PDA

View Full Version : SSRI discontinuation

Zoot
05-19-2015, 10:06 AM
I have been taking Lexapro for 5 weeks. It's the first medication I've tried for depression/anxiety. One thing I worry about with taking an SSRI is discontinuation syndrome if I continue to take it long term. I've read many horror stories about it. But I am curious about the experiences of people here, given that many people here have taken SSRIs or SNRIs. Have you stopped taking one? How did you do it? Did you experience discontinuation symptoms? How long did they last?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

superchick22684
05-19-2015, 01:18 PM
About eight years ago I tapered off of an antidepressant (not by choice) and remember having some withdrawal symptoms mainly headaches, foggy headed and some nausea. I promised myself after that if I ever had to stop taking an ad again that I would do so under a doctor's supervision. The best way to stop taking an ad is to taper down slowly under the supervision of a doctor.
I don't remember how long discontinuation symptoms lasted. It basically depends on the half life of the medication you are taking.

JustaGal
05-19-2015, 10:18 PM
I have been taking Lexapro for 5 weeks. It's the first medication I've tried for depression/anxiety. One thing I worry about with taking an SSRI is discontinuation syndrome if I continue to take it long term. I've read many horror stories about it. But I am curious about the experiences of people here, given that many people here have taken SSRIs or SNRIs. Have you stopped taking one? How did you do it? Did you experience discontinuation symptoms? How long did they last?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

I had the syndrome and had to go back on. Its real, get off if and when you can. I took it for 12 years though. And off and on prior to that,

Ahlstrom
05-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Ive been on Lexapro for 5 years and im finally tapering off it. I take my half dose of 20mg for about 30 days now. My supplements have helped immensely. My anxiety is higher but not too bad. People notice i am shaking, but im not having an attack. Im also getting head pressure and aches a lot. But for me its going tons better than last time i tried to taper.

JustaGal
05-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Ive been on Lexapro for 5 years and im finally tapering off it. I take my half dose of 20mg for about 30 days now. My supplements have helped immensely. My anxiety is higher but not too bad. People notice i am shaking, but im not having an attack. Im also getting head pressure and aches a lot. But for me its going tons better than last time i tried to taper.

Good to hear, I want to taper from 20 to 10 LExapro because of weight gain etc. What supplements do you take?

Ahlstrom
05-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Good to hear, I want to taper from 20 to 10 LExapro because of weight gain etc. What supplements do you take?

2 passion flower extract pills and 1 suntheanine, twice a day, one in the morning one at night. Sometimes chamomile tea. See Paniccured's stickied thread on supplements. They have reduced my anxiety anywhere from 30%-50%.

Zoot
05-26-2015, 12:34 PM
I hope your tapering continues to go well.

Are you going off it because you feel you don't need it anymore or for another reason?

JustaGal
05-26-2015, 01:03 PM
2 passion flower extract pills and 1 suntheanine, twice a day, one in the morning one at night. Sometimes chamomile tea. See Paniccured's stickied thread on supplements. They have reduced my anxiety anywhere from 30%-50%.

Good for you! : )