think "yea, that seems like it might be what's going on with me." The good news is Adjustment Disorders tend to be readily susceptible to treatment, through therapy and sometimes medication. Indeed, many people have gotten past their Adjustment Disorders in relatively short order (not overnight, of course).

My advice would be to see a psychiatrist to talk about this. Why suffer in silence? The sooner you start working on this, the sooner you will feel better. I know it can be hard to take the first step. But it is worthwhile. (And try not to self-medicate with alcohol. It is tempting, when you feel bad, but it does tend to make things worse). You will get past this.

In any event, let us know how it goes.

Jenn3030
06-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Hi Chris..

I know exactly what you are going through.. I can't seem to get a hold of my anxiety and I have begun to shows signs of depression.. it's good to know we aren't alone in this maddening issue.. I've yet to find anything to help me with my out of control thoughts.. I just know something has to change..

CR_Chris
06-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks Kuma, I hadn't heard of Adjustment Disorders... I'll look into that. I am seeing a counsellor at the moment, which is positive. As for the alcohol, I'll steer clear of the Scotch... beer only.

CR_Chris
06-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Hi Chris..

I know exactly what you are going through.. I can't seem to get a hold of my anxiety and I have begun to shows signs of depression.. it's good to know we aren't alone in this maddening issue.. I've yet to find anything to help me with my out of control thoughts.. I just know something has to change..

Hey Jen, it is good to know we're not alone. For the longest time I really thought that I was the only person who really got this anxious about stuff. What kind of out of control thoughts are you having?

Jenn3030
06-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Hey Jen, it is good to know we're not alone. For the longest time I really thought that I was the only person who really got this anxious about stuff. What kind of out of control thoughts are you having?

Hi Chris..

My thoughts are completely out of control when it comes to my health and how every little thing equals the end of my world.. for instance instead of heartburn, I'm immediately having a heart attack.. everything is always the worse and I can't stop my racing thoughts.. they have consumed me and my life.. it's a struggle to jist get up and go to work... what about you Chris??