PDA

View Full Version : feel like im dreaming

edren
08-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi
I've been having a few problems and i wondered whether somebody on here may be able to shed some light on it for me,
Ive been recovering from a long period of anxiety and depression. This was accompanied by some fairly severe paranoia, memory problems and for quiet a while felt like i had lost my mind. I became very withdrawn and stopped mixing with people and have spent most of the last two or three years at home in my bedroom.
The problem im having now as i begin to get better is my mind feels as though it has shut down, as if i am living inside a bubble and i cant break free. I feel as though i'm partly dreaming and trying to properly wake up. i am having some periods when i feel properly awake and lucid now but was wondering if anybody understands how im feeling and if there is a proper explantion for it.
Any answers would be greatly appreciated

Tae
08-13-2008, 08:27 PM
I have the same feelings, its very scary and in start to panic when i get these feelings but i just have to tell my self im ok but i feel like im about to break.

See a doctor! I wish i could but i have no health insurance =[

Robbed
08-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Feelings of unreality or that you are 'not really here' are EXTREMELY common with anxiety disorder. And they seem to be perhaps the most frightening anxiety symptom. As for what to do to make it go away, try to go about your life as best as you can. Sometimes, going out for a walk in a natural setting is EXTREMELY helpful. Or maybe spending time with a friend. But whatever you do, avoid spending excessive time at home alone. This is a time that you need to be reconnecting with the world. Also, don't be watching the clock or calendar waiting for this to go away. It will likely take some time. And the sooner that you become accepting of this uncomfortable symptom, the sooner you will get better. And finally, it may temporarily get worse after it has improved for some time. This is just the way recovery in general is.

Jay12345
08-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Ive been reading all of 'robbed' replies lately, and i couldn't agree more with every single post :)...

Edren.. the whole 'feeling like your in a dream' is probably the worst symptom that comes with anxiety..probably one of the most uncomfortable feelings anyone can go through, and it's difficult because no-one ever seems to understand, your parents are like 'your fine, stop being stupid'...... Like 'robbed' said, it is so common!! The 'dreamy feeling' is what i worried about!.. i ('worried about worrying') for 4 years..

What you need to understand is that 'all it is, is anxiety'! your still exacty the same person as before, nothing has changed....

YOU NEED TO LEAVE YOUR BEDROOM! the only way you will recover from this is by going out... In my opinion, 'exposure' is the only way anyone can recover from anxiety!

Please look into CBT also..

02Batmobile
08-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Yes, at one time, I didn't even know what I had. I had these feelings of unreality and it freaked me out. I really thought I was losing my mind. I realized what I had was anxiety but I didn't really research it too much and never heard of this symptom being normal. It wasn't until I read an article on Donny Osmond who dealt with anxiety, panic attack and social anxiety, that I felt relieved. He briefly described the feelings and said he had feelings of unreality. At the moment, I felt a comforting feeling over me. What?!?! I was so relieved to hear that someone else felt the same exact way. I started to research a lil' bit, and found out that it is normal. It's called derealization and/or depersonalization. I was feeling a lil' better about it and didn't freak out so much at it anymore. Being that you enclose yourself in your bedroom, it doesn't help. Yes, we all avoid places and things but we need to push ourselves sometimes. Slowly, start exposing yourself to being outside. In fact, don't stay in your bedroom at all. The bedroom is used for one thing only - sleep. Try staying outside your bedroom for most of the day for awhile. Then try staying outside your house for most of the day and so on and so forth. It's a gradual process that will take some time to overcome.

Here's some information about these feelings from my readings:

"The fight-flight response also affects the rate of breathing. Breathing becomes faster and deeper becuse the body needs more oxygen to be able to fight or flee. Oxygen is a source of energy for the muscle tissues. Sometimes, however, breathing can become unbalanced and cause harmless but unpleasant symptoms, such as breathelessness, choking or smothering feelings, and pains or tightness in the chest. Also, the blood supply to the head may be decreased. Although the amount of decrease is small and is not at all dangerous, it produces unpleasant (but harmless) symptoms, including dizziness, blurred vision, confusion, feeling of unreality, feeling as if you are in a dream state, and hot flushes. Again, the protective physical changes produce physical symptoms that might be uncomfortable but they are not at all harmful or a sign that something is seriously wrong."

Hang in there!!
-James (AOL Instant Message Me!!)

Robbed
08-15-2008, 04:51 AM
Although the amount of decrease is small and is not at all dangerous, it produces unpleasant (but harmless) symptoms, including dizziness, blurred vision, confusion, feeling of unreality, feeling as if you are in a dream state, and hot flushes.

Breathing issues CAN cause feelings of unreality. But MOST derealization/depersonalization is actually caused by the altered chemical state of the brain which results from anxiety disorder. In a way, it's not too different from being on a mind-altering drug. Keep this in mind, so that you WON'T get freaked out when you find out that you happen to be breathing in a perfectly relaxed manner while experiencing symptoms of unreality. Simply put, you will experience unreality to at least SOME degree until your brain has settled down from the anxiety state. And this will likely take time.