PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety is affecting my career...time to change paths?

patos90
04-20-2015, 12:22 PM
24/m. After struggling with anxiety most of my life, I was formally diagnosed last week. I'm on day 7 of Prozac 10mg. Things are looking up, I'm noticing some improvements in mood and somatically (I also have IBS), and I know it takes even longer for the full effects.

I'm a smart guy, graduated from a good school with good grades. Am able to land jobs where I want. But I suck at keeping them. I work in marketing, and am now on my 6th marketing job in 3 years. Things always start out great but after a month or two I just lose all motivation and focus, and end up on Reddit for most of the day. No matter how hard I try, there's a wall preventing me from accomplishing tasks. I love to write, but I live with constant writers block at work.

With the meds now, I feel like I'm making progress at home but then walk back into work and the anxiety kicks back into high gear. I'm getting to the conclusion that marketing isn't for me - at least the me with anxiety. I need a job where I'm super engaged and can't escape off into internet land. I'm seriously considering going back to school to get a teaching credential for PE.

But that's the long game. I need help with the short game. Every day is a struggle. I spend most of my day at this job where I can't get anything done - and yes, it really feels like a "can't" - and it makes me feel terrible. What can I do?

gypsylee
04-20-2015, 08:48 PM
24/m. After struggling with anxiety most of my life, I was formally diagnosed last week. I'm on day 7 of Prozac 10mg. Things are looking up, I'm noticing some improvements in mood and somatically (I also have IBS), and I know it takes even longer for the full effects.

I'm a smart guy, graduated from a good school with good grades. Am able to land jobs where I want. But I suck at keeping them. I work in marketing, and am now on my 6th marketing job in 3 years. Things always start out great but after a month or two I just lose all motivation and focus, and end up on Reddit for most of the day. No matter how hard I try, there's a wall preventing me from accomplishing tasks. I love to write, but I live with constant writers block at work.

With the meds now, I feel like I'm making progress at home but then walk back into work and the anxiety kicks back into high gear. I'm getting to the conclusion that marketing isn't for me - at least the me with anxiety. I need a job where I'm super engaged and can't escape off into internet land. I'm seriously considering going back to school to get a teaching credential for PE.

But that's the long game. I need help with the short game. Every day is a struggle. I spend most of my day at this job where I can't get anything done - and yes, it really feels like a "can't" - and it makes me feel terrible. What can I do?

Hey there,

I have a degree in Marketing too (from one of Melbourne's top universities) and I never really did much with it because of my damn anxiety. I found the environment way too aggressive for my personality (even without anxiety). For example I'd get told off by my boss for being "too nice" to people. In hindsight it was a really dumb choice of career for me but who knew when I was that young? You're still young enough to change direction though.

Prozac took about 3 weeks to kick in for me, so you're doing well after only one week. Just give it some more time - it made a massive difference for me. Go easy on yourself.. Starting SSRIs and working in marketing wouldn't be easy!

All the best,
Gypsy x

jessed03
04-21-2015, 05:15 AM
Keep any ideas on ice, for now.

The Prozac will make some changes, one way or another. You'll want to see how you respond to those before making any long-term decisions.

You may even go up a dose, as 20mg is usually the standard dose.

Im-Suffering
04-21-2015, 05:51 AM
Ive taken out the smoke and mirrors and left one concise thought.

"struggling with anxiety most of my life." -

Then recapitulate most of your life, back to the origins of the anxious feelings/thoughts.

"No matter how hard I try, there's a wall preventing me from accomplishing tasks." -

Whatever you do for them, you tire of. You will find out who 'they' are, as you recount your life from the inception of the anxious feelings.

"What can I do?" -

An about face, straight into the mirror. With an honest self evaluation, your beliefs, value judgments.

It does not matter what you do, rather what you are being while doing it. This if reflected on, (brutally honest) beneath all of the sludge of false beliefs, will lead you to freedom.

No amount of drugs or mind trickery (changing jobs, this, that, or whatever you 'physically do') will force you to love your life and its moments (in your terms 'productive').

Eliminating the reasons (mentally) why you cant live happily (the wall), will leave you with fulfillment (the opposite of the current life).

THE WALL is symbolic of the psychological 'barriers' imposed by caretakers early on, instilled as a set of 'beliefs' about self and the world through conditioning.

The wall (s)... needs to come down. And they will, one way or another.

jessed03
04-21-2015, 05:54 AM
Ive taken out the smoke and mirrors and left one concise thought.

It does not matter what you do, rather what you are being while doing it. This if reflected on, (brutally honest) beneath all of the sludge of false beliefs, will lead you to freedom.

No amount of drugs or mind trickery (changing jobs, this, that, or whatever you 'physically do') will force you to love your life and its moments.

Eliminating the reasons (mentally) why you cant live happily, will leave you with fulfillment (the opposite of the current life).

I notice you have a Jane Roberts sig. Have you ever read another book in that genre called The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts?

Did you like it?

(Sorry for the thread hi-jack, OP. Just wanted to ask that one question.)

Im-Suffering
04-21-2015, 06:13 AM
I notice you have a Jane Roberts sig. Have you ever read another book in that genre called The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts?

Did you like it?

(Sorry for the thread hi-jack, OP. Just wanted to ask that one question.)

Mr Fishers religious conditioning from his mother did not help, period. Convincing him that 'demons' exist which indeed triggered his occult investigations (curiosity as a child). Now, ofcourse he has (was taught) seen the errors in thought - beliefs (that conditioning) leading up to and including the suicide.

I don't need to visit this sort of drama, especially destructive in nature. But I also do not deny anyone their own experience.

I do not channel one 'ghost'. I tune in with whomever I wish, which is in no way any 'invasion' so to speak. I wont go any further into this one because of the distortions (spirits were 'after him'), it would not benefit anyone.

A side note Jess, always look for the benefit, in making the world a better place.

Im-Suffering
04-21-2015, 06:26 AM
The magical approach (Seth) : (which would benefit the OP per this thread) - The natural expression the self takes, not cluttered down with a myriad of dysfunctional beliefs -

"The magical approach takes it for granted that the human being is a united creature, fulfilling purposes in nature even as the animals do, whether or not those purposes are understood. The magical approach takes it for granted that each individual has a future, a fulfilling one, even though death may be tomorrow. The magical approach takes it for granted that the means for development are within each individual, and that fulfillment will happen naturally. Overall, that approach operates in your world. If it did not, there would be no world. If the worst was bound to happen, as scientists certainly think, even evolution, in their terms, would have been impossible."

jessed03
04-21-2015, 08:15 AM
Ah ok, cool. Thanks for your reply. Yeah, Jane's book is probably more insightful, but I find the other is easier to follow. I read both more for entertainment though, so I didn't get out of either what you did.

Kuma
04-21-2015, 09:47 AM
I don't know anything about channeling ghosts (other than watching Casper re-runs and the Ghostbusters movie) and I personally don't believe that anyone has magical psychic powers, or that ouija boards are useful (other than as party games), or that Jane Roberts or any other human has the ability to speak to, or speak on behalf of, any imaginary or dead humans. All of that strikes me as complete nonsense.

But I do think there is something really important and valuable in this thread. That is Jessed's suggestion that the OP not making any life-altering career decisions when starting a new SSRI. Instead, give it a little time and see how it goes. THEN, after you have adjusted to the medication for some time, you can see whether your are less anxious or not, whether you are more focused at work or not, and whether you are more inclined to continue marketing, or less inclined.... But better not to make that decision when your mind is in a state of flux, as it often is when starting a new med.

If you decide you would rather be a PE teacher, then that is great. If you want to stay with marketing, also great. All you need to do with a career decision is figure out what you have aptitude for and what you enjoy, and then make sure that it pays enough to meet your responsibilities and the standard of living that you want. But it is not so easy to switch back and forth, so it is good to make those decisions thoughtfully and when you feel you are at a sort of "stable" point.

If your concern is a lack of focus -- you might address that with a doctor. There are medications that can help with focus. I am not sure whether you would want to take such medications, or how they would interact with Prozac, but you could at least have the conversation. There are also probably ways that you could "train yourself" to have better focus. A coach or counselor or therapist might be able to help you with that, IF you are motivated to work hard to make the changes. Alternatively, maybe you lack focus at work because you don't like what you are doing. And if that is the case, you are young enough to make a change....

Best wishes.

patos90
04-21-2015, 11:45 AM
If your concern is a lack of focus -- you might address that with a doctor. There are medications that can help with focus. I am not sure whether you would want to take such medications, or how they would interact with Prozac, but you could at least have the conversation. There are also probably ways that you could "train yourself" to have better focus. A coach or counselor or therapist might be able to help you with that, IF you are motivated to work hard to make the changes. Alternatively, maybe you lack focus at work because you don't like what you are doing. And if that is the case, you are young enough to make a change....

Thanks for the reply. I agree it's not best to make any life decisions while starting an SSRI. However, I have felt like this at work for several weeks now. It's kind of a chicken-or-egg scenario. I lack focus at work because I don't like what I'm doing. But I also don't like what I'm doing because it's been proven over the last 2 years that I can't handle the job.

Maybe the Prozac will improve my focus at work. So far it's gone the other way. I feel better outside of work, but am even more depressed at work. Then feel that depression weighing me down some outside of work too.

I feel I need a less-demanding job in the short-term while I work on my anxiety. But I will hold out here longer, even though constantly I want nothing more than to go break down in the bathroom :(

patos90
04-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Hey there,

I have a degree in Marketing too (from one of Melbourne's top universities) and I never really did much with it because of my damn anxiety. I found the environment way too aggressive for my personality (even without anxiety). For example I'd get told off by my boss for being "too nice" to people. In hindsight it was a really dumb choice of career for me but who knew when I was that young? You're still young enough to change direction though.

Prozac took about 3 weeks to kick in for me, so you're doing well after only one week. Just give it some more time - it made a massive difference for me. Go easy on yourself.. Starting SSRIs and working in marketing wouldn't be easy!

All the best,
Gypsy x

Thanks for sharing Gyspy! If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing now?

I always felt it'd be stupid to change careers after spending 4 years in college studying for the job I worked so hard to obtain. But it's pretty clear I can't handle it as is. Maybe things will change in a few more weeks with the Prozac. But I feel like the job is multiplying the anxiety and depression, reducing the effectiveness of my Prozac gains.

jessed03
04-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Seth says, "When you do not know what to do, relax and tell yourself that other portions of yourself do know; they will take over."

Do you see? This is very important. The part of you that is truly the self knows. The confusion comes from the identity problems that cloud your vision. The more you stress yourself over trying to find your direction, the harder it is to hear the voice inside of you telling you what your direction is.

This is all for now. When you can understand what I am saying, you will realize how important it is to let go of these disruptive ideas. Read and re-read this post as much as you need to. This goes for everybody. You, reading this, can benefit as much from my words as the original poster.

Kuma
04-21-2015, 04:53 PM
Seth says, "When you do not know what to do, relax and tell yourself that other portions of yourself do know; they will take over."

Do you see? This is very important. The part of you that is truly the self knows. The confusion comes from the identity problems that cloud your vision. The more you stress yourself over trying to find your direction, the harder it is to hear the voice inside of you telling you what your direction is.

This is all for now. When you can understand what I am saying, you will realize how important it is to let go of these disruptive ideas. Read and re-read this post as much as you need to. This goes for everybody. You, reading this, can benefit as much from my words as the original poster.

Has anyone met this guy Seth? Or the tooth fairy?