PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety be ''contagious''?

Kokomo
02-27-2015, 08:42 AM
Hey guys, this is a question that I have asked myself a lot lately. My mom has been through anxiety the last few months, she is really struggling and I have been on the edge all this time. Now I have anxiety, too. All the symptoms she have I have too. It's a very shitty situation and everything is just worst because I don't want her to feel guilty because of me. Even if she doesn't say so.

I just wanted to share this thoughts. What do you guys think about it? Can anxiety be somehow contagious?

Surfside
02-27-2015, 08:49 AM
Well, It can certainly "rub off" on you If you are surrounded by anxious people. When I was a kid, my grandparents were hysterical people by all account. Grandpa would antagonize my grandma to get her throwing dishes. I was just a child, so didn't get it that much though, but now that I'm older, I do in fact see I've inherited some of their anxiety.

I think it can be contagious if you are not able to separate her issues with your own (easier said than done)

jessed03
02-27-2015, 08:51 AM
Emotions can be contagious, sure. When somebody around you is happy, it usually cheers you up. When somebody is excited, it can have an effect on your mood.

I'm not sure why you would catch anxiety though? Don't you know it's all a big bluff; nothing more than smoke and mirrors?

I think if you begin to check your thoughts and prevent them from getting carried away, you should be able to ride it out.

Are you young by any chance? I guess seeing your mom go through something as stressful as anxiety when you're young could really affect a person.

sadiebug
02-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Definitely. When my brother is not medicated I cannot be around him. His tenseness has a powerful effect on my anxiety. If you've ever had a pet, you may notice that they react when you are very anxious. Tenseness is an indicator that there is something wrong, so it is biologically reasonable to react in such a way. Has your mom sought treatment for her anxiety? Taking a break from your mother, and spending time in a more serene or happy environment may be very helpful.

Kokomo
02-27-2015, 09:23 AM
My mom is on treatment now, she has been for a couple of weeks. I'm 19 and I live with her so I am the one who has to see her like that constantly.

NixonRulz
02-27-2015, 09:44 AM
My mom is on treatment now, she has been for a couple of weeks. I'm 19 and I live with her so I am the one who has to see her like that constantly.

Is it helping her in the last few weeks?

jessed03
02-27-2015, 10:04 AM
I hope her treatment is effective for her.

So what type of anxiety have you developed? Do you feel stressed? Have you developed some of your mother's anxious thoughts?

When I was younger I remember my mother being very nervous. I definitely developed quite a bit of that nervousness. Though, I guess at the time I was quite young and didn't really know I had control over my own mind.

willheal
02-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Hey guys, this is a question that I have asked myself a lot lately. My mom has been through anxiety the last few months, she is really struggling and I have been on the edge all this time. Now I have anxiety, too. All the symptoms she have I have too. It's a very shitty situation and everything is just worst because I don't want her to feel guilty because of me. Even if she doesn't say so.

I just wanted to share this thoughts. What do you guys think about it? Can anxiety be somehow contagious?

My girlfriend has Generalized anxiety disorder, and I have Panic disorder. My psychiatrist and my therapist both asked me if we feed off each other's anxieties, or if we help each other.

This is a loaded question though. It's really hard to nail down a direct correlation. With anxiety disorders sometimes there's often no external cause at all. So it's important that you not blame yourself. Instead offer support whenever you are capable, help out with tasks to reduce her stress, and offer support. Otherwise if you feel you cannot it may be best to isolate, distract yourself, or otherwise try to make yourself feel healthier until you are able to help.

This way, you are doing the best you can to help each other when you're not at 100%, while simultaneously not directly causing each other additional stress. If your mom is still stressed out, know that it's because it's a result of her condition and no fault of your own. You will doing your best to provide the best environment you can for her imo

Kokomo
02-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Is it helping her in the last few weeks?

Yeah, she feels more relaxed and can sleep a little better. Her temper is the same tho, but it's been just two weeks.

Kokomo
02-27-2015, 04:52 PM
I hope her treatment is effective for her.

So what type of anxiety have you developed? Do you feel stressed? Have you developed some of your mother's anxious thoughts?

When I was younger I remember my mother being very nervous. I definitely developed quite a bit of that nervousness. Though, I guess at the time I was quite young and didn't really know I had control over my own mind.

I feel very stressed. But I think I have a different kind of anxiety, she is way more nervous than me. But that has been like that even before the anxiety.

NixonRulz
02-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Well it's Friday night, you're young, get out there and have fun and melt your stress away!

Kokomo
02-27-2015, 04:56 PM
My girlfriend has Generalized anxiety disorder, and I have Panic disorder. My psychiatrist and my therapist both asked me if we feed off each other's anxieties, or if we help each other.

This is a loaded question though. It's really hard to nail down a direct correlation. With anxiety disorders sometimes there's often no external cause at all. So it's important that you not blame yourself. Instead offer support whenever you are capable, help out with tasks to reduce her stress, and offer support. Otherwise if you feel you cannot it may be best to isolate, distract yourself, or otherwise try to make yourself feel healthier until you are able to help.

This way, you are doing the best you can to help each other when you're not at 100%, while simultaneously not directly causing each other additional stress. If your mom is still stressed out, know that it's because it's a result of her condition and no fault of your own. You will doing your best to provide the best environment you can for her imo

Thank you, you are totally right