PDA

View Full Version : Newly diagnosed with anxiety but would really like people's opinions!

djmcgrath
04-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Hello all,

I'm a first time poster in here do please be gentle! I've recently been diagnosed by the doctor as having anxiety and while I do agree, a bit of me still believes it might be something else and I'd really like to get people's thoughts on my symptoms, and whether it's typical of anxiety, and anyone's experiences of something similar.

This post may be long and full of useless information but I don't know what's relevant and what's not.

I'm a 30 year old male, recently married with a 18 month old daughter. Up until I was 16, I was absolutely fine. When I got to 16, I started getting stomach symptoms, nauseous all the time. I went for a lot of tests but the doctors never found anything wrong. The nausea hardly ever actually turned into being sick, but I was definitely anxious of being sick, especially in embarrassing situations such as in school, or on planes or as a passenger in a car. I avoided social situations and avoided anything that could make me ill. I don't eat sushi, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke or do drugs, overcook chicken, don't eat anything on the expiry date, etc.

The nausea/anxiety went on for a few years then for some reason, slowly got better and then pretty much disappeared by the time I got to 25. I still didn't do some things, and still felt anxious of being ill in certain social situations but generally it was much improved. I'm not sure why.

Around 27, I started getting pains in my chest, pretty much in my right hand side armpit and right nipple area. It was a dull ache like a pulled muscle but occasionally hurt to the point of taking my breath away. I had an EKG and it was normal. Doctors diagnosed a pulled muscle. I disagreed, as it had been hurting for around 9 months by this point. Obviously, I immediately jumped to thinking it was a heart problem. Over time, it slowly got better but never totally disappeared.

That history brings me to my current position.

Starting about 6 months ago, ironically at a time when my health was pretty much at its best ever, I started getting bouts of light headedness, occasionally so severe it feels like the room is spinning, whether I am standing or lying down. It's a feeling similar to when you get a rush from standing up too quick. My legs feel a little unsteady but I've never fallen over or fainted. I get scared by this, because I don't know the cause or what to do about it. I can't escape or run away from my own head!

Together with the light headedness, I get a "rush" feeling, and my heartbeat seems to increase. I'm not sure if it actually does but it either does or I become aware of my heart to the point where I put my hand on my chest to feel it, to reassure myself. I get a scared feeling, a feeling of wanting to leave the house and go outside for some reason. Maybe so other people don't see me feel ill, or maybe because I just want to try and run away from it somehow!

I think I am scared of a heart attack but I'm not really sure. I don't think I'm scared of dying. I am not consciously anxious of anything - work is absolutely fine, we have a very easy child who doesn't cry and is easy to deal with, there's no money worries, and I have no particular stresses in my life I can think of. I don't know where anxiety could have come from.

I have had two family members die over the last 15 years - my father was an alcoholic and died from liver problems when I was 18 and my uncle died a few years ago from bowel cancer. I don't think they are relevant to my health anxiety but I don't know.

The other symptoms I get are:
- sudden tiredness - I could go asleep at 5pm which is new for me.
- bouts of very big deep yawns, about 10+ yawns in very quick succession and making my eyes water
- lack of patience, pretty quick to get frustrated and snap at people
- feeling of being on edge, and sometimes I have to consciously make my body relax
- occasional headaches that feel like tired or tension headaches
- slight spaced out feeling sometimes, takes me like 1 second to focus
- I seem to have noticed my throat tightening sometimes which makes me feel slightly nauseous.

I don't really have problems with sleeping and the times I've taken my blood pressure, it's been around 125/75 which I think is normal. My pulse is around 55 normally but can go up to around 100 when I'm feeling anxious and become aware of my heartbeat. My breathing is pretty much fine, I've never had difficulties.

I have a habit of looking things up on the internet and atrial fibrillation seems to match my symptoms. My doctor has prescribed some mild betablockers but I haven't taken any. I think tablets are a last resort. I'm trying CBT first. I'd like to have a 24hr EKG test or a thyroid test but now the doctors have diagnosed anxiety, I feel like I can't go back and ask for other stuff.

Do my symptoms sound like anxiety? I'd be super interested in people's thoughts or opinions. Mainly for reassurance for myself but also to see if others have ever felt the same and whether they have found any solutions.

I get many of the symptoms all day, rather than in "attack" bursts. That's why I didn't think "anxiety attack" fit. It doesn't feel like an attack, it's always around and sometimes increases in intensity. I can feel it building, it never really just hits like the word attack makes it sound as if it should.

My other problem is that there doesn't appear to be a trigger. I get anxious over social situations that I can't escape from such as planes and family meals etc but sometimes, I'll have a few days on holiday, totally relaxing situation, nothing going on and I'll suddenly feel anxious over nothing in particular. I don't know how to avoid my triggers because I don't seem to have any!

Thanks in advance

Kuma
04-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Hello and welcome. Of course, I am not in any position to "diagnose" you since I am not a doctor and I have never even met you. But, having said that, a lot of the things you said you are experiencing are consistent with anxiety. And many of us on this Board have experienced some, or perhaps all, of these things.

One frustration with anxiety is there is no definitive way to diagnose it. No blood test or scan or whatever. So all you can really say is if someone is experiencing symptoms of anxiety -- and there is no other apparent explanation for those symptoms -- then the person is probably experiencing anxiety.

Now if you read DSM-V, there are more specific criteria for a diagnosis of anxiety -- and there are various different types of anxiety that can be diagnosed. But I am just talking as a general matter.

You mentioned beta blockers that were prescribed for you for reasons other than anxiety. You should be aware that beta blockers are also sometimes prescribed for anxiety -- or really, more accurately, for certain symptoms of anxiety. So they might, in your case, serve more than one purpose.

You also mentioned CBT. That is a great idea. Of course, it does not work for everyone. Nothing does. But it has a good track record. It does take a bit of effort. It's definitely not a spectator sport. (I have done it). But if you are willing to put in the effort, and do your homework, it can be very worthwhile. Another advantage is it tends to be short term.

Best wishes. If you stick around here, you will probably get some good advice. And you may even be able to use your experience to help others.

With an 18 month old daughter, you certainly have a big incentive to address your own concerns, so you can be there for her.

MarkingProgress
04-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Hello djmcgrath,

Thank you for the detailed post. I have to echo what Kuma said above, it does sound like symptoms of anxiety. I can't give you as detailed a reply as Kuma has as. However, I could be completely wrong here, the overall tone of your post came across as very anxious. What I mean by that is the sheer volume of detail you went into to explain your symptoms and the specificity reminded me of the kind of language I used and the specificity I used to use to make sure I was crystal clear when communicating with someone. If I had someone tell me back then I was being anxious, I would've laughed in their face. It's only now that I can look back and see how anxious I was and how it showed itself in my communication.

You also mentioned irritability. A huge planet sized light bulb went off over my head when my therapist said to me "irritability and frustrations are anxiety in another form." It took me weeks to really come to terms with this. I thought it was BS at first, until I started looking at myself and how I felt when I was irritated.

The final thing I'll say is that in my situation it's my belief (I say belief because no one can tell me what's wrong with me or why I'm suddenly having these issues) is that I was an anxious person all my life and my body finally decided to stop taking on the stress I was putting on myself. I went from being fine, to feeling like a wreck in a the space of 24 hours. I genuinely feel that my body just decided enough was enough, but anxiety was the cause.

My own journey to improvement started with therapy. It's not a linear path and you have to put in a lot of work yourself to see the benefits. It's also vital that you find a therapist that works for your personality. Don't feel that you're stuck with whichever therapist you see first. But I don't think I'd be on the path I'm on now without the therapy I've gone through.

I hope what I have said has helped. If not, I apologise to you for wasting your time. I wish you well on your journey to recovery.

Thanks for listening,

M

PanicCured
04-10-2015, 01:55 AM
Hello all,

I'm a first time poster in here do please be gentle! I've recently been diagnosed by the doctor as having anxiety and while I do agree, a bit of me still believes it might be something else and I'd really like to get people's thoughts on my symptoms, and whether it's typical of anxiety, and anyone's experiences of something similar.

This post may be long and full of useless information but I don't know what's relevant and what's not.

I'm a 30 year old male, recently married with a 18 month old daughter. Up until I was 16, I was absolutely fine. When I got to 16, I started getting stomach symptoms, nauseous all the time. I went for a lot of tests but the doctors never found anything wrong. The nausea hardly ever actually turned into being sick, but I was definitely anxious of being sick, especially in embarrassing situations such as in school, or on planes or as a passenger in a car. I avoided social situations and avoided anything that could make me ill. I don't eat sushi, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke or do drugs, overcook chicken, don't eat anything on the expiry date, etc.

The nausea/anxiety went on for a few years then for some reason, slowly got better and then pretty much disappeared by the time I got to 25. I still didn't do some things, and still felt anxious of being ill in certain social situations but generally it was much improved. I'm not sure why.

Around 27, I started getting pains in my chest, pretty much in my right hand side armpit and right nipple area. It was a dull ache like a pulled muscle but occasionally hurt to the point of taking my breath away. I had an EKG and it was normal. Doctors diagnosed a pulled muscle. I disagreed, as it had been hurting for around 9 months by this point. Obviously, I immediately jumped to thinking it was a heart problem. Over time, it slowly got better but never totally disappeared.

That history brings me to my current position.

Starting about 6 months ago, ironically at a time when my health was pretty much at its best ever, I started getting bouts of light headedness, occasionally so severe it feels like the room is spinning, whether I am standing or lying down. It's a feeling similar to when you get a rush from standing up too quick. My legs feel a little unsteady but I've never fallen over or fainted. I get scared by this, because I don't know the cause or what to do about it. I can't escape or run away from my own head!

Together with the light headedness, I get a "rush" feeling, and my heartbeat seems to increase. I'm not sure if it actually does but it either does or I become aware of my heart to the point where I put my hand on my chest to feel it, to reassure myself. I get a scared feeling, a feeling of wanting to leave the house and go outside for some reason. Maybe so other people don't see me feel ill, or maybe because I just want to try and run away from it somehow!

I think I am scared of a heart attack but I'm not really sure. I don't think I'm scared of dying. I am not consciously anxious of anything - work is absolutely fine, we have a very easy child who doesn't cry and is easy to deal with, there's no money worries, and I have no particular stresses in my life I can think of. I don't know where anxiety could have come from.

I have had two family members die over the last 15 years - my father was an alcoholic and died from liver problems when I was 18 and my uncle died a few years ago from bowel cancer. I don't think they are relevant to my health anxiety but I don't know.

The other symptoms I get are:
- sudden tiredness - I could go asleep at 5pm which is new for me.
- bouts of very big deep yawns, about 10+ yawns in very quick succession and making my eyes water
- lack of patience, pretty quick to get frustrated and snap at people
- feeling of being on edge, and sometimes I have to consciously make my body relax
- occasional headaches that feel like tired or tension headaches
- slight spaced out feeling sometimes, takes me like 1 second to focus
- I seem to have noticed my throat tightening sometimes which makes me feel slightly nauseous.

I don't really have problems with sleeping and the times I've taken my blood pressure, it's been around 125/75 which I think is normal. My pulse is around 55 normally but can go up to around 100 when I'm feeling anxious and become aware of my heartbeat. My breathing is pretty much fine, I've never had difficulties.

I have a habit of looking things up on the internet and atrial fibrillation seems to match my symptoms. My doctor has prescribed some mild betablockers but I haven't taken any. I think tablets are a last resort. I'm trying CBT first. I'd like to have a 24hr EKG test or a thyroid test but now the doctors have diagnosed anxiety, I feel like I can't go back and ask for other stuff.

Do my symptoms sound like anxiety? I'd be super interested in people's thoughts or opinions. Mainly for reassurance for myself but also to see if others have ever felt the same and whether they have found any solutions.

I get many of the symptoms all day, rather than in "attack" bursts. That's why I didn't think "anxiety attack" fit. It doesn't feel like an attack, it's always around and sometimes increases in intensity. I can feel it building, it never really just hits like the word attack makes it sound as if it should.

My other problem is that there doesn't appear to be a trigger. I get anxious over social situations that I can't escape from such as planes and family meals etc but sometimes, I'll have a few days on holiday, totally relaxing situation, nothing going on and I'll suddenly feel anxious over nothing in particular. I don't know how to avoid my triggers because I don't seem to have any!

Thanks in advance

What I would do if I were you is get the full on medical check up, because they are good to have anyway. If you think you have a heart issue get the echocardiogram ultrasound, maybe Holter if the Cardiologist thinks you should, and the full Cardiologist workup which is also a good thing everyone should do. Then if you are diagnosed with anxiety than accept it! But I know you won't. You will stay up all night that the doctor missed something.

Remember this, "anxiety" does not mean "imaginary". This confuses people. Anxiety is a condition that involves an over sensitive nervous system and bad habits that are creating a vicious cycle. There are drugs to treat the symptoms but there is most likely no drug to fix you unless you have something officially wrong like Thyroid or something. Doctors do not have a cure for the general anxiety disorder. They give you drugs to suppress it. It can be useful for certain people at certain times, can be dangerous for some, but drugs or no drugs, you still need to heal this by yourself. The way to get past anxiety is to continue on a process of long term healing and you certainly can get there. It will take initiative on your part and you need to have the will to get better, not just manage anxiety, but actually get past it.

It's too much to write here, but I wrote my journey how I went form extreme anxiety disorder to 100% anxiety disorder free. Please read how I did it, and than use it as inspiration for yourself to create your own healing path.

Here it is. Good luck: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?8633-Techniques-I-Used-to-Overcome-My-Panic-Anxiety-Disorder

djmcgrath
04-10-2015, 03:35 PM
I want to thank everyone above for their comments. It's great being listened to, and having people with experience let me know their thoughts.

I was anxious when I wrote that, apologies for the long detail, but I wanted to include everything in case there was something that someone picked up on as being highly significant.

However, I think my entire problem at the moment can be summarised in a really short paragraph:

I'm reasonably sure I have some form of anxiety. However, I'm worried that I'm not able to fully commit mentally to therapy/CBT/whatever to help me take the first step because I don't believe 100% that it is anxiety. My rationale for this is because I can't figure out what my trigger is. I don't know what I'm anxious about. I only start to worry and overstress once symptoms have taken hold, but I don't know what causes the symptoms to appear when they do. I've had my own wedding recently, and I've had plenty of work presentations and important social events, and I'm felt absolutely fine. Not anxious at all. However, I could be relaxing in a hotel with my wife, nothing on my mind, just watching tele, and suddenly, I'll get a fast heartbeat and clammy, and then I'll get anxious wondering what it is, and it escalates from there.

I could go through an entire day perfectly happy, not thinking any negative thoughts at all, when suddenly I'll get pains or a weird sensation, or a slightly dizziness, and I'll panic about that. I know I shouldn't panic, and that is obviously something I need to manage and control. However, my logic is unfortunately still at the stage when I'm thinking "in the absence of obvious anxiety triggers, maybe it's a legit physical problem, maybe some weird comes-and-goes heart defect".

I've been reading some Mindfulness books, and there's a lot of good stuff in there, but some of the starting chapters assume you know why you're anxious. It has case studies of people that avoid motorways because large trucks scare them, or avoid work presentations, or exams, or supermarkets, or large crowds, or looking after children, or losing loved ones, etc. None of that really relates to me. Off the top of my head, all of the usual anxious situations don't bother me in the slightest. I have no idea what causes or triggers my anxiety.

Does anyone else have experience or thoughts about that? Is the cause of the anxiety always known, or do some people struggle to identify it?

gypsylee
04-10-2015, 07:29 PM
I want to thank everyone above for their comments. It's great being listened to, and having people with experience let me know their thoughts.

I was anxious when I wrote that, apologies for the long detail, but I wanted to include everything in case there was something that someone picked up on as being highly significant.

However, I think my entire problem at the moment can be summarised in a really short paragraph:

I'm reasonably sure I have some form of anxiety. However, I'm worried that I'm not able to fully commit mentally to therapy/CBT/whatever to help me take the first step because I don't believe 100% that it is anxiety. My rationale for this is because I can't figure out what my trigger is. I don't know what I'm anxious about. I only start to worry and overstress once symptoms have taken hold, but I don't know what causes the symptoms to appear when they do. I've had my own wedding recently, and I've had plenty of work presentations and important social events, and I'm felt absolutely fine. Not anxious at all. However, I could be relaxing in a hotel with my wife, nothing on my mind, just watching tele, and suddenly, I'll get a fast heartbeat and clammy, and then I'll get anxious wondering what it is, and it escalates from there.

I could go through an entire day perfectly happy, not thinking any negative thoughts at all, when suddenly I'll get pains or a weird sensation, or a slightly dizziness, and I'll panic about that. I know I shouldn't panic, and that is obviously something I need to manage and control. However, my logic is unfortunately still at the stage when I'm thinking "in the absence of obvious anxiety triggers, maybe it's a legit physical problem, maybe some weird comes-and-goes heart defect".

I've been reading some Mindfulness books, and there's a lot of good stuff in there, but some of the starting chapters assume you know why you're anxious. It has case studies of people that avoid motorways because large trucks scare them, or avoid work presentations, or exams, or supermarkets, or large crowds, or looking after children, or losing loved ones, etc. None of that really relates to me. Off the top of my head, all of the usual anxious situations don't bother me in the slightest. I have no idea what causes or triggers my anxiety.

Does anyone else have experience or thoughts about that? Is the cause of the anxiety always known, or do some people struggle to identify it?

The thing is, a lot of anxiety is subconscious, so I think it's very common not to know what causes or triggers it. I can be lying in bed at night and realise my heart is racing and I'm not even thinking anything in particular or had any stress that day. Not only is it subconscious, it can build up and surface later. All sorts of things go on beneath our conscious awareness - just take a look at some of your dreams. Anxiety is a tricky beast!

:)

ganglia
04-12-2015, 05:03 PM
I get really anxious when i see so long posts and don't read them at all but noticed the sushi word...

What's the problem with eating sushi?

Dahila
04-12-2015, 07:10 PM
I get really anxious when i see so long posts and don't read them at all but noticed the sushi word...

What's the problem with eating sushi?
Internet and a lot of wrong information is the problem not sushi ; which I love :)
I also have problem to read such detailed stories 4 pages long. Someone accused me here of being no compassionate enough. I think we have so much *** in our life, every day, that such long posts, the stories just make us mad. I would prefer two paragraphs. gangli some people write and calm down, we do not have to read every word in long post. For some writing is like a therapy:))
Let them do it.

OP are you trying to tell us that doc put you on beta blockers without the need for it?
You should get a check up and eventually been seen by cardiologist. Anxiety will cause irregular and fast heartbeat but not all the time, only when there is excess of adrenaline. Oh I am sorry I went back to your post and you had a lot of tests. No one will convince you , you are ok, You need therapy and maybe meds.

PanicCured
04-12-2015, 08:57 PM

So are you here to just vent your frustrations or are you looking for advice? Have you considered or implemented anyone's advice here that was given to you? All I am seeing is you talking without any listening. So you gave us your life story, people took time out of their day to try and help you, yet I don't see anywhere where you even considered anything. This is a like a monologue. I really wish there would be a symbol next to a post that would let me know if this person is seeking help or just wanting to talk, so I would know who to respond to.

gypsylee
04-12-2015, 09:39 PM
So are you here to just vent your frustrations or are you looking for advice? Have you considered or implemented anyone's advice here that was given to you? All I am seeing is you talking without any listening. So you gave us your life story, people took time out of their day to try and help you, yet I don't see anywhere where you even considered anything. This is a like a monologue. I really wish there would be a symbol next to a post that would let me know if this person is seeking help or just wanting to talk, so I would know who to respond to.

The guy thanked everyone and showed appreciation for the replies. What exactly do you want people to say, PC?

PanicCured
04-13-2015, 01:27 AM
The guy thanked everyone and showed appreciation for the replies. What exactly do you want people to say, PC?

He said thanks then just kept explaining his situation more with no signs that he took in anything people mentioned. Maybe he did but just didn't show it. But I expect people to acknowledge some of the ideas people give them like in a dialogue. If I asked for advice, and you gave me some, I would respond to the details of what you said to me. I just wish I was able to know if someone was just venting or was really asking for help. I usually only try and respond to people with a genuine desire for help, and when they are given advice, take it in. That's just me I guess.

Dahila
04-13-2015, 07:12 AM
PC I do not like posts that I suspect venting, but one must do this from time to time. I know it helps people to talk about themselves. Let them be. I thought about this thread and she/he is asking for help, just a bit different way of communicating. Hopefully some of the advice will be used. We are here to support each other and help ourselves:))) Have a wonderful day folks :)

Kuma
04-13-2015, 07:53 AM
He said thanks then just kept explaining his situation more with no signs that he took in anything people mentioned. Maybe he did but just didn't show it. But I expect people to acknowledge some of the ideas people give them like in a dialogue. If I asked for advice, and you gave me some, I would respond to the details of what you said to me. I just wish I was able to know if someone was just venting or was really asking for help. I usually only try and respond to people with a genuine desire for help, and when they are given advice, take it in. That's just me I guess.

Panic Cured: I don't understand why, when someone comes here and asks for help, and some of us offer suggestions, and the OP then expresses appreciation, you need to show such hostility -- just because you don't like the way the OP responded. Guess what? The OP is entitled to respond however she/he wants -- and it does not matter even a little bit whether the response pleases you or does not please you. I am very confident that nobody here formulates their posts with the aim of "making Mr. Panic Cured feel happy and fulfilled." And if you do not want to respond to certain people because they do not meet your standard for being appreciative or following your advice, then that is fine. There are plenty of other people here who are willing to offer their advice without such high expectations (and most of that advice is at least as helpful as your advice is).

PanicCured
04-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Panic Cured: I don't understand why, when someone comes here and asks for help, and some of us offer suggestions, and the OP then expresses appreciation, you need to show such hostility

I already answered you in what you quoted above.

gypsylee
04-13-2015, 11:38 PM
PC, you could just give people the link to your stickies if you don't want to waste time :)