PDA

View Full Version : could this be a tumor?

MorningSadness00
08-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Could this be a Brain Tumor?
Hello,
Im 19 years old, with a lazy eye, and lately i have been experiencing double vision, and headaches. Im not sure if its due to my eyes or a brain tumor. I had a brain scan about 5 years ago, and it came out negative. I have weird sensations in my head, but that can be due to anxiety too.
For almost 2 weeks now ive had double vision, but ive had it before like a year ago too... for almost like 3 years, i also have spots in my vision.
Also, i have a lot of neck tension i have like about 10 knots in my neck literally. I cant go to the eye doctor because i have no insurance...and im not sure what to do from here.

Also, i may add i went to the ER for chest pain and they put me on some Anti-anxiety medication (ativan) and ever sense i took that i have had double vision and really bad mood swings to the point where i burst out crying, stopped taking it two days ago. Could the Ativan be causing my double vision?

And if i had a brain tumor wouldn't my eye doctor have noticed it the first time i had double vision about almost 4 years ago?
I also get really weird jerks and stuff.

I would love to go to the eye doctor to get my eyes checked again, but cant with no insurance. =[

Thanks for your time.
_Leah

albertascott
08-22-2008, 08:23 PM
You have nothing to worry about. Probably a side effect of the meds. But for safety why dont you book an appointment with your doctor and tell him your concerns. Tell him you would like to get a CAT scan to rule out anything else.

Leemarie
08-29-2008, 08:41 PM
hey I dont want to freak you out but I think you should get an MRI scan....when I was ten I was diagnosed with 2 blood clots in my brain which at the time I was told I was the 5th person in the world to have them in my brain....NOW the symptoms you describe were very much like mine

I had:

double vision
could hardly turn my head up and down
muscles in neck were so tense and so stiff I cant even explain it
Head aches were soooo extreme I cried sometime

I got a CAT scan done and nothing came up but then when I got a MRI it all came up then

just in case go and get a CAT scan if you are still worried talk to them about i and see if you can get an MRI if that comes up clear then it sounds to me like Anxiety please dont let my story freak you out hope this helps though xoxox

square
08-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi Morning,

I've had blurred/ ghosted vision while on a benzo (Ativan, Valium, etc) or coming off a benzo or some other med or substance. It always goes away and when it happens now, I expect it to go away. It might be replaced by something else: nervous tic, droopy eye or trembling, but that too ebbs and flows with the anxiety.

I've also had stacked vision. Two views of the same thing stacked on top of each other like:

thing
thing,

in perfect focus, color and clarity. It happened one summer where I worked crazy, unpredictable hours and got little sleep. Once I got used to the hours and was able to sleep when I wanted, the stacked vision went away. That was 18 years ago. It's not been back.

Also, I try to think of a common cause for the symptom before I default to the most tragic and dire. I'm not always successful, but it does help.

However, if those symptoms persist, I would see a doctor and get it checked out as another person here recommended.

square
08-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Can you go to a "Doc in the Box" or walk-in clinic?

Sometimes if I'm in a hurry and don't want to wait for my Doctor to have an opening to see me, I'll go to one of those places and pay cash. I had a cyst on the inside of my cheek and was sure it was malignant. Turned out I was biting the inside of my cheek (anxiety manifestation) and the cyst eventually left. I paid $85 to the Doc in the box for her to tell me that all was Ok.

Just a thought as I can relate to the insurance/ money issue.

I at one time paid a quarter of my salary for meds and psychiatrist visits adn I was only making $8/hr. My car had no heat, no radio, and a cracked windshield. I used to have to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield it was so cold.

And yeah, mom's basement. I'm just lucky she'd have me :?.

Peace.