PDA

View Full Version : How I recently defeated my anxiety

av1988
05-04-2015, 02:02 PM
I didn't want to post this until it had been a while of being anxiety-free.

I was having panic attacks on a daily basis. Every once and a while, I would go to a doctor, get some pills (Xanax) and I'd be good for a month. My job is really high-speed so weekly counseling was out of the question. I just dealt with it.

My anxiety got worse and worse and the attacks lasted numerous hours! It was horrible. Everyday was literally me trying to pretend like I was working, but really I was concentrating on not dying. After a while, I turned to more frequent exercising. I realized that lifting weights didn't do much for me, so I needed something that I really enjoyed to get my mind of these panic attacks.

TENNIS! I love it. It's the one sport I can get sweaty and tired and not even realize I'm exercising. I realized the more I played, the less I was having the attacks.

This was the physical aspect of kicking the attacks. I still had to figure out how to mentally defeat them if I couldn't play tennis.

I was in the Army. I used to be very tough and didn't even believe in anxiety. I decided to apply those old feelings to kicking the attacks. I felt the beginning stages of an attack coming on one morning, I was at work, no Xanax, and no where to go. I then thought to myself, "Wait, I've had a million panic attacks, but so far, I've lived through 100% of them. I'm undefeated when combating panic attacks. They can't ever defeat me". Then I kind of laughed.

Since that moment, I have not had a panic attack. I have felt the beginning stages a few times, but have been easily able to toss it away. Panic attacks make your mind race. They make your muscles tired. You have to build your mental toughness. I love the 'new me' and enjoy the finer things in life.

I know how scary these things are. If you ever find yourself having an episode, just know that you are undefeated against your panic attacks. Know that every day above ground, is a good day.

-AV

Kuma
05-04-2015, 03:08 PM
This is good advice and something for all of us to strive for.

I have sometimes suggested to people here that they not succumb to the anxiety, or give up, or just resign themselves to the fact that "this is who i am and the way it will always be." You are saying something similar, but you said it better.

NixonRulz
05-04-2015, 03:28 PM
I didn't want to post this until it had been a while of being anxiety-free.

I was having panic attacks on a daily basis. Every once and a while, I would go to a doctor, get some pills (Xanax) and I'd be good for a month. My job is really high-speed so weekly counseling was out of the question. I just dealt with it.

My anxiety got worse and worse and the attacks lasted numerous hours! It was horrible. Everyday was literally me trying to pretend like I was working, but really I was concentrating on not dying. After a while, I turned to more frequent exercising. I realized that lifting weights didn't do much for me, so I needed something that I really enjoyed to get my mind of these panic attacks.

TENNIS! I love it. It's the one sport I can get sweaty and tired and not even realize I'm exercising. I realized the more I played, the less I was having the attacks.

This was the physical aspect of kicking the attacks. I still had to figure out how to mentally defeat them if I couldn't play tennis.

I was in the Army. I used to be very tough and didn't even believe in anxiety. I decided to apply those old feelings to kicking the attacks. I felt the beginning stages of an attack coming on one morning, I was at work, no Xanax, and no where to go. I then thought to myself, "Wait, I've had a million panic attacks, but so far, I've lived through 100% of them. I'm undefeated when combating panic attacks. They can't ever defeat me". Then I kind of laughed.

Since that moment, I have not had a panic attack. I have felt the beginning stages a few times, but have been easily able to toss it away. Panic attacks make your mind race. They make your muscles tired. You have to build your mental toughness. I love the 'new me' and enjoy the finer things in life.

I know how scary these things are. If you ever find yourself having an episode, just know that you are undefeated against your panic attacks. Know that every day above ground, is a good day.

-AV

Pretty amazing how once you stop fearing a panic attack, it doesn't have the any power

Well played

sae
05-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Know that every day above ground, is a good day.

-AV

All of the post is amazing, but this bit especially. This is the very thought that started my journey out of anxiety and depression. There were days I literally had nothing, no home, no money, I was sick, grieving, but I woke up, and that was enough to call it a good day.
Thank you for sharing this :)

NixonRulz
05-04-2015, 07:02 PM
All of the post is amazing, but this bit especially. This is the very thought that started my journey out of anxiety and depression. There were days I literally had nothing, no home, no money, I was sick, grieving, but I woke up, and that was enough to call it a good day.

That is awesome. Sometimes it takes a Pitbull song quote to make things click

av1988
05-05-2015, 08:12 AM
That is awesome. Sometimes it takes a Pitbull song quote to make things click

Inspired me :-)

av1988
05-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Pretty amazing how once you stop fearing a panic attack, it doesn't have the any power

Well played

Thank you! It makes me feel even better when I kicked the beginning stages. Just this morning I got pulled over (my inspection sticker expired the other day). As the cop was talking to me I felt my heart race (naturally for being pulled over). I thought it was coming back. However, I just put my head back and thought about every attack I beat in the past, 100% of them, and I felt calm. Very calm actually.

av1988
05-05-2015, 08:19 AM

I have sometimes suggested to people here that they not succumb to the anxiety, or give up, or just resign themselves to the fact that "this is who i am and the way it will always be." You are saying something similar, but you said it better.

Thank you for your kind words. It's really hard to convince yourself that you are stronger than the panic attacks or depression. Building mental toughness takes motivation and a willingness to carry on and pursue happiness. I believe everyone can achieve it.

av1988
05-05-2015, 08:22 AM

SAE, I've been there. Having panic attacks about how bad you think the next day's panic attacks will be? It's a nightmare. Taking it one day at a time really sets the tone. It gives YOU control over your emotions. By taking it day by day, you can then focus on the physical and mental aspects. Nobody should be a slave to anxiety and depression. That's one more stress added to life that we don't need.

Mental toughness, I can't stress those words enough, will cure anxiety. Building mental toughness is the hardest part. However, in doing so, one would be training their brain how to think. That means, you took control :-)

If you ever need anything, please reach out! I got your back.

av1988
05-05-2015, 09:32 AM

Kuma, thanks again for your kind words. I just realized something I forgot to add. You know what also helps me get through a panic attack? Convincing yourself that the worst that a panic attack can do to you, is make you pass out from hyperventilating. That too many panic attacks for me to realize I wasn't dying, and that it was all in my head. But eventually I was able to narrow my attacks down, by knowing that "hey, if this attack keeps up, I'll just pass out and wake up calm". I of course never passed out. But knowing that passing out was the worst that would happen, as opposed to dying, was a major factor in calming my mind.

Im-Suffering
05-05-2015, 09:58 AM
I have a few comments for the OP.

Forever the 'military' mindset - Which is indeed what you have to look at if you are to heal.

Kuma, thanks again for your kind words. I just realized something I forgot to add. You know what also helps me get through a panic attack? Convincing yourself that the worst that a panic attack can do to you, is make you pass out from hyperventilating. That too many panic attacks for me to realize I wasn't dying, and that it was all in my head. But eventually I was able to narrow my attacks down, by knowing that "hey, if this attack keeps up, I'll just pass out and wake up calm". I of course never passed out. But knowing that passing out was the worst that would happen, as opposed to dying, was a major factor in calming my mind.

The lie was not that anxiety would kill you (you relate best using 'war' terms, 'military', 'battles') -

But that your life was not worth living. (this belief among others was the cause of the mental and physical symptoms).

Should you kill another, (in whatever the namesake, whether God or country) - the self (you) is immediately killed in the process. (whether thought or deed) - no exceptions. This was intuitively 'felt'.

Once past that (changes both mentally and as a civilian), there was a renewed zest or value for each life, and the anti-life anxiousness subsided. The military had a great deal to do with the original feelings, reinforcing them. Although the anger, fear, was present in the psyche for many years.

Anxiety is not a 'thing' to kick, like an 'enemy', using terms you can relate to. Anxiety is your mind projected out and objectified. In those terms, you kicked your own ass (the war on terror was internal). And this helped.

av1988
05-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Thank you for your input. However, I disagree with the notion that you can't kick anxiety. Anxiety can become a habit. I made it a habit to panic every day, when I didn't need to. It's an illness in my opinion, and just like any illness, anxiety can be kicked. I also believe that it varies on the individual.

Im-Suffering
05-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Thank you for your input. However, I disagree with the notion that you can't kick anxiety. Anxiety can become a habit. I made it a habit to panic every day, when I didn't need to. It's an illness in my opinion, and just like any illness, anxiety can be kicked. I also believe that it varies on the individual.

Its never about the habit itself. Its about why you formed the habit. The 'habit' is the trojan horse.

And this is today's message. You can suppress almost any condition by sheer will or force alone, but rest assured it will resurface in some form and possibly as an entirely 'new' psychological (or physical) problem, until the inner (mental) work is dealt with (the cause).

By example, a doctor will often remove an organ to save a life, finding only later he will have to remove organ after organ as each one is affected. In such a case the inner work has not been done. (no belief changes)

In military terms, this is an invasion, a battle, and an enemy, you understand - symbolically.

av1988
05-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Its never about the habit itself. Its about why you formed the habit. The 'habit' is the trojan horse.

And this is today's message. You can suppress almost any condition by sheer will or force alone, but rest assured it will resurface in some form and possibly as an entirely 'new' psychological (or physical) problem, until the inner (mental) work is dealt with (the cause).

By example, a doctor will often remove an organ to save a life, finding only later he will have to remove organ after organ as each one is affected. In such a case the inner work has not been done. (no belief changes)

In military terms, this is an invasion, a battle, and an enemy, you understand - symbolically.

Thank you once again for your words. It's clear you have an in-depth knowledge on the subject. However, in my experience, I found that your way of thinking was making things more complicated than they need to be.

If you have the willpower to fight the attacks and win, you've succeeded. If you cannot, you need more help. Anxiety was something I beat on my own without doctor's care (I was not alone literally, I had my mother informed of my anxiety but that was it). I think the key is finding out what exactly makes you panic, harness it, then tell yourself what you already KNOW in the back of your mind....you'll live!!

Im-Suffering
05-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Thank you once again for your words. It's clear you have an in-depth knowledge on the subject. However, in my experience, I found that your way of thinking was making things more complicated than they need to be.

If you have the willpower to fight the attacks and win, you've succeeded. If you cannot, you need more help. Anxiety was something I beat on my own without doctor's care (I was not alone literally, I had my mother informed of my anxiety but that was it). I think the key is finding out what exactly makes you panic, harness it, then tell yourself what you already KNOW in the back of your mind....you'll live!!

The thoughts of an anxious person are in many ways related to that of a suicide. There is a denial of life, an anti-life in a sense and a refusal to accept how life unfolds on any other than a rigid set of terms. This rigidity creates a 'stuck' position, and since the thoughts are not life affirming, fear sets in. Certainly agoraphobia, and generally speaking the anxiety itself is limiting with its own set of boundaries. (false fences, inaccurate value judgments).

Im saying this because as you help others (and I applaud you for that), you will find that you need a good 'well rounded' understanding. Yes, they will live, but afraid to face life on anything other than a rigid set of terms is terrifying, you see, and this could be an obstruction to your teachings (and frustration), so add this to your arsenal of understanding moving forward. I know you will change the world in your own unique way. For this, I salute you -

Peace

av1988
05-05-2015, 10:52 AM
The thoughts of an anxious person are in many ways related to that of a suicide. There is a denial of life, an anti-life in a sense and a refusal to accept how life unfolds on any other than a rigid set of terms. This rigidity creates a 'stuck' position, and since the thoughts are not life affirming, fear sets in. Certainly agoraphobia, and generally speaking the anxiety itself is limiting with its own set of boundaries. (false fences, inaccurate value judgments).

Im saying this because as you help others (and I applaud you for that), you will find that you need a good 'well rounded' understanding. Yes, they will live, but afraid to face life on anything other than a rigid set of terms is terrifying, you see, and this will be the obstruction to your teachings, so add this to your arsenal of understanding moving forward.

Peace

Don't you think that telling someone that they are afraid of something, might actually make them afraid of something? You never know for certain if they actually fear it. Treat the symptoms to get the solution, was my way of handling it.

Im-Suffering
05-05-2015, 11:05 AM
Don't you think that telling someone that they are afraid of something, might actually make them afraid of something? You never know for certain if they actually fear it. Treat the symptoms to get the solution, was my way of handling it.

Its not that you will say 'you are afraid of the dark" and so they will keep one eye open for monsters - It is rather "look into the dark, because the false beliefs will reveal themselves as illusions, the monsters you imagine are not real"

You are not creating the picture of the monsters therefor or planting any destructive seed, they (monsters) have always been there, you are asking them - to face them, for validity, and expose them so they can change their belief to a beneficial one.

Now, using your approach, you could sit in bed all night keeping watch, with armor, shield, and sword. And if the monsters never show, you have kicked the habit. But..what if the monster is on to your scheme, and waits patiently until you put away your armor and shield, you see. In this case you still believe in monsters, just that they havent killed you, yet.

These two scenarios are different now.

Ive got to say, you are making me smile :)

av1988
05-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Its not that you will say 'you are afraid of the dark" and so they will keep one eye open for monsters - It is rather "look into the dark, because the false beliefs will reveal themselves as illusions, the monsters you imagine are not real"

You are not creating the picture of the monsters therefor or planting any destructive seed, they (monsters) have always been there, you are asking them - to face them, for validity, and expose them so they can change their belief to a beneficial one.

Now, using your approach, you could sit in bed all night keeping watch, with armor, shield, and sword. And if the monsters never show, you have kicked the habit. But..what if the monster is on to your scheme, and waits patiently until you put away your armor and shield, you see. In this case you still believe in monsters, just that they havent killed you, yet.

These two scenarios are different now.

Ive got to say, you are making me smile :)

My approach wouldn't be staying up all night, armor and shield. That's not at all my approach. My approach would be to convince yourself of the truth, that you can fall asleep without seeing monsters. That you have fallen asleep every night, your entire life, and have never been eaten by a monster. That it's all in your head.

Thank you for your inputs, it's nice learning the other ways of thinking. I'm sure yours is the most rational approach, I just have a different one. Of course, I am no professional. I am just an Operations Manager at a health care consulting firm. IE: I have no experience in the brain. Just using 1st hand success.

Im-Suffering
05-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Very good information, and I thank you for your input too !

This will wind up being a very helpful thread. Well done. If you ever want to bounce anything off me, send a PM.

av1988
05-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Very good information, and I thank you for your input too !

This will wind up being a very helpful thread. Well done. If you ever want to bounce anything off me, send a PM.

Thank you! I will could absolutely use your input on many things. I'll keep you in mind :-)