PDA

View Full Version : What is happening to me? Please help? Really scared!

BabyJo84
06-14-2015, 07:11 PM
If you've seen my welcome thread then you'll know i am new to anxiety. I am really struggling with this and I worry it is going to take over my life.

Over the last 3 days, every time I try to fall asleep, my heart pounds but the rate is slow, I get a wash of heat over my whole body, and then pins and needles in my hands and feet, followed by chest and back pains. This is every time I start drifting off to sleep. I am getting literally no sleep. I am absolutely terrified. It doesn't fall into the 'panic attack' category as it is trigger by nothing. Just falling asleep, and I don't hyperventilate. I am terrified that I'm about to have a heart attack, I am on my own with 2 small children and nobody to have them if I do take ill. Oh my god, I am actually inconsolable right now with tiredness, fear and feeling of defeat.

NixonRulz
06-14-2015, 07:54 PM
If you've seen my welcome thread then you'll know i am new to anxiety. I am really struggling with this and I worry it is going to take over my life.

Over the last 3 days, every time I try to fall asleep, my heart pounds but the rate is slow, I get a wash of heat over my whole body, and then pins and needles in my hands and feet, followed by chest and back pains. This is every time I start drifting off to sleep. I am getting literally no sleep. I am absolutely terrified. It doesn't fall into the 'panic attack' category as it is trigger by nothing. Just falling asleep, and I don't hyperventilate. I am terrified that I'm about to have a heart attack, I am on my own with 2 small children and nobody to have them if I do take ill. Oh my god, I am actually inconsolable right now with tiredness, fear and feeling of defeat.

Panic attacks come in all shapes and sizes and what you describe sounds awfully familiar of. Y lain attacks while drifting off to sleep. I wouldn't hyperbentilate but the adrenaline Rush flowed like a stream

And because you are terrified and think you are having a heart attack, Anxiety and Panic will happily stay in your life

So let's go the logical route. You have been going through this for 3 days and happens when you try to go to sleep

3 days, same symptoms, same result. Just terrified but that heart of yours stays ticking for those 2 little ones you have there with you

The lessons to learn is it is just panic. No heart issue.

Let the heart pound as you drift off. It's just your body letting you know that your heart is still beating fine

Don't add the fear of a pounding heart. That is what causes the cycle to repeat itself

"oh, there goes my heart again, pounding away letting me know it is firing on all cylinders as it should."

Perception. Our perception and beliefs dictate how our mind and body will react

gypsylee
06-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Hi and welcome :)

Anxiety often shows itself when you try to sleep because the nervous system is trying to protect you from being attacked. When your nerves are on high alert the most dangerous time is when you sleep, or so your system thinks. The key is to tell it you are ok and will not be eaten by a bear if you sleep :)

So you basically need to do things that activate the parasympathetic nervous system, which is the one that relaxes you. Here's some info: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/psychological-practices/activating-the-parasympathetic-wing-of-your-nervous-system

All the best,
Gypsy x

needtogetwell
06-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Gypsy and Nixon have given you great advice, I would only add one thing. If you don't already, some type of calming and relaxing routine may be helpful. A warm bath, some light reading, meditation, whatever you find relaxing.

I hope you sleep better tonight.

gypsylee
06-14-2015, 09:11 PM
Gypsy and Nixon have given you great advice, I would only add one thing. If you don't already, some type of calming and relaxing routine may be helpful. A warm bath, some light reading, meditation, whatever you find relaxing.

I hope you sleep better tonight.

Yes the parasympathetic nervous system loves these things :)