PDA

View Full Version : What do you believe is the cause of anxiety disorders?

Two One
03-21-2015, 01:50 PM
I've always found the cause of anxiety disorders to be one of the things that troubled me the most. So I'm curious as to what everybody on here thinks. I'm sure we all know about the classic chemical imbalance theory. I'm not sure I can buy into that seeing as how we have no accurate way of measuring neurotransmitter levels in the brain. If we had the technology that allowed us to do so what would be the "correct" levels of neurotransmitters anyway? Psychiatrists are quick to prescribe SSRIs and other antidepressants when they have no way of knowing a chemical imbalance is the problem. I do believe that neurotransmitters affect anxiety though, seeing as how benzodiazepines quickly and effectively relieve anxiety by enhancing the effect of GABA. There are many theories about the cause of anxiety disorders such as the infamous chemical imbalance theory, prolonged psychological stress, genetics, chronic illness, environmental factors, the circumstances in one's life... The list goes on. As I've said the reason I'm asking for everyone's opinion is because this has always been something that has bothered me.

In my opinion I think the cause can differ for different people. Up until this point I believed it was illness and prolonged stress from my life, school etc. that caused my anxiety to flare up back in 2013. However, when I began to look into repressed emotions as the cause of anxiety and depression I found it to be an interesting concept. And certainly one that could apply to me. As a result I've spent my last two therapy sessions delving into the past and my repressed emotions. I must say I've felt better in these last two therapy sessions than I have in three years. I've had such a considerable weight lifted off of my shoulders. My friends noticed the difference in me almost immediately, and was incredibly eager to tell them about everything I had found out through allowing myself to discover why those repressed emotions affected me to such a great extent. This is just something I wanted to share.

So what does everybody think?

raggamuffin
03-21-2015, 02:32 PM
I'd say stress and negative thinking. If you spend your days assuming the worst in life - is it any wonder you have anxiety or depression? Skewed and warped ways of thinking brought us here. Rationalizing and working on making ourself happier and healthier will bring us out of this rut.

Ed

Chauntecler
03-21-2015, 04:06 PM
I'd say stress and negative thinking. If you spend your days assuming the worst in life - is it any wonder you have anxiety or depression?

This pretty much sums it up. My anxiety and depression came from years of thinking "My life isn't going anywhere, I'm a failure, I'm not good at anything, I'll never find love, No one likes me" etc, etc.

Guywit2thumbs
03-21-2015, 06:57 PM
I agree. Since I was a kid I would always think of the worst possible outcome for a situation and then I'd convince myself that'd be the outcome. Eventually when tons of stress was incorporated with that I got crushed by anxiety

gypsylee
03-21-2015, 08:10 PM
I only have to observe my mother to know the cause for me lol. This woman lives her life in fear of every single thing and is completely unable to alter her way of thinking. For example, she has a doctor's appointment tomorrow and she is currently searching the house for a particular handbag and stressing out because she has to plan every tiny detail in her head. She sees doctors all the time because she's in her 70s with arthritis, but do you think that makes her any less anxious about going?

So I watch this woman and imagine her with a baby. That baby would've been born with anxiety and had it reinforced over and over that the world is a scary place. I've seen her with my own daughter and everything is a drama. Even my ex-husband (who isn't exactly sympathetic towards me) said he feels sorry for me growing up with that kind of neurosis.

So it's no mystery for me where anxiety comes from :)