PDA

View Full Version : Heart flutter still?

Charles Price
02-25-2015, 04:50 PM
lately I have been getting heart flutters in the centre of my chest mostly when I'm sitting or laying down. I haven't suffered with any panic attacks or anxiety lately so I wouldn't know what is the cause. My heart rate seems normal in the 70-80 range at rest. I have had many ECG's and the results are fine. Booked in to see the doctor on the 3rd I will insist for him to refer me to see a Cardiologist. I'm afraid it's arrhythmia or something.

NixonRulz
02-25-2015, 06:22 PM
lately I have been getting heart flutters in the centre of my chest mostly when I'm sitting or laying down. I haven't suffered with any panic attacks or anxiety lately so I wouldn't know what is the cause. My heart rate seems normal in the 70-80 range at rest. I have had many ECG's and the results are fine. Booked in to see the doctor on the 3rd I will insist for him to refer me to see a Cardiologist. I'm afraid it's arrhythmia or something.

Hey, Charles - the majority heart flutters, palpitations, skipped beats occur is because of improper breathing

Anxious people tend to breathe shallow with their chest instead of normal breaths that makes the stomach rise and fall.

I still get them all of the time and it just reminds me of my shallow breathing and I breath normally a few times and they go away.

You can always have your heart checked ONCE and then just correct your breathing each time and you will be as good as new

willheal
02-27-2015, 03:41 PM
If they rule everything out, you will be in good company. Fluttering is an extremely common symptom of anxiety, because people with anxiety generally have a very overstimulated sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system.

The palpitations by themselves is completely normal. It's actually kind of expected if you have panic disorder. Your heart rate is perfect. And if your ECG results were normal it is very unlikely that you have an arrhythmia. This is good news. Doing a follow-up with them is great too. It will put your mind at ease. When I went to my cardiologist I ended up crying in his office recently because he told me that I wasn't going to die. So wonderful!! I felt like I was starting a new life.

In my case, things that stimulate the vagus nerve (something simple like indigestion will do this) will trigger my heart to skip a beat. It's a profound and immediate response, it gives me a sinking feeling, and makes me feel like my heart will stop. I think this is actually the cause of anxiety for a large amount of people, especially if you're very sensitive to feeling your own heartbeat a lot of the time.

If you drink alcohol or caffeine, try to reduce this as much as possible. Or just stop. Alcohol and caffeine both interfere with your nervous system. When you are sitting down, ESPECIALLY if you are hunching over, palpitations happen more frequently. Sit up properly. If you are laying on your back, it is also very common because it will put more pressure on the vagus nerve. Maybe lay on your right side, and not in a weird/crooked/propped up position.

Also remember palpitations are not harmful, just annoying. A vast majority of people experience skipped beats and fluttering, all while they're oblivious to it. Your cardio will give you as much information as you want on this. Drill them with as many questions as you can! If they are a good dr they will assuage every single fear you have, no matter how ridiculous they think you are. It's your chance to feel like you're safe so just get it all out. Maybe write stuff down in advance.

If the palps are happening frequently enough to make you feel distraught consider asking your cardiologist about beta blockers! Propranolol or Metoprolol Er (Lopressor) are great. The former is recommended a lot of time--off-label--for just anxiety! For teenagers, even. They will reduce your parasympathetic stimulation and decrease response to adrenaline. That will make you less sensitive to the feelings of your heart (if you have an actual arrhythmia, they keep your heart regular.) BONUS: They make you have less panic attacks because they block receptors involved in fight-or-flight response. This is just a suggestion though, you might not want to be on daily medication. Metoprolol Er helps me out a lot though. It actually gives me that healthy feeling like I can run around like a kid again without worrying.

Anyway I can go on about this forever about this because I just went through the same nerve wracking experience as you. Make sure to report back when you get the news!!

Charles Price
03-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Thank you for your reassurance guys! Sorry for the late reply. I guess it's just a symptom of my anixety, I mostly have them while lying on my left side. Just waiting on receiving a letter in the post to tell me when I can see a cardiologist.

PanicCured
03-05-2015, 05:19 AM
lately I have been getting heart flutters in the center of my chest mostly when I'm sitting or laying down. I haven't suffered with any panic attacks or anxiety lately so I wouldn't know what is the cause. My heart rate seems normal in the 70-80 range at rest. I have had many ECG's and the results are fine. Booked in to see the doctor on the 3rd I will insist for him to refer me to see a Cardiologist. I'm afraid it's arrhythmia or something.

Hey Charles, I have had heart flutters for about 20 years now. What I have are skipped beats or what is known as premature beats. I have had every test known to man multiple times and it's all good! At one point I was getting them about every 5-10 minutes so I made another appointment with a cardiologist to make sure. The guy was a Stanford cardiology graduate senior cardiologist. After the tests, he assured me not only is it not an issue, but I can forget about the whole thing. He said drugs such as Beta Blockers may decrease them, but will not make my heart any healthier. He was a very good guy, put his hand on my shoulder and reassured me it's one of those weird things that simply don't matter. I decided against the drugs so didn't take them. I now actually get them less frequently and it;s ok. I actually asked the Cardiologist, "Do I have the ok to exercise as much as I want and even if it happens during exercise I don't need to worry?" He said "Yes!"

Now, I exercise incredibly rigorous getting my heart beating very fast, and the weird beats actually happen less these days. When I feel it, I don't worry about it. One thing I have noticed and the cardiologist also told me, is when the heart beats fast in exercise, they tend to happen less. Good motivation to workout, huh?

So get all the tests, probably an EKG, echocardiogram, and Holter monitor, and when the cardiologist looks you in the eye and says you are all good, believe him!

For me, they tend to increase with mental strain and alcohol.

willheal
03-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Hey PanicCured that's really comforting to me as well.