PDA

View Full Version : Confusion about what/how I feel.

wuvoxis
06-06-2015, 07:36 PM
I truly hope that this doesn't sound like some random kid rambling to the internet about their life, but I fear that it might turn out that way...

I'm a 20 year old male, turning 21 in 2 days, that was diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder in November after anxiety attacks sent me to the ER twice with a heart rate of ~175, chest pains, hyperventilation, and overall fears of dying from a heart attack. Since then I've been prescribed lorazepam to use as needed, although they didn't really specify when to actually use it other than to fear its addictive nature so I hardly touch it as a result. I've also had an ER visit in December when my family felt that my physical pains and my freaking out was signs of a heart attack, as well, only to be told it was anxiety. Each time I have had an EKG and bloodwork done, all of which has turned out to be "normal". I went to counselling at a local medical center for a few months, which seemed to help to an extent, but haven't seen them in a little over 3 months due to financial issues.

I keep having physical feelings, however, that I'm always afraid of. I keep having a feeling of a tight throat or a large lump in the back of it which tends to make me fear throat cancer. Every time I cough I almost instinctively have to check for blood without thinking about it, and when I try to avoid it I tend to freak out and force myself to cough (sometimes to the point that I cause a small bit of damage to my throat and cause a tiny speck of fresh blood). Every time I use the restroom I instinctively have to check, as well, due to some ingrained fear that something will go wrong. Every time I eat I worry that something may have gotten into/onto the food (like a speck of glass) and it tends to make me freak out, bringing nausea and chest pains. I'm also generally under a lot of stress, as well, between work, college classes, and trying to get a computer to actually function properly, and this tends to bring all sorts of pains I've found. I'll quite often get a feeling along the left side of my chest where my arm would rest against if I lowered it. I also tend to get pains in both elbows, most often in the left, that are just a slight jolt that goes away quickly, which (combined with the chest pain listed above) makes me fear heart problems (even though 3 EKGs and bloodwork have shown no issues). Once I start worrying about these alleged "heart problems", I also start feeling this pain in my jaw (generally on the right side for some reason), but I don't normally have that issue unless I'm thinking about health issues. I tend to get random pains in my stomach, as well, that I'm not sure about. Muscles in my arms/shoulders will also at times feel like I've been working out for a couple hours as they burn, and right now as I type I have a dullish pain in the back of my left shoulder that's making me nervous. I also can't seem to hear about/read about/talk about medical issues without starting to have a fear that they'll happen to me and/or feeling the listed physical symptoms almost immediately. Someone talks about a stomach issue they have? I feel stomach pain. Someone talks about pains in their joints? I almost seem to feel these pains. I don't even know anymore.

I don't know what to think about any of the physical feelings listed above, but it makes me fear on a daily basis that I'll have a heart attack, I have cancer, or I'll start randomly start bleeding internally. I haven't gone a single day in the past month without fearing one or (normally) more of those situations, ESPECIALLY at night. I've lowered my caffeine intake to under 100 mg per day, often times none, and it hasn't helped with any of the pains and now I just feel like I have a general lack of energy/motivation to do much.

On top of this, I often times doubt who/what I even am. I'm a bisexual that often times questions themselves about whether or not they're actually bisexual. Many things about my life I often question, such as this, even though I shouldn't. I almost have to answer to myself whether or not I'm actually Bi, or whether or not I even have an anxiety problem. I also often question whether or not I'm a therian, but that's a completely separate matter.

I.. don't really know what I'm really going for with this whole post. I guess I'm mostly just wondering if these kinds of feelings are normal. Maybe I'm just typing this all out to try to convince myself that there is actually an issue at hand. I don't really know. It just felt.. I don't know. I don't want to say it just felt "right" to come here, but to an extent... it kinda does.

I'm sorry for the long post, and I hope none of you mind, but.. I'd love to just hear general thoughts about what I've listed here about if anyone else feels this way and/or what to do about them..

Edit: Something I forgot to mention, and this is short/quick, is a lot of my friends that I haven't seen for ~6 months that I suddenly started seeing in person again after coming home for a few weeks have started to say I almost seem more... emotionless and constantly out of it. Like I said, something short I wanted to add.

Goomba
06-06-2015, 08:27 PM
This is my experience with the physical stuff.

http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?30789-My-Hypochondria-Was-The-Best-Thing-To-Ever-Happen-To-Me

It may provide some insight.

As for some of the other things you mentioned, they really don't seem all that strange - especially as you are experiencing anxiety.

As you work to find your true self through your anxiety, it's more than understandable that your current identities are being challenged.

wuvoxis
06-06-2015, 08:36 PM
This is my experience with the physical stuff.

((Removing the link because I guess I have to to quote this?))

As for some of the other things you mentioned, they really don't seem all that strange - especially as you are experiencing anxiety.

As you work to find your true self through your anxiety, it's more than understandable that your current identities are being challenged.

.."Some" is an understatement

Goomba
06-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Let me know if you'd like to bounce some ideas back and forth. :)

wuvoxis
06-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Sorry for the late response.. Was having a couple issues with computers and such.
That would honestly be great tbh, because the most worrying thing right now is this odd almost unexplainable feeling in my chest that I would honestly love to try talking to someone, ANYONE about.. Preferably someone who would know what the hell I was trying to say because they likely experienced it.

...Second is when I should actually use lorazepam because "as needed" mixed with a bunch of addiction warnings leaves me confused as to when it's a good idea to touch it.. >.>

manduwok
06-11-2015, 03:13 PM
...Second is when I should actually use lorazepam because "as needed" mixed with a bunch of addiction warnings leaves me confused as to when it's a good idea to touch it.. >.>

I used ativan (name brand) 7.5 years ago when my mom passed away... some people say to use it as soon as you feel the anxiety coming on but I wouldn't agree as you definitely don't want to become dependent on it. I don't become addicted easily and got to the point where I would take them and go to work just fine lol... but I never took more than 10s (I weighed about 115 then... 105 now). What strength did they give you?

I'm definitely not a doctor but my advice would be to take it on days where you have multiple attacks and are left feeling exhausted and needing to sleep or midnight panics. I think your concern with the addictive nature is a healthy one though and definitely don't feel obliged to take them. If you can get through without that's the best strategy IMO :)

wuvoxis
06-15-2015, 09:34 PM
I used ativan (name brand) 7.5 years ago when my mom passed away... some people say to use it as soon as you feel the anxiety coming on but I wouldn't agree as you definitely don't want to become dependent on it. I don't become addicted easily and got to the point where I would take them and go to work just fine lol... but I never took more than 10s (I weighed about 115 then... 105 now). What strength did they give you?

I'm definitely not a doctor but my advice would be to take it on days where you have multiple attacks and are left feeling exhausted and needing to sleep or midnight panics. I think your concern with the addictive nature is a healthy one though and definitely don't feel obliged to take them. If you can get through without that's the best strategy IMO :)

It's just 1 mg tablets. Also, sorry for the super long delay!
I'm actually back at a place with decent internet now, though, so these massive delays should no longer happen.

I've been avoiding them for the most part.. I don't think I've taken one in a little over 2 weeks, and before then was almost a month I think.

Something I've noticed now, though, is this... My sources of anxiety have changed a bit, now focusing more on the fact that everyone's being completely screwed over with hours where I work.. I have 8 hours this week and that's it.
With this fact I've started feeling a small bit of what I'm assuming to be acid come up. I also can't help but take a deep breath and cough every now and then (then, as mentioned before, check for that small bit of blood to find none like normal).
I've also noticed that my chest pains are WORST right after eating.. no matter what I eat most the time. At times, too, I actually end up bringing up a small bit of a meal with a small amount of what I'd assume to be vomit >.> It's always just a small amount, though.. Kinda odd.

On another note, though, I do plan on ATTEMPTING to get in shape a little bit and actually just got a FitBit Flex as a motivator today.

Edit: Huh. Turns out that you can get rewards points at walgreens for walking with this thing.. 20 points per mile. If I walk enough maybe that'll help pay for those rescue remedy things over time >.>

sae
06-16-2015, 01:49 AM
Much of your physical stuff sounds an awful lot like GERD (totally not a doctor here though, I just like the long white coat). I am prescribed to take an obscene amount of aspirin daily and I have much of the same symptoms. Perhaps try taking a few days of OTC omeprazole and see if that doesn't help some of the pain and throat tightness. It won't do much the first couple of days taking it.
Anxiety is a nasty little liar. Hell, I have a couple heart attacks under my belt, know exactly how one feels, and still somehow find myself occasionally convinced I'm having another one. Usually what helps me if i am in dull on attack is taking a half benzo (too small to really do anything, but somehow has a placebo effevt for me all the same) and finding a dark quiet place with my Kindle.
I think something else that may help is turning your fear of taking Klonopin into a healthy respect for it. You are aware of its addictive properties as well as the relief it brings. It isn't a cure but rather a band aid for something that probably needs stitches.