PDA

View Full Version : Which anti-depressants gave you sexual side effects?

punkgod94
08-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi, I'm just curious as this seems to be my biggest problem in getting on the right medication for my anxiety disorder. I'm currently taking anti depressants as well as anti-anxiety meds. I know these drugs are highly individualized and everyone experiences different effects, but would you mind listing the medicaitons you've been prescribed, the dose, and whether or not you experienced sexual side effects. Gender doesn't matter, but feel free to include it as well as specifics if you want. I'm a male.

Effexor XR - lack of desire because of excessive tiredness, inability to orgasm
Wellbutrin XL - no side effect
Lexapro - inability to orgasm
Celexa - no side effect
Cymbalta - inability to maintain an erection or orgasm

Matt_H
08-28-2008, 03:31 PM
I was on Prozac (Fluoxetine). Fairly common SSRI. Ended up developing anorgasmia from it. Anorgasmia being the inability to achieve orgasm. At the age of 18 it was pretty frustrating.

Wanna know what sex is without an orgasm?
Push-ups. :lol:

Since, I've switched to Welbutrin which apparently has less to no sexual side-effects. (None yet)

-Matt

punkgod94
08-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Haha, pushups. I like that!! Wellbutrin is pretty well known as having very few side effects as far as weight change and sexual side effects are concerned. Good luck with it - I hope it works for you!!

benbrh17
09-07-2008, 03:00 PM
effexor has caused me those side effects.

kisstherain
09-25-2008, 03:10 PM
My sexdrive has pretty much diminished now and I haven't even been on the celexa for 2 whole weeks yet.
I remember when I was on Wellbutrin it didn't affect it. I liked Wellbutrin...

punkgod94
09-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I find it funny how sexual side effects come on so quickly...way before you can notice whether or not the medicine is helping you or not. That is one sure way to know though that the meds ARE circulating through your system...side effects. For you kisstherain, just because you have some sexual side effects, it doesn't mean the Celexa isn't going to help your anxiety or depression (whichever, or both, you have), so hang in there. Wellbutrin is well known to cause no weight gain or sexual side effects. I'd actually be interested in hearing from somebody who DID experience sexual side effects from Wellbutrin and seeing what other medications they've been on in the past and if they all caused sexual side effects as well. I'm curious because I don't know if it's possible that the sexual side effects are all in your head. I mean face it, sex is over 90% mental anyway. You have to be turned on, lots of visuals, smells, sounds, etc. Don't know if that makes any sense to anybody else, but it'd make for an interesting research study!

KariBerry9
12-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Effexor gave me bad sexual side effects, I switched to Wellbutrin XL and it all went away.

ric556
12-29-2008, 02:12 AM
i Had been changed from medicine to medicine , and now i'm with Effexor , I still can enjoy sex but it is just dificulty to reach orgasm , have less pleasure... BUt no choice... i dont' wanna change again and again , i'm scared

perfectionista
01-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Lexapro-difficulty orgasming, decreased sexual desire

Thats why I am taking as needed klonopin now. Don't have to deal with that stuff. Although sometimes I wonder if I should just get back on lexapro seeing as anxiety doesn't do much for my sex drive anyways haha.

stillhopeful
03-04-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm on lexapro and I lost the ability to have an orgasm but got it back. Now that I'm on the full 10mg I don't know if I'll get it back. I hope so. :tongue: