PDA

View Full Version : Mindfulness

Kuma
04-16-2015, 11:39 AM
I have been considering trying to learn more about mindfulness, as a way of combatting stress and anxiety. I have read a few things about it, but the descriptions seem very vague. They talk about "learning to live in the moment [or in the present]" and such things. What does that mean? Does it mean training your mind not to worry about the future? Can someone give me a practical, plain language description of what mindfulness involves and how it works? Thanks.

Dahila
04-16-2015, 11:46 AM
It means to live in the moment, to enjoy and observe. Let's see; when you do dishes you can practice mindfulness, everything what you do should be slow and observe, without judgement. You can practice walking, sitting , lying down, and simply do observe your breath :))

jessed03
04-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Mindfulness in Plain English is a good book that you may find helpful. That was the book that got me into mindfulness. I think you can read it online for free too if you Google.

I've found all spirituality in general is very vague, but mindfulness is at least something you can practice and understand for yourself.

Goomba
04-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Two quotes that put it into perspective for me are something like:

"When you're living in the past, you are depressed. When you're living in the future, you are anxious. Live in the moment to be at peace."

"All there ever is, is now. The future is a concept, it doesn't exist. Even when you reach the future, you will be in the now."

Your entire life exists in the moment. Mindfulness starts with learning to experience the present moment, which can be difficult as we often make sense of reality with thought processes that exist outside of the moment.

It is about learning to own who you are, and where you are at. It's about making a decision to have an experience at this very moment. There is beauty in everything. It's about making sense of your reality utilizing experience and what is currently happening.

Anxiety is often accompanied with "What if" thinking. Mindfulness would say that kind of thinking is pointless, as we have an infinite amount moments before what if, each one an opportunity to live, grow, and find fulfillment.

I can talk more about it if you'd like. True mindfulness also goes into being appreciative, spreading love, etc, but I don't believe you asked about those things lol.

sae
04-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

I think being mindful, living in the moment has alot to do with adjusting ones priority hierarchy. To throw a little "me" example: I have been stressing out hardcover about this silly wedding business. What is important for me at this very moment however is the fact my eyes are beginning to itch again. I can't fix the wedding anxiety right now but I can easily shut my windows and take a Claritin.
In anxiety I think a person tends to fixate on the unfixable, falling into a sort of despair over things not within immediate control. I have to make a conscious effort to take in myself and my surroundings constantly, setting aside the what if's just long enough to attend to the present.

ctb1988
04-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Mindfulness is about being present.
For example, I catch myself daydreaming during many times of the day. Or at work, I find myself thinking a lot about what might be going on this weekend while I should be more focused on my task. I catastrophize, plan, dwell, replay things over and over in my head. Being more mindful is one of the more important short-term goals I have for myself. IMO, it's really challenging for a lot of us with anxiety because we tend to be planners.
A good way to learn more about mindfulness might be to read up on and try meditation. It seems hard because it's like "what do you mean just shut off your thoughts?". You can start very simply, just 5 minutes. Get into a comfortable position (I like to do it outside if the weather is accomodating). Focus on the sensations of your body, smells, your breathing, etc. I'd say it's pretty normal to let your thoughts wander about 20 seconds into it when you first start, lol. I start thinking "man, i can't wait until i start seeing results" or "hmm that smells strange, I wonder where it's coming from... I hope everything is okay". But it gets easier.

gypsylee
04-16-2015, 07:45 PM
I have been considering trying to learn more about mindfulness, as a way of combatting stress and anxiety. I have read a few things about it, but the descriptions seem very vague. They talk about "learning to live in the moment [or in the present]" and such things. What does that mean? Does it mean training your mind not to worry about the future? Can someone give me a practical, plain language description of what mindfulness involves and how it works? Thanks.

Yes, training your mind not to worry about the future (or ruminate about the past) is pretty accurate. You can't live completely in the present obviously because you have to plan things, set goals etc, but most of our thinking about the future is useless worrying.

It's also about appreciating things more eg if you're in the car stuck in traffic, instead of thinking "I have to get to this place!" you focus on the music on the radio or how warm you are. Or instead of rushing meals you focus on how good it tastes. It's like "stop and smell the roses" kind of thing.

:)