PDA

View Full Version : Advice for dealing with heart palpitations?

Emilym80
02-16-2015, 11:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on reducing/minimising or better dealing with heart palpitations? I don't really get the sensation of skipped/missed beats anymore (thankfully) but I get heart thudding/pounding quite a lot, especially after light exercise like brisk walking/drumming or sometimes even getting up quickly. I sometimes get them when I'm trying to sleep and needless to say they can be distracting.

I don't so much experience isolated, hard thuds; rather, my heart beats normally if slightly faster than it should (probably below 100 bpm, though) but very hard so it's noticeable.

I've had an ECG, stress test, bloodwork and ultrasound done of the heart and all were fine so I know it's almost impossible that something's actually wrong, but they're just distracting and annoying!

I'd like to exercise more intensely than the brisk walking I've been doing but I can't currently as it would exacerbate a back condition I have. Maybe if I could expend some more energy they'd go away? It probably doesn't help that I'm on holidays at the moment so I'm not doing much with myself. My GAD is, for the most part, fairly good (or at least not too bad) right now.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some tips/advice if you have any. Thanks :)

jessed03
02-17-2015, 12:15 AM
Magnesium can help. So can correct breathing.

Take a look at your breathing right now. Is it strained, or jolty? Do you take sharp inhalations? If so, that can worsen, and even cause, palps.

Emilym80
02-17-2015, 12:36 AM

Take a look at your breathing right now. Is it strained, or jolty? Do you take sharp inhalations? If so, that can worsen, and even cause, palps.

I take magnesium every day but am pretty behind on sleep and think I could almost say categorically that I don't breathe properly throughout the day. I guess these things don't help, but breathing improperly is probably why I get them in the first place. Thanks :)

gypsylee
02-17-2015, 12:49 AM

I was going to say breathing :)

Emilym80
02-17-2015, 01:13 AM

Thank you :)

jessed03
02-17-2015, 10:34 AM

You snooze, you lose.

gypsylee
02-17-2015, 10:48 AM
You snooze, you lose.

LOL. I should be snoozing right now or I'm going to lose today!

kcains
02-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Hi - I too get heart palpitations and have taken all of the tests at my cardiologist. Everything came back normal, but I do get PVCs (which are premature ventricular contractions and feel like skipped/double beats. So, please know that I completely understand how you feel.

Although I sometimes still feel them, I would say that they have diminished for the most part. It could be that they are still there, but my anxiety doesn't have me paying such heightened attention to them. My advice would be to try and not pay it much attention. I found that, once I did that, I became to notice it much less.