PDA

View Full Version : Natural remedies please

BrookeLynnnn
04-13-2015, 11:21 AM
A friend of mine is suffering from anxiety & panic attacks since a car accident. She doesn't want to take meds & she won't go to therapy..

So what do you guys recommend for the natural stuff? I know magnesium for sure. There's also a tea I've heard about but I can't remember the name.. Is it Passion flower tea? Lol I have no idea.

Kuma
04-13-2015, 11:47 AM
A friend of mine is suffering from anxiety & panic attacks since a car accident. She doesn't want to take meds & she won't go to therapy..

So what do you guys recommend for the natural stuff? I know magnesium for sure. There's also a tea I've heard about but I can't remember the name.. Is it Passion flower tea? Lol I have no idea.

I have used Passion Flower tea. Although I make it a practice not to recommend medications or supplements to other people, I personally have found Passion Flower tea to have a mild calming effect.

I would encourage your friend to talk with a doctor about any supplements or "natural" remedies she proposes to take, before doing so.

Sometimes people think there can be no harm in taking something that is OTC or is called "natural" -- but there can be harms, as well as potential benefits. So it is good to get some medical advice.

BrookeLynnnn
04-13-2015, 12:00 PM
I have used Passion Flower tea. Although I make it a practice not to recommend medications or supplements to other people, I personally have found Passion Flower tea to have a mild calming effect.

I would encourage your friend to talk with a doctor about any supplements or "natural" remedies she proposes to take, before doing so.

Sometimes people think there can be no harm in taking something that is OTC or is called "natural" -- but there can be harms, as well as potential benefits. So it is good to get some medical advice.

She won't go to the doctor. She has no insurance. But thank you

raggamuffin
04-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Work on the mind me thinks. Tell her to Google "Changing Core Beliefs". See if she can do some digging as to what false beliefs the accident has caused and is now making her feel so horrific. Anxiety is a tool to allow us to address problems we have and change them - it helps us change for the better. Medications or herbal remedies might sooth certain symptoms, they won't cure the root of the problem.

Ed

jessed03
04-13-2015, 12:10 PM
Passionflower tea, limeflower tea, camomile tea, they're all associated with relaxation. They're ok to take unless you're pregnant or have a heart disorder.

I think mental work will be a lot more important though, especially if she has some form of PTSD. The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook will be helpful for her. Cheap on Amazon, and has a big section on traumatic stress disorders, including worksheets and chapters on breathing exercises and thinking habits. I think it's only 10 bucks too, which is a steal. That's going to be far more effective than taking magnesium or 5HTP, in my opinion. :)

BrookeLynnnn
04-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Thank you everyone! Right now she's not into the "digging deep." This anxiety is all new to her. We all remember how we felt when we first experienced it. I know I didn't want to read about it or figure out what was going on.

Kuma
04-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Thank you everyone! Right now she's not into the "digging deep." This anxiety is all new to her. We all remember how we felt when we first experienced it. I know I didn't want to read about it or figure out what was going on.

I think there were probably different reactions people had when they first experienced anxiety. For me, it was quite intense and I just wanted some relief NOW. I was the type who just needed a Xanax. Then I could move on and figure out what to do...

I do think it is much more complicated for someone who cannot afford therapy or medical care.

em1
04-13-2015, 06:41 PM
I found lavender bath oils and foam and also pillow and pulse sprays help,you can find them on eBay,also Camille tea is good and you can get some herbal medicine such as rescue remedy
Some people find it helps others it does not so much but we are all different

gypsylee
04-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Is wine considered a natural remedy? ;)

PanicCured
04-13-2015, 08:41 PM

Here's a post I wrote on some of the natural remedies I took that I think are helpful.

http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?14507-The-Definitive-Supplement-Regimen-to-Help-Cure-Your-Anxiety

Dahila
04-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Lemon balm, camomile, valerian root , passion flowers that just 4 of them. The list is probably 25 position long....

jessed03
04-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Is wine considered a natural remedy? ;)

No, just an aphrodisiac as far as I'm concerned. And a far better one too, than something like rhino horn, for example.

gypsylee
04-13-2015, 11:18 PM
No, just an aphrodisiac as far as I'm concerned. And a far better one too, than something like rhino horn, for example.

Pffff everyone knows it's a myth that rhino horn is an aphrodisiac.

nf1234
04-13-2015, 11:23 PM
Natural Calm magnesium, lemon balm, passion flower, gaba, theanine, taurine, glycine, just to name a few

Kuma
04-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Pffff everyone knows it's a myth that rhino horn is an aphrodisiac.

I think it probably is, but only for a rhino.

gypsylee
04-14-2015, 10:44 AM
I think it probably is, but only for a rhino.

Haha, true that :)