PDA

View Full Version : Anxious about moving to a new flatshare

sarahtomson
05-13-2015, 03:39 AM
Currently doing a working holiday visa in oz. Got a job that I like, pays well and will allow me to save while still enjoying life here. In a flatshare, nice flat, ok flatmates (nice but do their own thing, aren't very sociable with eachother or me) but too far from work, buses aren't frequent enough to get me there on time and the costs add up.

Found some nice places nearer to work, have worked out they'll save me a whole lot of money, don't think they're hugely social flats but the flatmates seem nice in both. I have another viewing tomorrow then will make a decision.

But I am SO stressed and uneasy and anxious about the whole thing and I don't know why, it;s just making me so emotional at the moment. I guess it's partly because I don't know how they'll work out, I'm quite settled where I am with my room all set up and used to living here now.. but there's something I cant put my finger on that's making me feel really really panicky about the move. I've got really quite mild depression which has been fine after I was on a course of pills for it, a bit of anxiety that was linked but haven't felt this uneasy about something in a while.

Does anyone have any advice to keep me calm, make me see the positives and be excited about moving and having a more convenient home rather than dreading it and feeling like it could turn my world upside down?

I can't stop worrying about it :(

Mr Jingles
05-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Like you, housing is an area I'm very sensitive too. Probably because as an introvert, I spend a fair amount if time at home and I like to be comfortable.

On the one hand, your decisions will matter, so you probably do want to push yourself a little through the discomfort, or look into the discomfort to see if your intuition is telling you there's an issue you need to address as you evaluate your options.

On the other, be kind to yourself. If the whole situation is killing you with anxiety, consider reducing your expectations or moving more slowly, or even allowing yourself in advance to make a mistake. If you make a mistake, it will be a bummer, but you will deal with it.

So I'd say try to be kind, yet do the best you can.

gypsylee
05-13-2015, 06:41 AM
Where abouts in Oz are you?