PDA

View Full Version : Anxious about everything after recovering from depression.

dianareeves
04-28-2015, 09:29 PM
I am desperate in need of some help here. My parents passed away in an accident about a year back. I was depressed for several weeks and somehow recovered from that depression, but then started getting anxious about everything. I started to get anxious about getting sick, getting failed for exams, getting a job after studies, friends and families' health, dogs getting hurt, and about almost everything I can think about. I am getting a feeling that this is getting out of control. I wanted to get some kind of treatment. I searched about treatments for anxiety and read anxiety treatment center reviews on sites like californiarehabclinicreviews.com to find a good treatment center. But then again, I started getting anxious about how that will affect my future and if treatment doesn't work and that sort of things. I may need some advice, even though I don’t know if it will help a lot.

sae
04-28-2015, 09:53 PM
Hi and welcome from another that has experienced extreme anxiety after the death of close family.
Grieving is an awful process that takes so much time. I have found that even greater than medication or seeing a head doctor, my anxiety has improved with a combination of grief counselling and a good support system.
I went into grief counselling with the notion I had already finished that nasty little process, went through all the stages. I had accepted my husband was gone yet I still had the looming death thoughts that took over my everday life. It was through counselling that I learned that the last stage, acceptance, isn't just about accepting a loved ones death, but accepting death within the natural order of all things. I did the same things, I didn't allow my dog outside, my kid outside to play. I was terrified at any moment they too would just pass away.
I am still not all the way there, and it isn't fair to expect yourself to be there either. You aren't crazy, the world isn't ending either. Give yourself more time, cry when it comes, talk it out when the need arises. It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor about any concerns you have but especially look into grief counselling, it will be the best most painful thing you could do for yourself, imo.

I hope this helps. If you ever need someone to talk it out with please feel free to pm me anytime.

gypsylee
04-29-2015, 04:38 AM
"..accepting death within the natural order of things." (Sae)

Absolutely. I think this acceptance is pretty much the key to dealing with all change, not just physical death. That in turn helps with a lot of anxiety. Grief can easily manifest as anxiety because the subconscious is trying to process one of the biggest changes humans can experience. Be kind to yourself and give it time.

Gypsy x

Mr Jingles
05-07-2015, 08:54 AM
I wanted to get some kind of treatment. I searched about treatments for anxiety and read anxiety treatment center reviews on sites like californiarehabclinicreviews.com to find a good treatment center. But then again, I started getting anxious about how that will affect my future and if treatment doesn't work and that sort of things.

I also get anxious about not knowing the future or whether my decisions are good or going to work out.

I heard in a podcast by Tara Brach that some study found that when worried about things actually happened suffering was half what people's fears predicted. Also, they way underestimated their ability to cope with the situation.

Anxiety makes it difficult for me to take action. That creates fear and I find the expectations of myself get even tighter. Lately I've been trying to loosen expectations. Stay in motion, get better, but try to do it at a pace that doesn't stress me out more than the anxiety is already doing. This pace is not necessarily the pace the fear demands. And my decisions are far from perfect. But I do seem to be getting better. It's hard to make decisions when I worry about outcomes and my thoughts are telling me if I'm not certain, it's not going to work out.