PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and marriage

TexasWildflower
04-30-2015, 09:15 AM
I have been married for almost 12 years now and feel as if anxiety, depression, panic attacks is ruining my marriage. I thought my husband was supportive, patient and my best friend, but now I think he has been putting up with me and it hurts so bad. He says he will go to counseling with me for years but hasn't. We argue over everything and he just pushes me away. I tell him how I feel and he just tells me what he thinks I want to hear.

How do I get him to be serious about my feelings and understand about living with anxiety?

Any advice will help

NixonRulz
04-30-2015, 09:37 AM
I have been married for almost 12 years now and feel as if anxiety, depression, panic attacks is ruining my marriage. I thought my husband was supportive, patient and my best friend, but now I think he has been putting up with me and it hurts so bad. He says he will go to counseling with me for years but hasn't. We argue over everything and he just pushes me away. I tell him how I feel and he just tells me what he thinks I want to hear.

How do I get him to be serious about my feelings and understand about living with anxiety?

Any advice will help

For starters, let him take a trip through this forum's threads and read how so many people, yourself included, suffer from many types of anxiety disorders

It is hard for people without anxiety to understand what you are going through. It's not their fault but it is really hard to grasp unless you get to live this dream

Stress causes anxiety to come alive and if you are continually fighting with your man, that stress gets the anxiety all fired up.

Have you taken any steps to alleviate the anxiety symptoms? Meds, supplements, meditation?

Getting your symptoms under control allows you to focus on the cause of the anxiety itself and to learn how to easily cope with symptoms until you dial in your path to overcoming it altogether

It can be done. It can be a bit of trial and error

Kuma
04-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Why has your husband said he would go to counseling with you but then not done so? Could you take the initiative on that by identifying a capable counselor in your area who is accepting new clients, and then ask your husband to join you?

I have done marital counseling, and I found that it helped make my marriage better and it also helped with my anxiety, because marriage problems can cause stress which exacerbates anxiety.