PDA

View Full Version : I Still Blame Myself

sae
03-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Before I get into my vent, emote, whatever this is going to turn into,just a fair warning. If you are troubled by reading about domestic abuse, profanity, suicide and drug abuse, you may want to skip over this one. It's tough to share, and I am sure even more tough to read.

Exactly 3 years ago to the day my husband went missing. Let's back this up a little first. We had a less than idyllic marriage. I allowed myself to be coralled into an abusive relationship and there I sat, deciding I was helpless to escape it. Believe me I tried, too, but that's another story for another day. On March the 15th, the day after our 10th anniversary, he returned from a 3 day crack binge. He was penniless, shirtless, wearing women's flipflops and sporting some fresh burn blisters on his lips. This was such a regular occurrence that such disappearances no longer fased me. He was coming down and angrier than a wet hornet about it. I went about my day as I normally did, brought the kid to school, went to my classes (since I had just a few months before had a massive heart attack and was still on medical leave I decided to dedicate the downtime to finally finishing my associates degree), and returned home to start dinner.
I remember the following exchange verbatim:
"I see you made it back."
"yeah, whatever."
"what would you like for dinner"
"How the fuck can you cook in this pigsty of a house"
"I am mopping the floors as soon as I take something out of the freezer"
"If you weren't wasting your time on that stupid school you would have more time to take care of the house."
This was the moment in which my mood shifted from passive to upset. I said nothing. A small part of me actually wanted to agree with this nonsense. Apparently silence was the wrong response for the moment. There was an altercation. I said nothing as he did exactly as he was prone to doing when he found he could not control his anger. Luckily he at least had enough snap not to leave any marks on my face. I suppose being on enough warfarin to drop a horse was good for something at least. By 3 pm I was alone again.
The thoughts of my recent near death surfaced. All medical evidence pointed to certain death in the near future. I didn't want to spend my last days doing this again. by 5 p.m. I packed my daughter's belongings and a few changes of clothes for myself and we checked into the local women's shelter. I was done.
The next day I went to Wednesday night service. I knelt at the altar and prayed for it all to stop.
March 22 I spent much of the day avoiding my mother in law's incessant calls. She called my cell, leaving voicemails, pleading that just "stop the dramatic foolishness and go back home." She cried, pleaded, even threatened to tell him about my cell phone (i was not permitted to have one, as per the husband, but I kept one anyway in case of emergencies.) I almost relented and went back home. Finally, the last message from her that night was to tell me he was missing. He told her he couldn't handle being alone so he was headed to her house to stay but he never arrived.
I called everyone that I knew to help look for him. I even went out the next few days, skipping classes and all, to search for him in all his usual places. On March 28th, I was headed into class to take the very first review class for my finals when I received a call from the pastor of my church demanding that I stop what I was doing and come to the church. I already knew, without explanation what had happened.
He was found behind a local church, wedged between the a/c condenser and the wall. He had met his end huffing freon. It was ruled an accident, but anyone who knew him knew it was his way of checking himself out.
I look back and wonder what was going through his mind those final hours, what made him make this final decision. I ca'tn place myself in his shoes, battling addiction, his family walking out on him, unable to cope with the world around him. To this day I don't regret my decision to leave yet I can't help but feel as though I was the direct cause for his decision. Where would he be if I had decided to come home instead. Where would I be. I am certain no matter what one of us would have died no matter which action was taken. Sometimes, while logic dictates I shouldn't, I still blame myself for all of it, that I saved myself at his expense. It's a low, dirty feeling. I left him to his own devices, prayed for the insanity to stop at whatever cost, and now I am alive and he is not.
I just had to unload it, share it, make it known the events of those days. I am simply tired of carrying around.

gypsylee
03-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Before I get into my vent, emote, whatever this is going to turn into,just a fair warning. If you are troubled by reading about domestic abuse, profanity, suicide and drug abuse, you may want to skip over this one. It's tough to share, and I am sure even more tough to read.

Exactly 3 years ago to the day my husband went missing. Let's back this up a little first. We had a less than idyllic marriage. I allowed myself to be coralled into an abusive relationship and there I sat, deciding I was helpless to escape it. Believe me I tried, too, but that's another story for another day. On March the 15th, the day after our 10th anniversary, he returned from a 3 day crack binge. He was penniless, shirtless, wearing women's flipflops and sporting some fresh burn blisters on his lips. This was such a regular occurrence that such disappearances no longer fased me. He was coming down and angrier than a wet hornet about it. I went about my day as I normally did, brought the kid to school, went to my classes (since I had just a few months before had a massive heart attack and was still on medical leave I decided to dedicate the downtime to finally finishing my associates degree), and returned home to start dinner.
I remember the following exchange verbatim:
"I see you made it back."
"yeah, whatever."
"what would you like for dinner"
"How the fuck can you cook in this pigsty of a house"
"I am mopping the floors as soon as I take something out of the freezer"
"If you weren't wasting your time on that stupid school you would have more time to take care of the house."
This was the moment in which my mood shifted from passive to upset. I said nothing. A small part of me actually wanted to agree with this nonsense. Apparently silence was the wrong response for the moment. There was an altercation. I said nothing as he did exactly as he was prone to doing when he found he could not control his anger. Luckily he at least had enough snap not to leave any marks on my face. I suppose being on enough warfarin to drop a horse was good for something at least. By 3 pm I was alone again.
The thoughts of my recent near death surfaced. All medical evidence pointed to certain death in the near future. I didn't want to spend my last days doing this again. by 5 p.m. I packed my daughter's belongings and a few changes of clothes for myself and we checked into the local women's shelter. I was done.
The next day I went to Wednesday night service. I knelt at the altar and prayed for it all to stop.
March 22 I spent much of the day avoiding my mother in law's incessant calls. She called my cell, leaving voicemails, pleading that just "stop the dramatic foolishness and go back home." She cried, pleaded, even threatened to tell him about my cell phone (i was not permitted to have one, as per the husband, but I kept one anyway in case of emergencies.) I almost relented and went back home. Finally, the last message from her that night was to tell me he was missing. He told her he couldn't handle being alone so he was headed to her house to stay but he never arrived.
I called everyone that I knew to help look for him. I even went out the next few days, skipping classes and all, to search for him in all his usual places. On March 28th, I was headed into class to take the very first review class for my finals when I received a call from the pastor of my church demanding that I stop what I was doing and come to the church. I already knew, without explanation what had happened.
He was found behind a local church, wedged between the a/c condenser and the wall. He had met his end huffing freon. It was ruled an accident, but anyone who knew him knew it was his way of checking himself out.
I look back and wonder what was going through his mind those final hours, what made him make this final decision. I ca'tn place myself in his shoes, battling addiction, his family walking out on him, unable to cope with the world around him. To this day I don't regret my decision to leave yet I can't help but feel as though I was the direct cause for his decision. Where would he be if I had decided to come home instead. Where would I be. I am certain no matter what one of us would have died no matter which action was taken. Sometimes, while logic dictates I shouldn't, I still blame myself for all of it, that I saved myself at his expense. It's a low, dirty feeling. I left him to his own devices, prayed for the insanity to stop at whatever cost, and now I am alive and he is not.
I just had to unload it, share it, make it known the events of those days. I am simply tired of carrying around.

Hi Sae,

Geez that's a pretty nasty story. I had to google "huffing" and "freon" though I had an idea what it meant.

By the sound of that and a "3 day crack binge" this guy probably would've self-destructed sooner or later, regardless of what happened with you. So I don't think you should blame yourself. It doesn't sound like this story was ever going to have a happy ending. At least you and your daughter are ok though (as ok as you can be?)

Take it easy,
Gypsy x

sae
03-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Thanks :) We are far more than okay. That perhaps is the most terrible truth in all of this. Our lives are mostly without stress (excluding the fact I'm a spazz and she is a teenager.. ugh). Very slowly we have allowed someone to be a big part of our life, and we both now are blessed with weekend visions of what a functional, loving family does. He has been so damned amazing and supportive of all of my broken, sad, anxiety riddled bs that I often wonder if I really did die afterall. None of this would have been possible if my husband were still around.
Guilt is a pisser, makes a person look over her shoulder just to catch someone, something in a lie.

Goomba
03-23-2015, 01:37 AM
Just as you must take responsibility for your actions, others must own up to their own.

There is always a choice, and a decision to be made. His decisions are not your fault.

He had a lifetime time of perceptions, reactions, and thoughts before that happened. Those are what are at fault, if fault can be assigned.

He chose that path and the outcome was bound to happen. Anything could have been that final trigger, I don't believe it was unique to you. And, even if it were, once again, the final trigger is not to blame, but moreso the lifetime of experiences.

Do not embrace guilt. You made a choice to better your life. Own that decision, and enjoy it's rewards.

His life was his own.

UncleWibble
03-23-2015, 02:40 AM
I've been connected with people who will not be helped and who drags everyone down. In some cases, there is no real choice but to walk away. What they do is their decision.

Good luck

Kuma
03-23-2015, 08:30 AM
sae - the thing that really impresses me is you went through a really, really tough situation -- something most of us will never experience -- and now you seem to be doing well, moving on with your life, raising a teenager (believe me, I know that is not always amusing!), etc.

You know that what happened was not your fault. But at the same time you can't really expect it to not have any impact on you, and no thoughts of what could have been different, etc. That would be unrealistic. Anyone in your situation would have those thoughts. But I admire you because even with those thoughts, you can move on and meet your responsibilities and enjoy your life and raise your daughter and all that good stuff.

gypsylee
03-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Thanks :) We are far more than okay. That perhaps is the most terrible truth in all of this. Our lives are mostly without stress (excluding the fact I'm a spazz and she is a teenager.. ugh). Very slowly we have allowed someone to be a big part of our life, and we both now are blessed with weekend visions of what a functional, loving family does. He has been so damned amazing and supportive of all of my broken, sad, anxiety riddled bs that I often wonder if I really did die afterall. None of this would have been possible if my husband were still around.
Guilt is a pisser, makes a person look over her shoulder just to catch someone, something in a lie.

That's awesome. You know, in Australia a woman gets killed every week on average in domestic violence situations. It's an epidemic. So it's good to hear about someone who escaped.

I once heard "guilt is our most useless emotion". Obviously not if you've done something bad, but mostly we haven't.

Anyway all the best to you and your daughter (I have a teenage girl as well) :)