PDA

View Full Version : normal?

aclockworkrystn
04-14-2015, 07:26 PM
I have been taking .25mg clonazepam for about 5 months and recently have decided its time to stop. I never intended taking it longterm and I don't feel like it's helping anymore. Anyway, I saw my psych and he said I could safely just stop without any serious consequences but I could taper also if I wanted to. Anyway, so I took .125mg yesterday and the day before and nothing today. I feel mostly okay except I just feel kind of detached/confused/spacey The past few days...just not all there, emotionally or ofherwise. is this normal to happen coming off a benzo? How long can I expect this to last? It's a very uncomfortable feeling and is starting to give me anxiety (of course. . Why not!) Hoping someone can offer me some peace of mind or share their own experience. Too afraid to google.

jessed03
04-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Increased anxiety/depression is really common when coming off of any kind of psychiatric drug. It usually doesn't last too long, often 2 weeks max after each dose change.

That is, unless your anxiety disorder is now breaking through, seeing as there's less of the drug to keep it in check. If that's the case, you may find you keep deteriorating until you find some kind of baseline.

There's no real way to know yet whether that's the case or whether it's just innocent withdrawal symptoms.

gypsylee
04-14-2015, 08:06 PM
I have been taking .25mg clonazepam for about 5 months and recently have decided its time to stop. I never intended taking it longterm and I don't feel like it's helping anymore. Anyway, I saw my psych and he said I could safely just stop without any serious consequences but I could taper also if I wanted to. Anyway, so I took .125mg yesterday and the day before and nothing today. I feel mostly okay except I just feel kind of detached/confused/spacey The past few days...just not all there, emotionally or ofherwise. is this normal to happen coming off a benzo? How long can I expect this to last? It's a very uncomfortable feeling and is starting to give me anxiety (of course. . Why not!) Hoping someone can offer me some peace of mind or share their own experience. Too afraid to google.

Yeah it's very normal. The thing is, there's a psychological component to all addiction, so even if the physical need is over, you'll psychologically miss the meds (or whatever it is). That's why quitting smoking is so difficult - the nicotine addiction is gone quite quickly but the psychological can last a lifetime.

I quit Valium cold turkey after years of taking it. I don't recommend this but it wasn't as hard as you might think. Definitely don't google benzo withdrawal because it will say things like "homocidal urges" lol. It freaked me out big time but in reality the worst I had was anxiety and insomnia for about a week.

So hang in there, sounds like you're doing great :)

neverag
04-16-2015, 09:45 AM
This all seems pretty normal. I agree with the others. Meds never worked for me and may have been partially responsible for my liver condition (most psychotropic meds are heavy on the liver!) My anxiety would plow through any drug within a few months, even the antipsychotics. They just made me more tired and had some side effects but I didn't really feel better. I ended up tapering off my lithium several months ago after my first manic episode and haven't been taking meds since. It's been ok.

aclockworkrystn
04-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Thank you for your responses. It's very comforting to know others have come off meds like this without terrible problems lol. Today is day 4 with no pill and I've still been feeling more or less fine although I have been waking up anxious in the morning. It's usually not horrible, I've definitely experienced much worse anxiety before
And to be honest I expected to feel some kick back anxiety.

jessed03
04-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Well that sounds a lot more promising than your last post. What's your withdrawal plan like, when will you be completely off?

aclockworkrystn
04-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Well that sounds a lot more promising than your last post. What's your withdrawal plan like, when will you be completely off?

I have been completely off it for 4 days. Well, today is 4th day and it's noon where I am. I had a pretty anxious morning complete with panic attack about an hour and a half ago :/ not sure how long it'll be until the clonazepam is completely out of my system.

aclockworkrystn
04-17-2015, 01:48 PM
well, that didn't last long. Broke down and took .125mg about half hour ago. Don't know if I was having some sort of withdrawal or what but I haven't been able to get ahold of myself all day. Horrible Waves of nausea and anxiety. Also felt extremely depressed. Ended up calling my mom and she is coming to pick me and my daughter up. Probably wont be here for an hour or so. Feeling so scared right now. I dont seem to be calming down at all. I guess I have to wean off this very gradually after all. I'm so scared