PDA

View Full Version : A Strange Feeling Accompanied by Likewise Strange Obsessions

Propman
04-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Dear forum readers,
I'm new here but not to Anxiety. I'm twenty-two years of age at the moment and have been officially diagnosed with G.A.D. since age fifteen.
Lately, I've been experimenting with marijuana. This has been mostly pleasant. Mostly's flip-side came out a couple of days ago (with a bit of a possible build-up).

In the days leading up to what I'm about to describe, my "highs" began becoming a lot more introspective. Complex questions about the nature of life and of humanity seemed relatively easy to answer. Problematically, though, said answers had a tendency to make existence seem cheap. (Ex. "Humans are simply biological machines pretending to be special, creating all other forms of expression (especially religion) to snuff their naturally selected fear of death" or "Weakness is knowing life doesn't matter. Courage is knowing the same but choosing not to care.") Then, one day, what started out as a seemingly normal "high" took a sharp turn into a wall of existentialism. I began feeling extremely disconnected from my past. It was as though I understood what I was seeing as now — absolute — while my past seemed shaky, as if scribbled down quickly in poor detail by a writer with bad penmanship. It felt akin to a computer coming online for the first time, seemingly restarting with every passing nanosecond.

After a horrible night and a sluggish, foggy afternoon, I came down to my best friend's house for comfort. It helped immensely until he commented on a bracelet I was wearing. I have a very fond feeling toward the bracelet in question but I have no idea where I bought it or why, even though I know it was meaningful. Obviously, as time passes, memories of certain things fade. I've always understood that and have always been relatively at ease with that notion. This time, though, I went into full-on panic mode. I fell asleep dreaming about it. I woke up (several times) wondering about it (the last of which ended with me scouring the internet for the company who produced it and emailing them, asking if they had sold that particular product to any business in my hometown.) Aware as I may be that such thoughts/actions are a waste of time, I feel as though I MUST remember. (However, as a side note, I've felt similarly toward hazy dreams in the past, long before any of this occurred.)

Before I summarize this diatribe into a question, I'd like to say: thank you for reading this, for your consideration and your thoughts on the subject (whatever they may be).
Alright. What I'm trying to ask in a round-about way is: should I be worried about any of this or is it all just another disguised manifestation of anxiety/O.C.D.?

P.S. I put down cigarettes two or three days ago after smoking around have a pack daily. If this information is irreverent, simply ignore it. I felt it was worth adding for full disclosure.

Mr Jingles
05-07-2015, 04:25 AM
Anxiety and depression has definitely brought out thoughts like you describe in me, existential in nature. It makes sense that it would. I feel, especially in panic attacks, that I'm experiencing that threat to survival on both the adrenaline level and a mental level. Almost as though my mind realizes how precarious and uncertain everything is, if I choose to dwell on it. And anxiety causes me to spend more time alone, which translates to more time for dwelling.

Your description of panic and NEEDING to know about the origin of the bracelet sounds painful. I can relate to being gripped by a problem of the mind and it refuses to let go.

How did that resolve for you? Did the problem eventually pass or did you finally answer where and how you got the bracelet?

Should you worry about all this? Probably not. Here's at least one anxiety sufferer, me, that can relate, and i haven't exploded yet, even though it often feels like i will. But the reality is that you are worrying, and on a certain level that's OK. But if you worry about your worrying, well that's just one more thing we have in common.

Propman
05-11-2015, 01:44 AM
Well, Mr. Jingles (I love your username and matching profile picture), I never found out where I got it because I realized it just wasn't important. I knew everything about it (why I got it, why I liked it, etc.) and that's all I really needed to know. Worrying about worrying is definitely a feedback loop I've experienced. I'm sorry you've put up with similar. Thank you so much for replying to my post and giving me something/someone to relate to. It really did help quite a bit just to get a different perspective on the whole thing.

Mr Jingles
05-14-2015, 08:15 AM
How is quitting smoking going?

Glad to hear the bracelet situation let up. It still amazes me every time how my mind can get some situation stuck inside and feel like it's life or death and then some time later just drop the whole thing.

Antisocialtheatrefreak
05-14-2015, 05:57 PM
I've heard weed can make anxiety worse for some people.. maybe you're one of them? It might also be reacting with any meds you take. I've dealt with the whole existential crisis thing since I was 8. It helps me to write down what I'm feeling, to kinda get all the thoughts out.. that's just my take lamo