PDA

View Full Version : My Friend is Abusing her Power

Alphae
05-14-2015, 04:02 PM
So, my friend has anxiety. I'm not sure if she has agoraphobia or anything else, I only know that she does have panic attacks. Recently, they have been getting more frequent. It got to the point where she had to start taking medication for it. She and her mom have talked to all of our teachers about her condition, and for the most part she doesn't say anything about them. There is this one teacher (who I'll be calling Mrs.S) that she doesn't like. I think it is because Mrs.S won't let her skip out of presentations or any other things that she just dosen't want to do. In the past, oh, three weeks or so, my friend has started to stay at home a lot, and skip classes. She has a pass of some sort from the counselor that basically lets her out of any class. When she is at school she often tries to skip Mrs.S's class. She was a partner on a project with another friend of mine (let's call her A). A said that my friend earned about ten points on a project that was worth 119 points, because she has been skipping class. She has confessed to A that she sometimes just skips class because she doesn't want to go. I think that if she tells her mom that a panic attack might come on her mom just doesn't bring her to school that day. I don't know if she is still taking the medication anymore. To get to the point, I want to know what to do about it, or who to talk to about this. I know school is almost over for me, but I'm afraid she might do this next year as well.
Possibly Unrelated: She has tendinitis in her knees she wears a knee brace-strap thing, but she doesn't do anything else for it. She also runs several miles a week. I don't know if this could be useful, but I'm trying to put as much information as possible.
Edit:
Thanks for all of your replies I really appreciate it. I'm just saying that I think she is abusing her powers because she has said to my friend A, that she sometimes just skips class and school because she doesn't feel like going. She was staying out of school one day with my mom because her mom was working and my mom asked about why she said out loud "Yes! I'm missing that class today!"

mrslizzyg
05-14-2015, 05:34 PM
Well, the hardest part of this is wondering whether or not she is actually "abusing a power" or has a real issue and struggles with it. Honestly, there is no way to tell, because we can't tap into her mind and see what is going on in there.

As hard as this might be, the best thing you can probably do is be there for her. You can try the tough love approach and try to push her, but that doesn't usually work in the friends favor. If she is really struggling with anxiety, avoiding the issues that stress her out is only going to make it worse for her in the long run. Life gets a lot harder after school..

She can't get help until she wants to help herself.

Antisocialtheatrefreak
05-14-2015, 05:36 PM
I will tell you the chances are, this is not what's happening. She might have performance related anxiety, or, that class in particular just causes her a lot of stress. If you know she has an znxiety disorder, you need to be supportive. I skip school quite often due to anxiety problems, but I'm happy to do work of my group members text me what I need to do. I would recomend just having a freindly, non confrontational chat with her about what she can do. For instance, maybe she doesn't participate in the presentation, but, she does a little more of the prep work at home. The most important thing is to be really understanding.
PS. (Her "not wanting to go to class" is more like "I'm having gut wrenching nausea, an increased heart rate, and trembling shakes")

gadguy
05-15-2015, 08:08 AM
So, my friend has anxiety. I'm not sure if she has agoraphobia or anything else, I only know that she does have panic attacks. Recently, they have been getting more frequent. It got to the point where she had to start taking medication for it. She and her mom have talked to all of our teachers about her condition, and for the most part she doesn't say anything about them. There is this one teacher (who I'll be calling Mrs.S) that she doesn't like. I think it is because Mrs.S won't let her skip out of presentations or any other things that she just dosen't want to do. In the past, oh, three weeks or so, my friend has started to stay at home a lot, and skip classes. She has a pass of some sort from the counselor that basically lets her out of any class. When she is at school she often tries to skip Mrs.S's class. She was a partner on a project with another friend of mine (let's call her A). A said that my friend earned about ten points on a project that was worth 119 points, because she has been skipping class. She has confessed to A that she sometimes just skips class because she doesn't want to go. I think that if she tells her mom that a panic attack might come on her mom just doesn't bring her to school that day. I don't know if she is still taking the medication anymore. To get to the point, I want to know what to do about it, or who to talk to about this. I know school is almost over for me, but I'm afraid she might do this next year as well.
Possibly Unrelated: She has tendinitis in her knees she wears a knee brace-strap thing, but she doesn't do anything else for it. She also runs several miles a week. I don't know if this could be useful, but I'm trying to put as much information as possible.

There is not much you can do for her, but wait. If she is using her anxiety to get out of a class he does not like attending it will eventually come back to bite her in the butt, no ones fault but her own if this is the case. I can not speak for others, we are all different, but despite my anxiety I was never allowed by my parents and eventually by myself to allow my anxiety to stop me from doing anything I needed to do. I threw-up every morning before going to school, skipped breakfast and lunch so i would be empty and dry heaved in restroom before classes when I was I'm College also probably the first six months of any new job I started. I am very Thankful today for my parents tough approach towards my anxiety...some things could have been handled better but, I would not be were i am today if they had allowed my anxiety to stop me. It was hard, even nightmarish...I remember a lot of days after collge classes were over i would go to my dorm and sit in my closet. just to be alone and gather myself up again. But everyone is different and have different degrees of anxiety...I can only speak for myself.