PDA

View Full Version : Thanatophobia

sae
05-18-2015, 12:37 AM
... the fear of death. This may not be a post for the death squeamish. I had a hell of a time writing these thoughts down.

While I can scarcely jump up and down, claiming I am all cured, I am slowly creeping out of the endless cycle of anxiety and depression. I am getting out a little more, and spend less time locked up in fear. There is one thought process that seems to never fail to gum up the works:

It usually starts with thinking about my late husband, pondering his final decision. With one either very stupid or very selfish decision he left so much undone. From little things like caring for his dog, or paying the mortgage, to big things like seeing his daughter graduate from school, marry, have her own family. His death was just so... final.
Even though I did not choose to almost die, I just barely failed where he succeeded. I think back to that final moment of clarity floating within blind, silent semi-consciouness when I knew I was going to die. At that moment I went through every emotion in a split second, fear, sadness, acceptance. The last thing I thought were the words "so much undone."
The only person in the room when I awoke was the pastor from my church. I remember very little of the visit other than the crunching sound/sensation in my chest of the heart pump and repeating the words "so much left undone" over and over again until I fell back to sleep.
It plays on my mind. I have responsibilities as a mother, a daughter, a person that no one else could fulfill if I were gone. I lie down at night, almost asleep, and the prospect of not waking up the next day, leaving so much unfinished business jolts me awake. There is still so much I have left to do, to experience, I want to see, and in an instant my douchebag heart could end it all. Logically I know there is a much better chance of waking up alive. Each day my heart hurts less, my breath comes just a little easier, but with each passing night I feel the heaviness of fatigue, of being alive, and wonder how many more times this douchebag heart will keep beating in spite of all the procedures, medications, and stents.
I think a little fear of death is healthy, but I dont want to be constantly reminded of the prospect of dying, that one day I WILL die, and no matter how.much time I have or don't have, I will still have so much left undone.
How does one combat the fear of death beyond simple acceptance? I can accept the reality of death, just not the idea of leaving before my responsibilities are fulfilled.

Im-Suffering
05-18-2015, 07:11 AM
With the will to live my dear. Somthing the husband lacked. Now it is not up to you to judge his decisions, you see. You must acquiesce to the terms of life, not rigidly try to bend them your way. Let go of victimhood and blame, guilt and shame for who you are.

As for your heart. You are having a change of it. And so you are feeling better. Your heart will keep you alive if you cooporate with it. Do not call it a 'douchbag' you understand, instead, open it, open yourself more to love. The physical heart beats to the drum of love. Find the love in you again at all cost. This is thy purpose and main responsibility (why you kept yourself alive). Fulfill it.

Now listen:

You are learning. Explore more the use of feminine energies. These have been repressed for some time. Over reliance on the masculine side has shut down natural proclivites and this pent suppression is felt in the heart and stomach.

It is not death you must accept, but life you see. Living it.

I have been 'at you' all along sae. Partly because your husband is coming through along with others strongly.

sae
05-18-2015, 10:10 AM
With the will to live my dear. Somthing the husband lacked. Now it is not up to you to judge his decisions, you see. You must acquiesce to the terms of life, not rigidly try to bend them your way. Let go of victimhood and blame, guilt and shame for who you are.

As for your heart. You are having a change of it. And so you are feeling better. Your heart will keep you alive if you cooporate with it. Do not call it a 'douchbag' you understand, instead, open it, open yourself more to love. The physical heart beats to the drum of love. Find the love in you again at all cost. This is thy purpose and main responsibility (why you kept yourself alive). Fulfill it.

Now listen:

You are learning. Explore more the use of feminine energies. These have been repressed for some time. Over reliance on the masculine side has shut down natural proclivites and this pent suppression is felt in the heart and stomach.

It is not death you must accept, but life you see. Living it.

I have been 'at you' all along sae. Partly because your husband is coming through along with others strongly.

You been seriously jacking with my groove, dude... and that is exactly what I have needed. You once posted about repression and that mess stuck with me. I've been battling "the feels" off and on ever since. I can't say it's helped anxiety any just yet but I know that it has helped me in huge ways in parenting.
My kid thinks I've been abducted by aliens.
In the end you're right about having the desire to live. Most days I am okay. Life is great and I wake up thankful for another day. Every now and then I wake up and I hurt. I wonder why I bother and the only thing that seems to get me out of bed are my responsibilities.
I want to be alive, there is no mistaking this, but I struggle sometimes to really live. It seems I once again have much to think about.