PDA

View Full Version : Constant sensitivity to light

MattS.
03-27-2015, 07:48 PM
I`m getting this constant light sensitivity and still can`t work out if it is part of my anxiety symptoms or not. I read that these kind of issues relating to the eyes should not last longer then an hour but I get it for most of the day and weeks or month in a row. I feel Ok when going to bed and when waking up during the night and even after getting up in the morning I feel nothing like I do for the rest of the day. Probably 30 minutes after getting up in the morning I start noticing again that I feel tense around my head and the problems with bright lights lick in again. They make me feel totally irritable and nervous. Get this burning from the back of my head into my arms down my spine and even my legs. I really can`t get my head around it that this might be caused by my anxiety and depression. Especially as this time round it`s more severe then ever before. Maybe because I never got any treatment for my anxiety in the last 15 years? Maybe it`s just getting out of hand close to a burn out?

Goomba
03-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Light sensitivity and other visual disturbances was my biggest physical symptom during my anxious days. Every day was a fun house.

Now that I am no longer in that period my vision has mostly returned to normal.

Still have some weird things, but nothing like I used to.

Had three different eye doctors take a look, and a brain MRI. Nothing crazy was found. I got glasses for an astigmatism and that's the last I saw them. Been a year and a half and vision has only improved - at least in terms of sensitivity, etc.

gypsylee
03-27-2015, 09:43 PM
I`m getting this constant light sensitivity and still can`t work out if it is part of my anxiety symptoms or not. I read that these kind of issues relating to the eyes should not last longer then an hour but I get it for most of the day and weeks or month in a row. I feel Ok when going to bed and when waking up during the night and even after getting up in the morning I feel nothing like I do for the rest of the day. Probably 30 minutes after getting up in the morning I start noticing again that I feel tense around my head and the problems with bright lights lick in again. They make me feel totally irritable and nervous. Get this burning from the back of my head into my arms down my spine and even my legs. I really can`t get my head around it that this might be caused by my anxiety and depression. Especially as this time round it`s more severe then ever before. Maybe because I never got any treatment for my anxiety in the last 15 years? Maybe it`s just getting out of hand close to a burn out?

Hi Matt,

I'm extremely sensitive to light and noise. An optometrist once told me my pupils actually dilate more than most people and he'd only ever seen that once before in his career. So technically I'm a vampire ;)

I wear sunglasses all the time (apart from night time) and need them in places like supermarkets where they use horrible fluorescent lighting. I don't know how anyone survives without sunglasses!

I think this is related to my general disposition which is introverted and sensitive to external stimuli. It gets worse with anxiety though.

Cheers,
Gypsy x

raggamuffin
03-27-2015, 11:46 PM
I've had this before and yes it's anxiety. You wouldn't wake up feeling fine then the symptoms start developing if it wasn't anxiety. I had sensitivity to light for months because I kept fretting about it being something non-anxiety related. It was on my mind constantly. I felt dizzy, headachy and just plain wrong when I was around lighting, especially fluorescent lights. it felt worst in shops and supermarkets where the buildings are literally flooded with such lighting.

But, as with any other symptom, it will pass. You need to stop dedicating so much time to fearing it and questioning that it's something non-anxiety related. It's the worrying and fretting that is prolonging the suffering. You have to let it go.

Ed

namaste87
03-28-2015, 03:18 PM
For me stress is a big trigger for sensivitiy to both light and sounds. I had a burned out for 2 years ago and still my acceptance for external impressions is low. I don't know if you've had stress problems but for me the best to do is give your brain rest! Lay down in a dark room (or with blind fold on) and a pair of earmuffs (not the fluffy ones - the ones for keeping sound out) for a while.

namaste87
03-28-2015, 03:21 PM
I feel tense around my head and the problems with bright lights lick in again. They make me feel totally irritable and nervous. Get this burning from the back of my head into my arms down my spine and even my legs. I really can`t get my head around it that this might be caused by my anxiety and depression.

I do think this sound a lot like anxety symptomes. You get scared cause of the eye-thing and then you get tensed and then you think these tensions have to have something to do with the eyes and then you get even more tensed and then you get the burning, wich kan be either "just" anxiety or feelings of tension too.

namaste87
03-28-2015, 03:22 PM
And I really think you should go see a doctor if you are scared of a burn out, too see if you really are or if you are not.

All my best wishes and good luck!