PDA

View Full Version : Imaginary heart palpitations and other symptoms?

justbill
05-08-2015, 02:00 PM
I've been to the ER twice this week for chest pain and palpitations, along with a couple other times over the past year. Both times I went to the ER they put me on the EKG monitor(the "permanent" one that runs to the nurses station) and over the course of several hours experienced ZERO heart palpitations, even though I FELT like I said several.

Only one time have my palpitations actually been recorded(i'm getting fitted for a holter monitor next week)j but I'm starting to wonder if these symptoms are even real. Is it possible for some of my anxiety symptoms to be entirely in my head? The doctors ran tests for everything(thyroid, blood sugar, electrolytes, gall bladder) and can't find anything wrong with me.

I figure if schizophrenia can make people see and hear people that aren't actually there, it could be possible for the body to experience physical symptoms that may not be there as well. Is there any factual evidence to support this?

Mr Jingles
05-08-2015, 07:32 PM
@bill, you said "Is it possible for some of my anxiety symptoms to be entirely in my head?"

Absolutely. This is my impression after a lot of internet research. Also, I've read anxiety tends to make us more sensitive to physical symptoms. Makes sense. If we're on high alert, we are looking for danger.

Probably best to continue what you're doing, testing whether you have a physical problem, psychological, or both. Would you be worried or comforted if you got evidence that the problems were all in your head?

You must have been very scared to head to the ER. Sorry for that.