PDA

View Full Version : Depersonalization ?

valths
05-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Early the past winter i experienced severe anxiety accompanied with panic attacks,hyperventilation, numb hands, shaking etc. After some time i managed to control it and i haven't experienced a severe panic attack for 2-3 months now. Now when i feel that i am about to have one i have a set of rules that help me get over it in less than five minutes. Even though i have no more panic attacks i've experienced a weird feeling of Depersonalization. For instance i feel that my walking is happening on its own and i feel a bit detached when i walk alone. Some times i ask myself if what i am seeing is happening right now or if it is like a dream ( i have no hallucinations or voices ). This particular feeling usually happens when i haven't slept much. Sometimes i forget about it and i don't feel it at all. But still when i do have it i cant enjoy what i'm doing and i feel distanced. How can i make this feeling go away? Is it easy like the panic attacks where you follow some steps and you are fine in a while? Please help :D

Mr Jingles
05-07-2015, 09:25 AM
"Now when i feel that i am about to have one i have a set of rules that help me get over it in less than five minutes."

Would you mind telling me about your rules? I struggle with panic attacks and my ways of dealing with them are hit or miss.

I haven't experienced depersonalization as a symptom, but it sounds uncomfortable.

av1988
05-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Early the past winter i experienced severe anxiety accompanied with panic attacks,hyperventilation, numb hands, shaking etc. After some time i managed to control it and i haven't experienced a severe panic attack for 2-3 months now. Now when i feel that i am about to have one i have a set of rules that help me get over it in less than five minutes. Even though i have no more panic attacks i've experienced a weird feeling of Depersonalization. For instance i feel that my walking is happening on its own and i feel a bit detached when i walk alone. Some times i ask myself if what i am seeing is happening right now or if it is like a dream ( i have no hallucinations or voices ). This particular feeling usually happens when i haven't slept much. Sometimes i forget about it and i don't feel it at all. But still when i do have it i cant enjoy what i'm doing and i feel distanced. How can i make this feeling go away? Is it easy like the panic attacks where you follow some steps and you are fine in a while? Please help :D

I too have those thoughts occasionally where I'm thinking "It's weird that I made it to point A to point B. My legs are moving but how?"

I noticed those went away after I began more frequent exercise.

sae
05-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Depersonalization/Derealization is still a huge part of my life. I spend so much time in my own head that I am often on autopilot if I don't vigilantly make myself aware of my placement and my surroundings. I don't even really notice it if I am not paying attention.
What startles me is the rare moments in which everything becomes real again. Sounds are too loud, colors, lights are too bright, crowds are maddening, and it feels like every nerve in my body is firing at once. I love that sensation, but I am glad that it leaves as soon as it comes on.
Sometimes I think I am just wired wrong for the world around me. I'm okay with that.

gypsylee
05-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Depersonalization/Derealization is still a huge part of my life. I spend so much time in my own head that I am often on autopilot if I don't vigilantly make myself aware of my placement and my surroundings. I don't even really notice it if I am not paying attention.
What startles me is the rare moments in which everything becomes real again. Sounds are too loud, colors, lights are too bright, crowds are maddening, and it feels like every nerve in my body is firing at once. I love that sensation, but I am glad that it leaves as soon as it comes on.
Sometimes I think I am just wired wrong for the world around me. I'm okay with that.

I have to wear sunglasses most of the time, especially in places like supermarkets where the light is so bright it makes me want to die. Apparently my pupils dilate more than normal so there's a physical component, but it's also my "wiring". Noise drives me completely insane as well. I think it's an "introvert" thing - read up on introverts vs extraverts if you don't know about that; it was one of the keys to accepting myself more.

valths
05-08-2015, 08:26 AM
For panic attacks its like. 1) Accept that you are having a panic attack 2) Realize that you will not come to any harm as it is something natural 3)Ask for worse symptom dont wish for them to go away (A panic attack is to help you survive when something goes wrong, don't say it is not there, embrace it and ask for more 3) Distract yourself with TV or sth else 4) Boom you are ok :D
I have the feeling with the legs too, did not experience anything today, i'm testing a way to cope with it and it seems to work.

Mr Jingles
05-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Valths,

thanks for the panic tips.

valths
05-18-2015, 09:42 AM
found a way to cope with depersonalization, seems to work. 1) accept that dP is there and that you are afraid 2) know that DP is common and like panic attacks its a protective measure from extreme stress/anxiety 3) Realize that the thoughts of DP are not yours(your mind is creating them to cope with anxiety) 3) Don't listen to them since they are not yours 4) don't blame yourself for these thoughts