PDA

View Full Version : What is happening here?

BrookeLynnnn
04-25-2015, 07:13 PM
I went out to dinner tonight with my sister & friend.. I was anxious the whole time. Couldn't stop thinking of how I would get out of there if I had an attack. Well, no attack. Just the stupid anxious feeling..

My question is: next time I believe I'll be just as scared. How do I get over this? Not push away the panic when it comes on & let it ride? I try to self talk but it really doesn't help. My mind goes right back to worrying about the panic.

Any advice welcome! Sorry I keep posting so much lately!

Dahila
04-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Just let it pass, it will pass ::))

BrookeLynnnn
04-25-2015, 07:31 PM
Just let it pass, it will pass ::))

Ugh it sucks so bad..

Goomba
04-25-2015, 07:33 PM
But you made progress! It's a good thing that you didn't have an attack!

Don't undermine that.

It's ok to feel scared, and today, you were stronger than your fears. Well done.

BrookeLynnnn
04-25-2015, 07:36 PM

Don't undermine that.

It's ok to feel scared, and today, you were stronger than your fears. Well done.

It's hard seeing that I've made progress when I still feel like shit.. Lol

But thank you very much!

Goomba
04-25-2015, 07:43 PM
I hear ya, but it will make sense one day.

gypsylee
04-25-2015, 07:50 PM
If I had to classify my anxiety it would be social anxiety without a doubt. So I've been in these situations more times than I can remember. Sitting at a dinner table with people is probably one of THE hardest things for someone with social anxiety because there's no distractions, nowhere you can hide. If you keep that in mind and accept that this is a very difficult thing for us to do, it takes some of the pressure off to feel "normal". I used to add to my anxiety a lot by feeling very inadequate and wondering why it's so hard for me to do things that seem effortless and even fun for other people. Once I accepted that I am not an extraverted person (reading about introverts vs extraverts was very enlightening) I eased up on myself about it. I still find it hard but I don't add to the anxiety by beating myself up anymore. Just think - well done, I got through that without running outside!

:)

gypsylee
04-25-2015, 07:52 PM

Don't undermine that.

Yep exactly :)

Dahila
04-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Brooke you winning anyway.
Social anxiety is a bitch not doubts about it. Maybe it will make you better knowing that have it pretty badly plus the hearing loss. I am so anxious weeks before any gathering (I avoid it at all cost)
I can not sleep thinking; What if I do not understand people, what If my hearing aids stop working what will I do? It goes on and on, still when I finally get brave enough, not having any more excuses, I really enjoy it:))
My children just call me antisocial:))
You will get the idea that facing the fear diminished it.
Keep enjoying the life now, after baby comes, there will be not time :)

alex42
04-26-2015, 05:33 AM
I went out to dinner tonight with my sister & friend.. I was anxious the whole time. Couldn't stop thinking of how I would get out of there if I had an attack. Well, no attack. Just the stupid anxious feeling..

My question is: next time I believe I'll be just as scared. How do I get over this? Not push away the panic when it comes on & let it ride? I try to self talk but it really doesn't help. My mind goes right back to worrying about the panic.

Any advice welcome! Sorry I keep posting so much lately!

Was driving a few days ago and had this "uneasy" feeling the whole time. Not a full panic attack... Just feeling "on edge"... Like at any second it could go into a full blown panic situation. So... I pulled over, got out of the car and let it pass. My point is, it is OK to excuse yourself to regroup your mind. Screw what other people think. It doesn't matter. Take care of YOU. You'll be fine.

dl1986
04-26-2015, 03:47 PM
Hey!
I find that when i am out with friends, i feel the most calm. Remember that if you're going to have an attack, there are so many people in a restaurant that would be able to call for help, and maybe even there would be a doctor or a nurse eating at the restaurant that you are at. Anxiety sucks i know...It literally can cause so many issues and affect everyday life. It's horrible. When i start feeling really anxious, i find taking some deep breathes helps alot. Inhale and count to 5, and then let it out. I find that most of my pain goes away after that. Also, hot, quiet showers help me too.

BrookeLynnnn
04-26-2015, 03:51 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind words & advice! It's much appreciated.

Dahlia, I had no idea! I can totally imagine how that would bring on anxiety.. You're so strong & wise. I've noticed this from all your comments.

Dl1986, I always think about that! Lol I'm like, you never know who is a nurse in here so just be calm because at least one person has to be!