PDA

View Full Version : Horror films and Anxiety?

LifeIsABeach
02-24-2015, 12:20 PM
Are these types of films making anxiety worse? I've heard somewhere that it's good to face the fears in real life but how it is with horror films? I am asking because my friends are meeting quite often in one of my friends house and I would join them. Is it a good idea? They don't scare me as much.

gypsylee
02-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Are these types of films making anxiety worse? I've heard somewhere that it's good to face the fears in real life but how it is with horror films? I am asking because my friends are meeting quite often in one of my friends house and I would join them. Is it a good idea? They don't scare me as much.

I don't watch them as much as I used to because I do find they contribute to anxiety. I watched Evil Dead a while ago and had to turn it off half way because it was freaking me out!

raggamuffin
02-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Anything that gets adrenaline pumping can cause anxiety like symptoms. I get it when playing video games online sometimes. People also get it whilst exercising or doing other things that get the heart racing. The more you do these things the less anxious you'll become

Ed

LifeIsABeach
02-24-2015, 02:39 PM
So you say that it's good to face fears?

raggamuffin
02-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Exposing yourself to things that make you feel scared or worried starts to weaken the fear you feel towards such situations. Avoiding such things is a safety behaviour and only serves to empower your anxiety.

Ed

Anxiety34
02-24-2015, 04:38 PM
I use to love watching horror movies up until recently. If I watch them now I tend to have bad dreams. But if it doesn't bother you go for it.

delekatala
02-24-2015, 05:31 PM
Because of my anxiety I do not watch tv, especially news, and most movies set me off too. Though I have a list of safe movies that I can watch no problem.

And while I agree with the sentiments about facing your fears to improve your life, I figure its better to work on things like driving or going out alone rather than something that doesn't really serve my success like movies.

That being said its a personal choice, choose your battles, is it worth coping with the anxiety to watch that new movie that looks good?

gypsylee
02-24-2015, 08:19 PM
I used to love them too but now I think they just give you "bad vibes" - nobody needs to watch all that blood and guts stuff. Also there are no good horror movies anymore anyway :)

Surfside
02-25-2015, 10:27 AM
I love to watch horror films, so long as they are not the demonic type. I quite enjoy the "hack em slash em" type, but, the new ones coming out now are meant to trigger those with anxiety IMHO.

I stick with the classics like FRI 13th / Nightmare on Elm St / Halloween...O and Christine HAHA...:=)

Gawd, though, I would seriously avoid a new one that came out recently "The Den" OMG - Like I needed to know that.

Sorry, I know that makes people curious to want to watch it even more now.....I'll share others later that are "trigger H E Double Hokey Sticks"

gypsylee
02-25-2015, 03:31 PM
I love to watch horror films, so long as they are not the demonic type. I quite enjoy the "hack em slash em" type, but, the new ones coming out now are meant to trigger those with anxiety IMHO.

I stick with the classics like FRI 13th / Nightmare on Elm St / Halloween...O and Christine HAHA...:=)

Gawd, though, I would seriously avoid a new one that came out recently "The Den" OMG - Like I needed to know that.

Sorry, I know that makes people curious to want to watch it even more now.....I'll share others later that are "trigger H E Double Hokey Sticks"

Nothing will ever beat Nightmare on Elm St (the original). I saw that when I was 14yo and it was the scariest thing I'd ever seen and probably always will be. It seems lame when you watch it now but in 1987 it was terrifying!

NixonRulz
02-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Nothing will ever beat Nightmare on Elm St (the original). I saw that when I was 14yo and it was the scariest thing I'd ever seen and probably always will be. It seems lame when you watch it now but in 1987 it was terrifying!

Elm Street 3 was almost as good as the original. The little girl riding a tricycle ringing that bell in their dreams was creepy

Anxiety34
02-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Nightmare on elm street was scary to me but I think Jason was by far the scariest in my opinion. And yes they are so lame when you watch them now your like how was I ever scared of this. Lol

NixonRulz
02-25-2015, 06:27 PM
I remember taking a girl to Friday the 13th thinking she would be all over me because she was scared

I ended up peeing my pants and cried like a little girl at the scary pants and she never spoke to me again

Well actually she did. A few years later she saw me and asked if I still pee my pants.

I may just be having a breakthrough from what caused my anxiety to begin with

I need a drink

gypsylee
02-25-2015, 06:50 PM
I remember taking a girl to Friday the 13th thinking she would be all over me because she was scared

I ended up peeing my pants and cried like a little girl at the scary pants and she never spoke to me again

Well actually she did. A few years later she saw me and asked if I still pee my pants.

I may just be having a breakthrough from what caused my anxiety to begin with

I need a drink

LOL that went well :)

trivedisites
02-26-2015, 04:38 AM
I always like to watch horror movies. They will not cause anxiety if you watch and forget about them. If you continuously thinking about horrors may be it cause..

jessed03
02-26-2015, 04:04 PM

I dunno, Gyps. Kate Winslet's "acting" in Titanic was pretty darn scary...

NixonRulz
02-26-2015, 05:21 PM
I dunno, Gyps. Kate Winslet's "acting" in Titanic was pretty darn scary...

It's weird, I know. But I have a thing for Kate Winslet

She reminds me of a woman from the Victorian era.

Plus she has a cool accent and let go of that jackass' hand and let him sink to the bottom of the sea

gypsylee
02-26-2015, 06:38 PM

Plus she has a cool accent and let go of that jackass' hand and let him sink to the bottom of the sea

I love DiCaprio and even when he did Titanic I thought he was cool. The creepy thing was how much bigger and older than him she seemed.

I think this thread has officially derailed lol.

NixonRulz
02-26-2015, 06:47 PM
I love DiCaprio and even when he did Titanic I thought he was cool. The creepy thing was how much bigger and older than him she seemed.

I think this thread has officially derailed lol.

You can derail any thread, Gypsy

You smoke and everyone knows that all the popular kids smoke

I'm trying to start but I keep coughing.

Wish me luck!

gypsylee
02-26-2015, 06:51 PM
You can derail any thread, Gypsy

You smoke and everyone knows that all the popular kids smoke

I'm trying to start but I keep coughing.

Wish me luck!

Do you want lessons? I'm really good at smoking lol.

NixonRulz
02-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Do you want lessons? I'm really good at smoking lol.

Hahahaha. You are funny. I have a friend that moved to Australia. Do you know Pete?

gypsylee
02-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Hahahaha. You are funny. I have a friend that moved to Australia. Do you know Pete?

Is his real name Peter?

NixonRulz
02-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Is his real name Peter?

It is Pete. he was a Navy Seal for 7 years and he is scary as hell!

I took a trip to Nicaragua once and I asked him if he has ever been there

He looked up at me and said " Never in the daytime"

I just decided never to mess with him at that point

jessed03
02-26-2015, 07:05 PM

Kate is classy as heck. She may even smoke? Someone else will have to confirm that though.

gypsylee
02-26-2015, 07:06 PM
It is Pete. he was a Navy Seal for 7 years and he is scary as hell!

I took a trip to Nicaragua once and I asked him if he has ever been there

He looked up at me and said " Never in the daytime"

I just decided never to mess with him at that point

So he could be in a horror movie? See I got it back on track

Jesse so smoking is classy now? :D

NixonRulz
02-26-2015, 07:13 PM
So he could be in a horror movie? See I got it back on track

Jesse so smoking is classy now? :D

Chicks can French inhale like the US girls did in the 50's

Now people think to smoke is a stigma

Not me. When I learn to smoke I will be one of the really groovy kids

gypsylee
02-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Chicks can French inhale like the US girls did in the 50's

Now people think to smoke is a stigma

Not me. When I learn to smoke I will be one of the really groovy kids

You'll get there Nixon!

NixonRulz
02-26-2015, 07:44 PM
You'll get there Nixon!

You need to change your avatar to your face covered in the nicotine cloud!

It would be mysterious at the same time it would be, uh, ....mysterious