PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do about anxiety...

nataliepatricia6183
06-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Hi,
I am taking a plethora of supplements to aid with stress, anxiety, blood sugar control and general health. Can you tell me if I'm taking too many things or too much of something or what could be making things worse?
5htp- 400 mg day
taurine- 1 -2 g per day with 300 mg magnesium malate
milk thistle 300 mg daily
nac- 1200 mg daily for hair pulling
inositol- 8 g daily for hair pulling depression powder
vitamin c 2000 mg daily
multi vitamin with enzymes
probiotic 1 a day
omega 3 normal daily dose
tyrosine 1200 mg per day 2 doses
lysine 1 - 2 pill daily normal dose
at meal times I take
Cayenne, now foods glucose support and chromium for PCOS related blood sugar issues also CLA
l theanine as needed
magnolia bark occassionally
r lipoic and co q 10 - just switched to alpha lipoic recently

whew ok that's alot
my history is i've been hair pulling since age 10 legs hands chin more recently..past alcoholism 2 years recovered..quit smoking 2 months ago,
lack of menstration that I've helped along with vitex may be due to PCOS have small cervical cysts
history of anti depressant use off and on that may have caused metabolic disturbance
lost weight in last 3 months on llow carb eating still eat dairy trying to cut back on caffeine love diet soda drink caffeine free diet coke some days
despite my supplements and diet I am still having anxiety and an ability to cope with stress, feeling I'm going to go crazy sometimes, allergies like sneezing or hives from dyes and perfumes that didn't bother me before, lack of sex drive, moodiness, very very agitated and irritable
oh I also take ginseng normal dose per day with ashwaganda
not sure what to do..I feel like I'm trying everything to balance myself but I feel crappy!

NixonRulz
06-04-2015, 03:24 PM
Hi,
I am taking a plethora of supplements to aid with stress, anxiety, blood sugar control and general health. Can you tell me if I'm taking too many things or too much of something or what could be making things worse?
5htp- 400 mg day
vitamin c 2000 mg daily
probiotic 1 a day
at meal times I take
Cayenne, now foods glucose support and chromium for PCOS related blood sugar issues also CLA
l theanine as needed

whew ok that's alot
my history is i've been hair pulling since age 10 legs hands chin more recently..past alcoholism 2 years recovered..quit smoking 2 months ago,
lack of menstration that I've helped along with vitex may be due to PCOS have small cervical cysts
history of anti depressant use off and on that may have caused metabolic disturbance
lost weight in last 3 months on llow carb eating still eat dairy trying to cut back on caffeine love diet soda drink caffeine free diet coke some days
despite my supplements and diet I am still having anxiety and an ability to cope with stress, feeling I'm going to go crazy sometimes, allergies like sneezing or hives from dyes and perfumes that didn't bother me before, lack of sex drive, moodiness, very very agitated and irritable
not sure what to do..I feel like I'm trying everything to balance myself but I feel crappy!

From someone who until recently was using a bunch of supplements but for different reasons, this seems like an awful lot. That is so much that I would be curious if one of the reasons you feel bad is all that shit interacting.

You seem to be trying to accomplish so much at once.

If you have been on an AD before and you already don't have a sex drive, I would ditch tnat entire regime minus the essentials. Multi vitamin, magnesium and a few others that others here are better to suggest

It is quite possible that if you get your anxiety under control, most of the above issues may go right with it

Many things you have seem to be in the symptom list thread

I wouldn't do more if I were you, I'd do less, catch your breath and think about how you can tackle the anxiety and understand why it is you are feeling constant anxiety

A good therapist would be a great start if you haven't been down that road yet

nataliepatricia6183
06-04-2015, 03:31 PM
thanks I'll cut down on some seeing someone next week too

needtogetwell
06-04-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm with Nixon on this one... That is a huge amount of supplements. Multi and magnesium is what I would go for.

If I were you I would do 2 things.

1. Go find yourself a therapist to help you with the hair pulling thing and the depression issues. A good therapist will help you find the "root" cause of these issues.

2. Find a naturopath doctor if you want to go the supplement route. It can be a bit expensive but often worth every penny. Supplements are good, but professional help with them is really crucial especially with the massive list you have been taking.

Good luck
Cheers!

Kuma
06-04-2015, 07:48 PM
I agree with the idea of consulting a doctor about the supplements. If you have a good diet and no vitamin deficiencies, you may find that you do not need any of these supplements at all. And supplements have potential downsides as well as potential benefits. So some good medical advice about what supplements -- if any -- you need is a very good idea.

Kixxi
06-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Hi,
5htp- 400 mg day
vitamin c 2000 mg daily
probiotic 1 a day
at meal times I take
l theanine as needed

whew ok that's alot

Seems you have gone through a lot... I must admit though, supplements, medication and all that is never really the answer.... It's whats underneath. However, it is easier said than done isn't it?

Even though I do not see any harm in taking supplements, I do think this might be an overload...