PDA

View Full Version : help with new methods

beachbabe23
08-21-2008, 01:59 PM
I've been suffering from anxiety for about over a year now and i wanted to know what you guys do for some relaxation methods to calm down the symptoms and overthinkings. i do read at night which helps but i need daytime methods to help while im busy and what not. thanks :)

leahrae
08-21-2008, 09:20 PM
I have had pretty extreme anxiety lately, even around the house when there is nothing in particular triggering it. I have trouble calming myself down completely but some of these tricks might work for you! I think everybody is different so it may take some trial & error :)

*Meditation, hypnosis and relaxation cd's - you should be able to find a few of these cd's off of an internet music search engine like "limewire" if you don't want to purchase them! Just type in "relaxation", "meditation", "anxiety" or "hypnosis" and something should come up!! I put a few of these relaxation excercises on my IPOD & have been listening to them when anxious or just before I go to sleep. It really calms me down!

*Belly breathing

*Positive thinking

*Exercise - walks, runs, going to the gym, yoga, etc

It takes a lot of time, energy and tears to kick anxiety's ass...I have fought it most of my life and I doubt it'll ever go away completely! Everyday is different for me - sometimes i feel like i'm on top of the world & sometimes i struggle to carry on with my daily activities..But with some hard work, your physical symptoms don't seem so scary anymore :D Hang in there!!:tongue: [/b]

Spot
08-28-2008, 05:50 PM
If you're finding it difficult to stop excessive thinking...do something creative (write, act, express etc.). Excercise. Keep reading - good brain food. If it still persists and you find yourself thinking about thinking - challenge your thoughts with reason. A lot of times resolution evolves thru reason...plus you'll never be bored :tongue:
One other thing...it's like meditation. I focus on one dot or area on the ceiling and feel on the inside what it seems like to simply exist. Crazy? Maybe. But it clears the mind the more I focus.
Oh yeah, and keep posting here with like-minded ppl for experienced advice. Good luck.

kaialian
08-28-2008, 06:51 PM
I sent you a PM because since I am fairly new to the forum, I cannot post website URLs yet.

I work on progressive muscle relaxation (which I have just picked up again - I found it really helps me relax and get to sleep at night!).