PDA

View Full Version : The Litany Against Fear

jamesc
08-06-2008, 07:01 PM
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

Always loved that quote. Maybe Frank Herbert suffered from anxiety? Heh.

LadyK
08-07-2008, 09:37 PM
I am such a geek that I squealed when I saw this topic!

Do you say it to yourself as much as I do? I'm thinking the mini version will make a nice tattoo. :lol:

02Batmobile
08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
I like that. Really inspirational. I've been thinking about the quote, "There is nothing to fear, but fear itself." lately. I make a joke of it because it doesn't apply to us because that is exactly what we fear! We fear the fear so this statement makes me say, "DUH!!!" :)

Hang in there!!
-James (AOL Instant Message Me!!) :)

jamesc
08-08-2008, 08:34 AM
I am such a geek that I squealed when I saw this topic!

Do you say it to yourself as much as I do? I'm thinking the mini version will make a nice tattoo. :lol:

Nice! A fellow anxiety sufferer who can quote from Dune!

There is hope yet!

Anxious Frank
08-09-2008, 02:57 AM
"I will permit it to pass over me and through me."

This is mindfulness! One of my (many) revelations about fear was when I realised that I didn't have to fight it. I could be with it and examine it. Then it became only fear, and not something I have to worry about or change.

Very nice quote, thanks for sharing:)

I like this one:

Marcus Aurelius:

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.

But this one is my favouritest of all, by Marianne Williams.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won't feel unsure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. As we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.