PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed with how my friends feel about me

IRE5695
03-29-2015, 07:59 PM
I have OCD as well as anxiety and lately I have been obsessing a lot over friendships. I have a couple "good" friends, not too many that I am particularly close to, though. I'm just really not the type of person who is comfortable in very close relationships, save family of course.
But lately I have been obsessing about my friends. I'm constantly worried I've done something to make them upset with me, or that they are irrationally mad at me for something and that I will loose them as friends. I get really nervous when someone doesn't respond to a text I send or if they seem to shy away from me at work for a day or something of that nature.
There's one friend in particular I seem to obsess over more than the others. Again, we aren't all that close, and it's not like I want her as a best friends or something. But she has this personality where she's not very forthcoming or chatty. She'll be nice to me and we'll talk at work, and then some days I can just tell she's having a stressful day and she tends to withdraw from me more. The thing is, I seem to have become a little obsessed with interacting with her and feeling like she likes me as friend.
Anyone else with OCD have trouble with friendships or obsessing about how people feel about you?

sae
03-31-2015, 01:12 AM
I go through periods of this. I am convinced I have offended, overstepped my boundaries, or hurt everyone close to me. I obsess and it gnawS at me. Whst did i do and how do i fix it? Finally I just assume there is nothing I can do to salvage the relationshipS I am convinced I have ruined and spend the next few months hiding, not returning calls and not answering the door.
I suppose a fortunate side effect of my behavior is that I have developed a quality over quantity of friendships. Those that have stuck by all of myobsessive then MIA moments pretty much know the game now and we pick up where we left off months earlier as if nothing happened.
I have learned with time that I cannot expect to control how others feel about me. It doesn't make it feel any better, but it does help all the same. Sometimes doing what feels the worst is the best course of action. If you worry someone is offended, give them space. Eventually you will know with certainty how they feel. If you still hear nothing about it, chances are it was never a big deal to begin with. OCD is nature's way of making mountainS out of molehills.