PDA

View Full Version : How do I let go of my anxiety?

kcains
02-17-2015, 11:53 AM
I've made a lot of progress over these last 8 months of dealing with my anxiety. However, I can't seem to get past this one last hurdle. I think that I’m probably still struggling because I have been worrying about myself so much over the last several months and it’s hard for me to let go of those worries since they have been part of me for so long. It’s taken up so much time in my life and distracted me from what I normally found pleasure in. It’s like it has become a habit for me to check on myself and almost expect for something to be wrong with me. How do I just let go of the worry that something is wrong and allow myself to enjoy things again?

whiterose
02-17-2015, 02:10 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't know. I am experiencing the same thing because it seems every time something goes right then usually its followed by something else going wrong. I know I can't control everything and worrying about it doesn't help. Are you seeing a therapist? Maybe they have an suggestion. I'm in therapy right now and its helping me a lot. Good luck!

kcains
02-17-2015, 02:17 PM
Thank you for your response. I am seeing a therapist. One of the biggest things that we've talked about is how I need to find something productive to do with my time. The problem is that I keep googling and researching anxiety on the internet. I just want to stop checking in on myself and start to enjoy things again. I can't do that while I am constantly worrying about myself.

Deist
02-19-2015, 01:01 AM
I second the advice of finding something to do. I play the drums to release my anxiety. Walking outside, riding a bike, or working out with weights/machines is a great way to release that anxiety. If you can't go to a gym, invest in some dumbbells and an elliptical machine. Regardless, get your body moving!

As far as worrying about if something is going to happen to you...well if it is, it is. There's nothing you can do about it. We all die (fact of life). It is not a question of if, but when and how. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can move on.

What I do is to remind myself that "death is inevitable. Chances are, the when/how are not up to us, and we have no control over it. So screw it...I am going to enjoy today!"

Im-Suffering
02-19-2015, 05:52 AM
I have been worrying about myself so much over the last several months and it’s hard for me to let go of those worries since they have been part of me for so long.

Exactly, period.

However in truth (do not deceive yourself), its been years. You (all of you) build your life around it. Like a beautiful rose bush that frames your garden. Its the first thing people see ! Without that centerpiece the whole mood of that wonderful space would change. The garden would no longer stand out, but become just average, like everyone else's.

Who wants that?

Now, a step further. The garden is exciting because of that rosebush, you see. The repression of life-energies for many years has lifted with now, such a thrilling bush to look at. That gaze is consuming. The gardener in such a case has forgotten the beauty and importance of other plants that if looked at individually, would be just as thrilling, just as beautiful. The more he neglects his garden as a whole, one day he may find a gigantic monster of a rosebush only, with nothing but weeds accompanying it.

Now, from the post above this one :

"What I do is to remind myself that death is inevitable. Chances are, the when/how are not up to us, and we have no control over it. So screw it...I am going to enjoy today"

This implies a loss of control, a gambling of sorts, like a roulette wheel of fate. You can't "enjoy today" when it could so easily be swept from underneath you.

And so that belief (idea about reality) is false. You will see the truth clearly, once you are faced with the prospect of a probable death, looming.

"Live today, because you might die tomorrow" if believed - could add the necessary impetus needed for expression (in people who are "dead to life"). Up against uncertain-untimely death is certainly motive. With an unenlightened society, that concept needed to be adopted en mass, adding value, you see, to the moments. The" moment point" is indeed the point of power, and inherently valuable. In a despondent people however, they lost that integrity. They (you) have forgotten who you are. So transfixed by the illusion of a finite physical "life". It does though, make for a set time, or urgency, to work out the challenges set forth. Better to work it out now, see, than carry it life after life.

As far as "accidents" this is simply not true either. But to elaborate on that here, on this forum would trigger all sorts of confusion and misunderstanding, and backlash from my 'clinical" friends.

Deist
02-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Exactly, period.

However in truth (do not deceive yourself), its been years. You (all of you) build your life around it. Like a beautiful rose bush that frames your garden. Its the first thing people see ! Without that centerpiece the whole mood of that wonderful space would change. The garden would no longer stand out, but become just average, like everyone else's.

Who wants that?

Now, a step further. The garden is exciting because of that rosebush, you see. The repression of life-energies for many years has lifted with now, such a thrilling bush to look at. That gaze is consuming. The gardener in such a case has forgotten the beauty and importance of other plants that if looked at individually, would be just as thrilling, just as beautiful. The more he neglects his garden as a whole, one day he may find a gigantic monster of a rosebush only, with nothing but weeds accompanying it.

Now, from the post above this one :

"What I do is to remind myself that death is inevitable. Chances are, the when/how are not up to us, and we have no control over it. So screw it...I am going to enjoy today"

This implies a loss of control, a gambling of sorts, like a roulette wheel of fate. You can't "enjoy today" when it could so easily be swept from underneath you.

Actually it implies that I am controlling my anxiety, instead of it controlling me.

Life is a big gamble. Every time you drive a car you gamble let that you won't be in a collision. If you are a pessimist and always go negative, life will be difficult. If you can change your outlook to one that is positive, life is so much sweeter.

Im-Suffering
02-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Actually it implies that I am controlling my anxiety, instead of it controlling me.

Life is a big gamble. Every time you drive a car you gamble let that you won't be in a collision. If you are a pessimist and always go negative, life will be difficult. If you can change your outlook to one that is positive, life is so much sweeter.

My full post needs to be taken in the context it was given, it is a complete message.