PDA

View Full Version : Any books/apps recommended?

Sally Jones
06-08-2015, 04:39 AM
Hi,

I've had anxiety for some time now and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with any books or apps? I have been looking online today and there seem to be loads out there, just wondering if any were tried and tested/recommended?

StigthePig101
06-08-2015, 05:02 AM
Hi Sally,

Where are you based? I live in the UK and there is a bi-monthly magazine that comes out called Zen Colouring. I find it very relaxing and helps keep my mind preoccupied.

needtogetwell
06-08-2015, 05:07 AM
Hi Sally,

I did reply to your post in a the welcome area.

There are so many books out there some are definitely worth the money, others not so much.

The single best book I ever found is on Cognitive Bheavioural Therapy (CBT). It is called "mind over mood" written by greenberger.

This book teaches you practical ways to redirect your thinking, which in my opinion is half the battle when dealing with anxiety issues.

There are also numerous ones on mindfulness which may be helpful as well. Jon Kabat Zin is the author I would choose. But not necessarily as the first ones you go to.

I hope this helps
Cheers!
Pam

Sally Jones
06-08-2015, 05:07 AM
Hi Sally,

Where are you based? I live in the UK and there is a bi-monthly magazine that comes out called Zen Colouring. I find it very relaxing and helps keep my mind preoccupied.

Hi,

I'm in the UK too, that's such a good idea. A friend recommended a book to me that i'm waiting on delivery of, so will pass on here if it's any good but I like the idea of something bi-weekly. I'll look it up. Thanks so much for replying

StigthePig101
06-08-2015, 05:12 AM
I get some satisfaction as well when I complete them

Sally Jones
06-08-2015, 05:14 AM
Hi Sally,

I did reply to your post in a the welcome area.

There are so many books out there some are definitely worth the money, others not so much.

The single best book I ever found is on Cognitive Bheavioural Therapy (CBT). It is called "mind over mood" written by greenberger.

This book teaches you practical ways to redirect your thinking, which in my opinion is half the battle when dealing with anxiety issues.

There are also numerous ones on mindfulness which may be helpful as well. Jon Kabat Zin is the author I would choose. But not necessarily as the first ones you go to.

I hope this helps
Cheers!
Pam

Hi Pam,

Thank you so much for replying to me. That does sound good. I think it's so true as I find it's just passing thoughts often that if I don't, as I think to myself give into them then i'm fine. It's when i'm tired and they over take that I get worse. I have been looking into mindfulness. The one I have ordered is a newish one, it's called The A-Z How To Navigate Anxiety, a friend of mine said she really liked it as it was a sort of work book, so it gave you space to work through. I'm going to look for the ones you mentioned now. Thank you so much again, it's lovely and friendly here x

Sally Jones
06-08-2015, 05:15 AM
I think it's a great idea. I find keeping myself busy when travelling is a must. Also I guess it's sort of a light relief too which I think is always good. I find my anxiety exhausting a lot of the time x

gypsylee
06-08-2015, 06:34 AM
There are probably others I can't think of but this lady is my favourite at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/Claire-Weekes/e/B001HOT92I

gypsylee
06-08-2015, 06:35 AM
Hi Sally,

This is a great idea!

jessed03
06-08-2015, 07:35 AM
This is a great idea!

My mum does that, I think. She says she likes it. I did something similar at art therapy class when I used to go. It isn't something you think will make you feel better initially, but it does.

gypsylee
06-08-2015, 08:00 AM
My mum does that, I think. She says she likes it. I did something similar at art therapy class when I used to go. It isn't something you think will make you feel better initially, but it does.

Mine too LOL. Oh no, not Gypsy's mum!