PDA

View Full Version : Social Anxiety=High IQ??

superchick22684
06-02-2015, 04:56 PM
This article I found links social anxiety to a high iq and GAD with high scores on verbal intelligence tests. Thoughts?

http://themindunleashed.org/2015/05/science-associates-social-anxiety-with-high-iq-levels-and-empathic-abilities.html

Kixxi
06-02-2015, 07:58 PM
This article I found links social anxiety to a high iq and GAD with high scores on verbal intelligence tests. Thoughts?

http://themindunleashed.org/2015/05/science-associates-social-anxiety-with-high-iq-levels-and-empathic-abilities.html

I truly believe that. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I notice those qualities in myself.

Weasel27
06-09-2015, 09:40 PM
I was tested at 136, but that was when I was about ten. No idea if it's gone up or down in the past 27 years or so. Having said that, I can't think of too many people I'd classify as being "dense" suffering from social anxiety. Most people I've met with this problem seem relatively intelligent. Dunno if it's a universal fact or not though.

Dahila
06-10-2015, 09:29 AM
In a similar way that “ignorance is bliss,” it can be said that awareness is torture. Indeed, being sensitive to and aware of everything and everyone can be overwhelming, and the mind, seeking to protect itself from this intense experience, creates this kind of mental disorder. ThIS!!

JohnC
06-10-2015, 02:49 PM
In a similar way that “ignorance is bliss,” it can be said that awareness is torture. Indeed, being sensitive to and aware of everything and everyone can be overwhelming, and the mind, seeking to protect itself from this intense experience, creates this kind of mental disorder. ThIS!!

Very nicely put Dahl.

missedlink
07-24-2015, 11:20 AM
I also agree. Normally a higher IQ means anxiety, depression, inactivity and general unhapyness

jonathangilbert
02-22-2018, 10:13 AM
So I have a high IQ.

Anders_EFT
07-10-2018, 06:00 AM
hmm.. :cool:

samv315
07-10-2018, 10:10 PM
I've definitely heard this before.

salvator here
07-11-2018, 12:01 AM
In a similar way that “ignorance is bliss,” it can be said that awareness is torture. Indeed, being sensitive to and aware of everything and everyone can be overwhelming, and the mind, seeking to protect itself from this intense experience, creates this kind of mental disorder. ThIS!!Depending on the day and frame of mind, I either do very well or fail miserably on those online tests. You said it well! "awareness is torture". It is only because of this pain and suffering that I've become eyes wide open (possibly hyper-aware), so maybe it was a blessing or gift. Torture would be the right word. I don't even think I could go back to bliss at this point.

Mythos
07-25-2018, 09:25 PM
The empathy part is a given for sure. The entire principle of anxiety rests not necessarily on what others think of you, but how others are impacted by your decisions. At least, that's how I feel about it. As for the high IQ part, this is often linked to autism, i.e., a condition with severe social ailments (both Albert Einstein and Alan Turing have been suspected of having this condition).

As for myself, I'd like to think that I am more than just average intellect but I can't say for certain. Either way, IQ does not often measure intelligence particularly well. It misses many factors. With that in mind, it is still the most efficient method but I personally believe it must be revised.

M

KamSaipsy
08-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Hi and welcome. It must be terribly hard having your kind of job which is very social and then suffering from your condition. I myself dont do well socially. Use to hate to go to the baby showers, birthday parties. Now I am not so self conscious but dont feel obligated to do any of those things if I dont want to.

I have heard of depression being genetic but I have never heard of "genetic depression" so had to look it up.

KamSaipsy
08-06-2019, 12:46 PM
I have always had anxiety...along with chronic depression. My psychiatrist calls it "genetic depression." I am taking meds for both and they do help. However, I still have anxiety/panic attacks. I am a teacher and had 2 attacks last school year where I had to be driven to my doctor.

Anyway, my biggest area of anxiety is Social. I feel that I have a real problem with Social Anxiety. It is GREAT concern to me that the social anxiety will overtake me and I will be more and more reclusive the older I get.

Does anyone else struggle with this?