PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly visible veins??

Britanica
05-05-2015, 11:19 AM
For the last 5 months or so, my veins have been very visible at times. The first time it happened was after I was sitting still working for 10 hours. I noticed it in my hands and had an instant panic attack. Every since then the veins in my hands, arms, and legs have been showing more. The veins in my hands bulge while the rest do not. I am not sure if it is in my head or not, but i get pain in my hands as well.

It seems to be worse after a shower, sit for awhile or first thing when I wake up. I am worrying and I know this isn't helping my anxiety. I am 27 by the way and other than my blood pressure running lower than the average person, everyone tells me I am healthy. I do have skin flushing, like I have slight rosacea and kertosis pilaris on my legs.

My question is, can anxiety cause this? Or maybe not moving enough? I am not fat or skinny, I am probably 10 pounds heavier than I should be but I carry it in my butt and legs so my upper body, specially my arms and wrists are small. I drink enough water most days and eat pretty healthy. I don't drink soda or anything with caffeine. I don't even use over the counter pain meds or cold meds. I am very weird about what goes in my body.

Other than probiotics, vitamin c, and vitamin D3, I don't take anything. When this first started, I wasn't taking anything though.

Please someone ease my mind with this. I have been waking up feeling short of breath from either anxiety or acid reflux, which either was is do to stress.

av1988
05-05-2015, 11:51 AM
For the last 5 months or so, my veins have been very visible at times. The first time it happened was after I was sitting still working for 10 hours. I noticed it in my hands and had an instant panic attack. Every since then the veins in my hands, arms, and legs have been showing more. The veins in my hands bulge while the rest do not. I am not sure if it is in my head or not, but i get pain in my hands as well.

It seems to be worse after a shower, sit for awhile or first thing when I wake up. I am worrying and I know this isn't helping my anxiety. I am 27 by the way and other than my blood pressure running lower than the average person, everyone tells me I am healthy. I do have skin flushing, like I have slight rosacea and kertosis pilaris on my legs.

My question is, can anxiety cause this? Or maybe not moving enough? I am not fat or skinny, I am probably 10 pounds heavier than I should be but I carry it in my butt and legs so my upper body, specially my arms and wrists are small. I drink enough water most days and eat pretty healthy. I don't drink soda or anything with caffeine. I don't even use over the counter pain meds or cold meds. I am very weird about what goes in my body.

Other than probiotics, vitamin c, and vitamin D3, I don't take anything. When this first started, I wasn't taking anything though.

Please someone ease my mind with this. I have been waking up feeling short of breath from either anxiety or acid reflux, which either was is do to stress.
Improper office ergonomics could certainly cause the vein problem. I noticed that in my legs from sitting improperly for too long. Yes, that can CERTAINLY trigger a panic attack. Have you consulted your primary care physician?

av1988
05-05-2015, 11:53 AM

Sorry forgot to ask....are you exercising? If not doing that often, your blood circulation could be poor. That can be easy to fix. I fixed mine be regular running and cutting back on alcohol consumption. You will be fine :-)

Britanica
05-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Sorry forgot to ask....are you exercising? If not doing that often, your blood circulation could be poor. That can be easy to fix. I fixed mine be regular running and cutting back on alcohol consumption. You will be fine :-)

Thanks for responding. For the first question, no I have not but I have been told in the past that my posture isn't great. I have a sit down job where I sit several hours each day. No, I am not exercising regularly. I don't drink alcohol but I do smoke cigarettes. About 10 a day. Have you ever heard of rebounding? Like on a small trampoline? I am going to try doing that each hour for a few minutes. I am hoping it helps. I am freaked out by this.

Im-Suffering
05-05-2015, 12:21 PM
No, no no lets not get into the MayoClinic disease handbook of "I have every illness known to man" here.

Heat.

So, Cool off. Relax.

However,

If it would offer relief, consult a doctor.

Goomba
05-05-2015, 12:24 PM
I was always under the notion that this had to due with hydration and exercise.

Anxiety can mimic exercising conditions in the body, and therefore cause the same effects.

I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Own how you are feeling, however. It seems you are beginning to recognize that some lifestyle changes are in order. Don't suppress that.

av1988
05-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks for responding. For the first question, no I have not but I have been told in the past that my posture isn't great. I have a sit down job where I sit several hours each day. No, I am not exercising regularly. I don't drink alcohol but I do smoke cigarettes. About 10 a day. Have you ever heard of rebounding? Like on a small trampoline? I am going to try doing that each hour for a few minutes. I am hoping it helps. I am freaked out by this.

You sound just like me :-)

Cigs, lack of exercise, and not-so-great ergonomics...that's like the perfect storm for blood circulation. Consult your doctor for their professional opinion. It never hurts to cut back on the cigs (quit if possible), exercise, and go on youtube and find good ergonomic help videos.

Good luck!

Im-Suffering
05-05-2015, 12:31 PM

Anxiety can mimic exercising conditions in the body, and therefore cause the same effects.

Own how you are feeling, however. It seems you are beginning to recognize that some lifestyle changes are in order. Don't suppress that.

HEAT.

So awareness of the body. It is a built in mechanism. After a hot shower, in the morning (stressful dreams/sweats under the blanket for an extended time), after exercise, on a hot day. So whatever one is doing, stop and cool down for a bit. A cool shower for example.

av1988
05-05-2015, 12:32 PM
HEAT.

So awareness of the body. It is a built in mechanism. After a hot shower, in the morning, after exercise, on a hot day. So whatever one is doing, stop and cool down for a bit.

Question about that. If one does have poor blood circulation due to (any number of factors), let's say, poor ergonomics...and you heal yourself by exercise and diet...what's the likelihood of the poor circulation returning?

Im-Suffering
05-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Question about that. If one does have poor blood circulation due to (any number of factors), let's say, poor ergonomics...and you heal yourself by exercise and diet...what's the likelihood of the poor circulation returning?

Virtually none. It will exist as a memory, however. Should it return it would be guilt by association (with the memory along with a return to former 'habits' that created the problem). Let the beneficial changes be lifelong then or longstanding, you see?

Britanica
05-05-2015, 12:53 PM
No, no no lets not get into the MayoClinic disease handbook of "I have every illness known to man" here.

Heat.

So, Cool off. Relax.

However,

If it would offer relief, consult a doctor.

Problem with that is, I am normally more cold than hot these days. I also have central air so it is never hot in my house lol

Britanica
05-05-2015, 12:54 PM

Thanks. I do drink enough but I don't move enough. Maybe my body is telling me to move more.

Im-Suffering
05-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Problem with that is, I am normally more cold than hot these days. I also have central air so it is never hot in my house lol

That is a diversion adding to the 'mystery' and keeping the issue alive. We do love a good mystery.

The central AC has nothing to do with your internal temp. For example if you had a fever, it wouldnt make a difference if you lived in an igloo. Stress is a factor, working yourself up, and stoking the furnaces, you understand.

"I don't move enough. Maybe my body is telling me to move more." - yes if you want to raise the temperature even more, and dilate the veins. Vasodilation.

Of course we are not dismissing activity or exercise, but advocating an overall body awareness. If you havent been active in a while, and smoke, consult with your doctor prior to exercise.

Britanica
05-05-2015, 01:08 PM
You sound just like me :-)

Cigs, lack of exercise, and not-so-great ergonomics...that's like the perfect storm for blood circulation. Consult your doctor for their professional opinion. It never hurts to cut back on the cigs (quit if possible), exercise, and go on youtube and find good ergonomic help videos.

Good luck!

I did cut back. I was smoking a pack plus a day and got down to 10. I can get away with only smoking a few a day when I am busy and moving around. I know most people would be like "well just quit then" and I have before but I honestly just enjoy the taste and feel, specially after certain meals. lol Anyways, thanks I will look on Youtube.

Britanica
05-05-2015, 01:11 PM
That is a diversion adding to the 'mystery' and keeping the issue alive. We do love a good mystery.

The central AC has nothing to do with your internal temp. For example if you had a fever, it wouldnt make a difference if you lived in an igloo. Stress is a factor, working yourself up, and stoking the furnaces, you understand.

"I don't move enough. Maybe my body is telling me to move more." - yes if you want to raise the temperature even more, and dilate the veins. Vasodilation.

Of course we are not dismissing activity or exercise, but advocating an overall body awareness. If you havent been active in a while, and smoke, consult with your doctor prior to exercise.

I am young enough to not need a "yes you can" from a doctor to work out. It is not like I will be lifting weights and doing 2+ hours of cardio every day. lol From what I understand, working out to much or not enough will cause circulation issues, regardless of weight.