PDA

View Full Version : Happy Fathers day!

needtogetwell
06-21-2015, 11:27 AM
Wishing all of you guys here with kids a very happy Father's Day!

Hope you get to spend the day exactly how you want, and that you don't have to be the one doing the grilling!

Dads are the best people around!

Kuma
06-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Thanks! Brunch with the family at a good local restaurant, and then reading the paper and relaxing. Excellent fathers day.

MainerMikeBrown
06-21-2015, 03:15 PM
My dad is a good man, and I'm glad he was able to enjoy Fathers Day with me today.

NixonRulz
06-21-2015, 06:20 PM
My gem of a dad left my mom whilst she was pregnant with me

I hope he is enjoying his day no matter what bar he is passed out in

They always say that people strive to always be even better than their parents were to them

That won't be a very hard challenge

needtogetwell
06-21-2015, 06:33 PM
My gem of a dad left my mom whilst she was pregnant with me I hope he is enjoying his day no matter what bar he is passed out in They always say that people strive to always be even better than their parents were to them That won't be a very hard challenge

The big question is did YOU have a good Father's Day? Without a doubt you are a great dad and deserve nothing but the best!

jessed03
06-21-2015, 06:36 PM
My gem of a dad left my mom whilst she was pregnant with me

I hope he is enjoying his day no matter what bar he is passed out in

They always say that people strive to always be even better than their parents were to them

That won't be a very hard challenge

If you think your upbringing was bad, spare a thought for Stock's kids.

They had to send 1,104 different fathers day cards this year.

NixonRulz
06-21-2015, 07:25 PM
If you think your upbringing was bad, spare a thought for Stock's kids.

They had to send 1,104 different fathers day cards this year.

It's a shame. How long can you expect a kid just walking up to random people saying "daddy?"

Not only did they once again not find daddy, they have writers cramp

Great signature, by the way

NixonRulz
06-21-2015, 07:28 PM
The big question is did YOU have a good Father's Day? Without a doubt you are a great dad and deserve nothing but the best!

I did. Thanks, Pam

jessed03
06-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Thanks. My dad was/is an alcoholic too. Functional enough to stick around though. Barely.

Have a good fathers day.

NixonRulz
06-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Someday maybe he and I will meet for the first time

Nah. Not going to happen

gypsylee
06-22-2015, 01:08 AM
Father's Day is in September in Australia. Just sayin'.

Ponder
06-22-2015, 03:10 AM
I was an alcoholic, a drug addict, a prostitute, homeless, a criminal and many other labels ... but none of them was actually me. (People change and are not so easily defined) Thankfully I was able to distinguish between such labels, myself/s and my own kids. Best thing that every happened to me was my kids ... and even during my years of self destruction, any child that crossed paths with me, always brought out the best I had to offer. No one could ever fault me as a Father - even in my weakest hour.

Generally I am not into such celebrations, however in a time that is seeing many families more divided and kids growing up withing the confines of institutionalized day care facilities ... I think we could use more days that celebrate family more often and more equally.

I have to admit, I envy the amount of focus that Mums seem to get during the year, compared to that of us mere Fathers. If I could assist the scales with regard to equality; that's one place I would start. Each gender is capable of as much care giving and love as the other. Unfortunately, I do not believe this is reflected like so.

They should merge the two days into one and also do away with the gender based quotes.

Thanks Pam. :)

needtogetwell
06-22-2015, 05:00 AM
The amount of attention that mums get throughout the year, in my humble opinion, is once again a function of society and the God almighty corporate buck! Don't even get me started on Valentine's Day!

My dad is 85 and I'm lucky to have him with me. I pity you poor people who will be around me whenever he passes away. Undoubtedly you guys will be picking me up off the floor on a regular basis.

At 85 he drives me back and forth to work every day, drives my mom (79yrs) back and forth to work, takes us to all Scott's medical appointments. He is a source of the undeniable strength I have, not to mention the short temper.

Completely unselfish, that is my dad. Not particularly demonstrative with his affections, but that is likely part of his upbringing.

I feel a bit sorry for those who haven't had the luxury of a dad like this. But in the flip side, not having a dad in your life has shaped you to be the outstanding men you are today.

So here's to Dads! The good, bad and the ugly!

NixonRulz
06-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Ha!

Well said!

sae
06-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Father's Day is a tense holiday around our house still to some degree. It has been A little over 3 years since my kid's father passed away.
This Father's day was different. My daughter insisted on buying a card and a gift for the main man in our lives. I balked at first. "It would be weird." I said, but she wouldn't be moved. She ordered a gift, picked out a card and took it to her room to write in it. She returned with the card sealed and told me I wasn't allowed to read it.
Yesterday came and she presented the silly Tshirt she ordered and the card. He grinned ear to ear, putting on the tshirt (which unfortunately was a size too small) and read the card. His face changed, he hugged her and abruptly left, locking himself in his truck. She just smiled and waited patiently. A few minutes pass and finally she said "you might want to go check on him." I rapped on the window of the truck and he was red faced, staring at the card. Without a word he shows it to me. I know I will get the verbatim message a little wrong, but it read something like this :Happy Father's day to my Not-Father. I had a father for 10 years. He never told me to clean my room, took me to movies, asked about my day, argued politics with me until we both walked away angry, or taught me about what being responsible is really about like you do. You are not my father, but you are my dad."
He wiped the corner of his eye, smiled and insisted we go out to eat. We found ourselves lunching at a rather nice cafe, he still wearing his new shirt even though it was comically small on him, and the day progressed without another word about the card. At the day's end she hugged him and climbed into my sister's van to start her vacation with her aunt, but not before hugging him and saying "Happy Father's day... dad."
I am blessed. That's all I can say.