PDA

View Full Version : how to stop intrusive thoughts?

blah27e
08-11-2008, 06:22 PM
does anyone know of a way to stop intrusive thoughts that worked for them?

aaronmaiden
08-11-2008, 07:27 PM
explain what you mean by intrusive thoughts...

tesla517
08-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi,

I have intrusive thoughts frequently, but it is getting better. I respond with a firm thought such as, "Enough!" Sometimes I'll say it out loud when I am alone, and an occasional expletive can help as well (just make sure no one else is around. :oops: I also laugh or smirk sarcastically at times... It's kinda the whole "healing power of laughter" thing. It may take a little time to adapt, but you'll get the hang of it. Just realize you control your thoughts and not the other way around.

KG... :)

Robbed
08-12-2008, 02:51 AM
does anyone know of a way to stop intrusive thoughts that worked for them?

Treatment of anxiety is a REALLY strange thing. So much of the time, it involves doing the exact OPPOSITE of what you think you SHOULD be doing. It is for THIS reason that so many people struggle with anxiety. And intrusive thoughts are no different. Trying to fight your intrusive thoughts just makes them stronger, since fighting them makes them important to the brain. But they get weaker when you stop fighting them. Simply accept your intrusive thoughts and allow them to exist. But at the same time, try not to react to them with fear AND try not to let them stop you from doing what you are doing. By doing this, these thoughts will matter less. And when this happens, they will go away with time. Just remember that (1) they will take some time to go away, and (2) they may come back from time to time as they go away.