PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and falling asleep

Lilliebelle89
03-31-2015, 04:57 PM
I always have trouble falling asleep. Like always. I miss the time when I was younger and care free and fell asleep laying there daydreaming. Nowadays I am awake until at least 1am every night and I have to go to work every morning. Does anyone else get this? I lay down and thoughts race through my head so I either end up reading or coming on here. I'm tired but over tired so don't even feel sleepy at night. X

Kuma
03-31-2015, 07:12 PM
I always have trouble falling asleep. Like always. I miss the time when I was younger and care free and fell asleep laying there daydreaming. Nowadays I am awake until at least 1am every night and I have to go to work every morning. Does anyone else get this? I lay down and thoughts race through my head so I either end up reading or coming on here. I'm tired but over tired so don't even feel sleepy at night. X

Yea - lots of us, unfortunately, have trouble falling asleep -- esp those of us who are not longer so "young and care free". Google "sleep hygiene" and you will get some good suggestions. Some people also find some kinds of tea (like chamomile or passionflower) helpful. There are also some OTC and prescription meds that can help, although i personally would do that only when really needed and not every night. I take meds to sleep maybe 10 times per year. Only when really needed.

sae
03-31-2015, 11:03 PM
Sleep is of the devil. Originally I abstained from sleep simply because I find it a waste of time. So many things I could be doing, reading, learning... I was perfectly content with three days awake, 14 hours asleep.
Everything changed after the heart attacks. Suddenly I was gripped with terror everytime my eyelids felt heavy. I was convinced I was going to die in my sleep if I wasn't awake and vigilant.
I haven't completely solved this issue, honestly, but I have found a few things that have worked for me. I have invested in a pair of Beats headphones, good, loud and noise cancelling. They are great for wearing in crowds and for falling asleep to. I plug in some music (my personal choices being Sigur Ros/Mogwai/Album Leaf simply because they are non intrusive, pleasant, repetitive and sometimes in a language I don't understand) and focus just on the sounds I am hearing.
Eventually the routine of just putting on the headphones and starting the playlist has a sort of Pavlov's Dog effect and I fall right to sleep most nights.