PDA

View Full Version : A Couchy Conundrum

sae
05-27-2015, 01:37 PM
For the past few months I have fallen into the habit of sleeping on my couch, propped upright. I have a rather nice bedroom, albeit a little sterile. I really haven't slept in the bedroom since a rather disgusting mishap with a stray cat my kid brought home.
Long story short, she brings this cat in. I despise cats; they're the douchebag frat boys of the animal kingdom. I am also rather allergic to them. The cat didn't last long before it ran away, but not before leaving behind a wake of destruction. That foul creature had pissed on my bed.
I had scrubbed and treated, shampoo ed and febreezed the mattress but I could still smell the stench of cat pee. For weeks I couldn't even stand to be in that room. The whole time my kid swore there was no odor of cat anywhere in the room.
The couch is comfortable and all, but I have begun to wake up feeling like fresh boiled assholes. I decided to try sleeping in the bedroom again. I couldn't even make it through the night before I was on the couch again.
Last Friday I had a couple guests from my game night stay overnight. They said they couldn't smell anything other than air freshener either. I tried again Saturday night, didn't even make it a full hour. The stench was nauseating.
I decided to swap beds with my kid, passing along my pillow top queen for her twin bed. I shampooed the carpet in my bedroom again, oiled the furniture, washed the curtains, everything. There is very little in the bedroom save the bed, a dresser and a nightstand. Nothing hangs in the closet, nothing under the bed, nothing on the walls.
It took a couple days for my carpet to fully dry (it's been oppressively humid with all this flooding rain we've had). Last night I settle in, swaddled in fresh sheets and a new pillow. I almost fall asleep when that smell hits me again. It was in the sheets, my hair, the bed (which was purchased after the cat ran away). I was so aggravated by it I spent the rest of last night wide awake.
I am starting to think the smell is not actually there. I can't ignore it and sleep in the bedroom. Everyone that has been in the room assured me they couldn't smell anything even remotely like cat. I am beginning to wonder if this isn't an anxiety response to something deeper than a bad smell I am imagining.
My late husband spent every waking moment at home in our bedroom (in a different house.) I was often not permitted to be in another room so I spent years sequestered to sitting on the bed next to him, watching his tv programs. I hated it. I had this beautiful livingroom, decorated just right, that saw no one save the occasional house guest, yet I was stuck in bed.
Do you think it is possible my inability to stand being in my bedroom, the smell that keeps me awake, are all some weird sort of anxious aversion? How do I get to a point that I can sleep in a bedroom like a normal person when trying to push through the aversion just isn't working?

Im-Suffering
05-27-2015, 01:42 PM
Delivered within 4 hours free nationwide :

http://www.1800mattress.com/1800mattress-collection-1800-mattress-collection-ortho-posture-pillowtop-mattress/800-KK9961.html

Today only special !

sae
05-27-2015, 01:52 PM
That was the purpose of swapping beds with my kid, really. I wanted to make sure it really was the mattress, and not something else, causing the problem. Since I have found the very same results on a different bed I just can't justify the cost to replace a mattress that is barely 2 years old.

Im-Suffering
05-27-2015, 02:48 PM
My late husband spent every waking moment at home in our bedroom (in a different house.) I was often not permitted to be in another room so I spent years sequestered to sitting on the bed next to him, watching his tv programs. I hated it. I had this beautiful livingroom, decorated just right, that saw no one save the occasional house guest, yet I was stuck in bed.

This (current) experience is just stirring the (old) pot.

I want to see you happy. To do for yourself what makes you smile. Think of every situation that should arise as an opportunity for just that. To put a smile on your face, because its good to be you. Even if that might mean chucking out one bed after the next, so you can get some beauty rest.

Rather than endlessly question your sanity, happiness in itself=justification enough. If the thought of happiness makes you feel badly, then you've still got that old baggage inside. It turned up in that quote above. What he did was wrong. but you never have to repeat that again.