PDA

View Full Version : Deinstitutionalization

lareth
05-15-2015, 12:28 PM
I think one of my problems is deinstitutionalization. Not that I want to spend the rest of my life inside an institution at this time, but I feel as if my whole life has been structured around institutions, first at home not having any rights or privileges, then spending most of my time inside other peoples' houses E.I being homeless on many occasions, and not ever having the prospects of going to school or making something out of myself. And finally, having been committed, voluntarily (suicide or an institution were my options) into a mental institution for a couple of months.

Ever since that, three years ago, I've been handling it. It has been a struggle many a day. I did ok for a good while after being let out of hospital. I got a flat a few weeks after being let out, I kept my flat tidy, I ate food as I recall, and I had a social life.

I've been feeling worse again, for a while now. I started dating, which really isn't one of my strong points, and it, I think, triggered all my old problems, that were there to be triggered though. This week has been a struggle. Meaninglessness of life, lack of any real options and "free will", going back to the inner dwelling and forgetting how to live.
not to start dating, but I really fell for this one, and I was lonely I'll admit it. And also the prospect of starting a normal life, with a relatively normal girl, sounded like a real treat. She's had it good, though she has her problems. Me, I guess I'm not adjusted for that kind of life. Even though I really have wanted to. I always thought that I'd make something out of myself, but trust me, I know it's not going to work out at this time. But I digress.

Now, hospital is calling again. My mother keeps calling me every two hours to ask me whether we're going or not. I've told her I need to work on something first, which is that I'm sort of leaving my girlfriend. Just like the last time I went to the hospital. But I know I can't go on this way, just leaving women because I feel they will leave me anyways. I know I'm smart, but this just won't do. I don't know if I'm trying to get her to leave me because I'm scared, which I am. I want to know whether I'm scared in a way that it could be treated, and that it could be possible for me to live with her in the future. Before this girl, I was relatively happy alone. I couldn't really function that well in society, but I was getting there. I had a gym rhythm, I started doing yoga two times a day. But that's when it all came down on me again.

But anyways, I think the main point is, that I know I should go to the hospital, I just feel it. But I don't know exactly why. Yes I feel like shit, like hell actually. It's been a horrible struggle. I don't eat, I've stopped going to the gym, etc etc etc.

And to be honest at this point this post just got out of hand. But are there other people out there who can't cope with life outside the box, so to speak? Like, even with the small things like eating and just plain existing? My girlfriend, who I guess is now my exgirlfriend (possibly the only one I don't regret having), showed me Orange is the New Black, and I couldn't help but wonder and reminisce on my time inside the hospital. I didn't say anything to her, because she is so far from something like that, and that bastard told me not to watch it without her, so maybe I can now that she's in the process of leaving me... Anyways, anyone else who is unable to live?

gypsylee
05-16-2015, 12:48 AM
I've never been institutionalised but I can sort of understand it because the times I've spent in hospital (for alcohol-induced pancreatitis), I've had to come out sober and learn how to live that way. So I do know what it's like having to pretty much learn everything and feeling terrified of life in the "real world". I've only ever been in hospital for a week or two at a time but when you're drinking heavily and you stop, it's like being a little kid again. I'm pretty good with it now but even after being sober for ages, I still get that feeling of being "unable to live", probably because I've also lived with very bossy/dominant/abusive people a lot of my life. So yeah, I get what you're saying.

lareth
05-16-2015, 10:24 AM
This also has something to do with my take on life and free will in general.

I'm afraid what will happen now that I don't believe in it anymore. I focus on the general things at the moment, I managed to do some yoga just now. I ate something that didn't make me feel sick. Earlier today, I had this weird feeling of calm for a while, and then a sudden panic attack where I felt I almost fainted or worse, and then I hurried inside, as I was outside smoking a ciggy, and put a pill in my mouth and it went away almost instantly from that. It's the death of the ego I'm thinking. Really scary stuff I gotta say.

I know there are little certainties in life, but boy how I wish that I could at least cope and have my sanity. After that I could accomplish anything I put my mind on I think.

sae
05-16-2015, 11:17 AM
I can't offer you solutions. My experience wasn't that of institutionalization, but of structure as dictated by another person over the course of 10 years, but I think bouncing back from it is similar. I have learned to combat the loss of structure by creating one for myself, a much healthier one at that. I have even managed to maintain a decent relationship since. Sometimes it takes working outside of the routine, sometimes it takes working through the fear. Sometimes it takes working in spite of the thoughts you carry with you.

gypsylee
05-16-2015, 07:37 PM
I can't offer you solutions. My experience wasn't that of institutionalization, but of structure as dictated by another person over the course of 10 years, but I think bouncing back from it is similar. I have learned to combat the loss of structure by creating one for myself, a much healthier one at that. I have even managed to maintain a decent relationship since. Sometimes it takes working outside of the routine, sometimes it takes working through the fear. Sometimes it takes working in spite of the thoughts you carry with you.

Well said :)