PDA

View Full Version : GAD or Hypomania

Felix Sky
04-08-2015, 03:21 PM
So I've had anxiety and very mild depression for about 20 years. I am 37 now
It's been more or less stable for the better part of 20 years, but last few years have been very stressful because of some family deaths and other issues
I went back into therapy. For now its just a psychiatrist and she put me on Zoloft. First 25 mg, then 50 mg, and now 100 mg
50 mg made me feel great and no major side effects. After going to 100 mg, I stared feeling pretty crappy with a number of side effects (its only been 5 days on 100 mg)
I called the doctor and she thinks I might have Hypomania. A very light version of Bi-Polar disorder
I am having a hard time understanding it. I've researched this a bit and while the general symptoms of Hypomania don't apply to me, there are some things that I've read and experience that point me in that direction.
The problem is that these "symptoms" of possible Hypomania could also be assigned to GAD.
I am convinced I have GAD, but she thinks I might also, or instead, be Bi-Polar.
I know I don't have Mania, but Hypomania is a lighter version is often harder to diagnose
if anyone has experience with this and can either clear this up for me or recommend where I can research this further, I would really appreciate it!

Goomba
04-08-2015, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure what you don't understand as you seem to have it down, but some general notes:

As far as I am aware...

Hypomania isn't separate from Bi Polar, it is a part of it. So, it seems your therapist is saying that they believe you are experiencing Bi Polar symptoms.

People who are Bi Polar fluctuate between two levels, manic and depressed. It's better to think of it as a high or low, as the manic part by no means implies you are crazy. It is just a period of very intense energy and impulsiveness.

Hypomania is a milder version of this.

In other words, your highs are not overly intense, but do show some degree of intensity and usually occur after a period of lows. Though it is not always an anxious experience, Hypomania, or really any level of Mania, can be related to anxiety.

The back and forth between highs and lows is what usually hints to Bi Polar.

gypsylee
04-08-2015, 07:53 PM
So I've had anxiety and very mild depression for about 20 years. I am 37 now
It's been more or less stable for the better part of 20 years, but last few years have been very stressful because of some family deaths and other issues
I went back into therapy. For now its just a psychiatrist and she put me on Zoloft. First 25 mg, then 50 mg, and now 100 mg
50 mg made me feel great and no major side effects. After going to 100 mg, I stared feeling pretty crappy with a number of side effects (its only been 5 days on 100 mg)
I called the doctor and she thinks I might have Hypomania. A very light version of Bi-Polar disorder
I am having a hard time understanding it. I've researched this a bit and while the general symptoms of Hypomania don't apply to me, there are some things that I've read and experience that point me in that direction.
The problem is that these "symptoms" of possible Hypomania could also be assigned to GAD.
I am convinced I have GAD, but she thinks I might also, or instead, be Bi-Polar.
I know I don't have Mania, but Hypomania is a lighter version is often harder to diagnose
if anyone has experience with this and can either clear this up for me or recommend where I can research this further, I would really appreciate it!

This is a bug bear of mine with psychiatry. My shrink spent ages wondering if I had Bipolar II.. He put me on meds for that including Seroquel, which in hindsight was a big mistake.

My personal opinion is that Bipolar II does not exist. I think it's one of those unnecessary classifications which they then medicate for and you end up on anti-psychotics for simple anxiety.

Obviously I'm not a professional but if I were you I'd be wary of the whole Bipolar thing and especially the meds.

Cheers,
Gypsy x

Goomba
04-08-2015, 08:03 PM
And I don't disagree with Gypsy.

I am also not a professional, but I studied to be one.

Then I got fed up with the system and decided to find other ways to help people heal.

Felix Sky
04-08-2015, 09:15 PM
I am just trying to understand why she would think that I have bi-polar. I talk a bit fast, but that's typical for me. I don't have most of these symptoms associated with bipolar disorder. This is why I am confused. I do feel kind of crappy since going to 100 mg of Zoloft. It could be the adjustment that my mind and body are going through or it could be related to hypomania. I too don't believe in bipolar 2 or Hypomania or whatever its called. I rarely feel depressed and I never have those moments of bliss and being on top of the world. My mind is one someone who is just always worried and cannot concentrate long enough to read a page of a book. I do have some mood swings, but nothing out of the ordinary!

gypsylee
04-08-2015, 09:27 PM
I am just trying to understand why she would think that I have bi-polar. I talk a bit fast, but that's typical for me. I don't have most of these symptoms associated with bipolar disorder. This is why I am confused. I do feel kind of crappy since going to 100 mg of Zoloft. It could be the adjustment that my mind and body are going through or it could be related to hypomania. I too don't believe in bipolar 2 or Hypomania or whatever its called. I rarely feel depressed and I never have those moments of bliss and being on top of the world. My mind is one someone who is just always worried and cannot concentrate long enough to read a page of a book. I do have some mood swings, but nothing out of the ordinary!

Yeah it'd be Bipolar II she's talking about I assume. Full Bipolar is a psychotic disorder and a whole different kettle of fish. I just felt like my shrink wanted to try different meds basically so came up with the Hypomania idea. I was sceptical but I'm one to try new meds so I did, but looking back they were not what I needed at all. SSRIs have worked well for me - it was the alcohol and lifestyle that was the problem, not some theoretical disorder. I don't blame the shrink because I wasn't a very conscientious patient but in hindsight I can see the whole thing more clearly.